How is the interior forward edge of the cabover finished?

j_f

Advanced Member
What's at the front of the FWC bunk, i.e. the interior of the spot where the latches are screwed in? Mine is missing what I'm assuming should be paneling there-- I can see the threads/points of the self-tappers for the latches coming through the bare aluminum, which is a problem since I plan on using my inflatable EXPED up there! assuming there is some kind of furring strip/spacer behind the paneling? Thanks!

I think you mean like this?

IMG_4345.JPG

Sorry for the blurry image. That area normally is covered by a simple piece of carpeting. I shaved those screws flush with a dremel tool

IMG_4346.JPG

and then cut a bit of 1/2" rigid insulation to fit in there:
IMG_4410.JPG

You could put the carpeting back, but after a bad experience driving through an "atmospheric river" I replaced mine with a bit of hypervent, continuing from under the mattress.

What's at the front of the FWC bunk, i.e. the interior of the spot where the latches are screwed in? Mine is missing what I'm assuming should be paneling there-- I can see the threads/points of the self-tappers for the latches coming through the bare aluminum, which is a problem since I plan on using my inflatable EXPED up there! assuming there is some kind of furring strip/spacer behind the paneling? Thanks!
Stick some 1" foam board over it (IE sink the screws into it) so your pad is protected from the screws and also the lip of the aluminum frame.

I think you mean like this?

View attachment 66740
Sorry for the blurry image. That area normally is covered by a simple piece of carpeting. I shaved those screws flush with a dremel tool

View attachment 66741
and then cut a bit of 1/2" rigid insulation to fit in there:View attachment 66742
You could put the carpeting back, but after a bad experience driving through an "atmospheric river" I replaced mine with a bit of hypervent, continuing from under the mattress.
Yep, just like that. I like the non-wood idea. Thanks!
Stick some 1" foam board over it (IE sink the screws into it) so your pad is protected from the screws and also the lip of the aluminum frame.
Great idea. Thanks!

I bought some edge guard after cutting my head on the aluminum angle on the lift board. It was ideal for guarding that sharp edge. The link to the product is in this short string.

Reactions: j_f
Back
Top Bottom