How much wind?

idahoron

Is high winds an issue with a FWC?
I was in 25 MPH wind with mine and it was a little spooky. I set it up and the wind was trying to lift the top. After I got it up and everything in place I was watching the top flexing and got to thinking how much wind can they take?

They have been driven at 70mph with the top up, but that is a head wind. I am not sure what they will take from the side or exactly when your whole rig just tilts over. But it would at least be double, more likely triple your 25 mph. From my own experience I do not recommend taking the top down once the wind has kicked up. Better to tough it out.

There are folks on the forum that have driven on the highway with the top up. The camper survived. As Hittheroad says, the side winds are the spooky, but would have to be a lot stronger than 25 mph to be dangerous.

Just wait until you are woken up in the middle of the night by the flapping sides and howling winds-- :unsure: --and you start wondering was buying this set up the right thing to do!! But so far so good, seven years of fun and adventures and the top is still there. Getting the thing down (or for that matter -up) in the wind/rain and/or snow is a matter of timing, experience and luck and you usually hope for a quick break in the action. I remember that first super bad night out at the lake with all the prior taking place-plus lightning. A LE friend of mine lives accross the lake from where I was camping and watched the show; and actually came out the next morning to see if I was still alive :p ! These things are allot tougher than you think---but sometimes you still wonder!

Smoke

My only lament in high winds has been the tappity-tap of the latches rattling all night long. Fortunately I'm deaf in one ear so I just turn the hearing ear to the pillow and fall right back to sleep!
I think the FWC it pretty durable and solid, I spent a night in 20+ mph sustained winds no problem, and a different night in gusts 35-40 no worse for the wear.

I used to put rubber bands on the latches that would be loose enough to tappity-tap at night.

Otis said:
My only lament in high winds has been the tappity-tap of the latches rattling all night long. Fortunately I'm deaf in one ear so I just turn the hearing ear to the pillow and fall right back to sleep!
I think the FWC it pretty durable and solid, I spent a night in 20+ mph sustained winds no problem, and a different night in gusts 35-40 no worse for the wear.

My only lament in high winds has been the tappity-tap of the latches rattling all night long
The latches swinging in the wind at night drive me crazy. I have found putting them in the closed position after the top is popped up takes care of it.

Ted go out to the garage and unlatch one. Put a rubber band around it, then try to swing it like the wind would. The rubber band keeps both sections together and makes it silent. Let me know if it still works.

Ted & pvstoy,
I'm almost hoping for high winds on the next outing to check out your ideas! Thanks for the practical feedback -

Regards,

"Otis"

i just spent 2 windy nights in the great sand dunes national park (before the shut down of course). it was crazy, i bet sustained 35mph and gust over 70. guess the sand dunes were not formed by calm weather--right--ha

anyway, for sure didnt sleep great, but didnt worry to much about the top coming down. its never gonna crash down and crush you anyway--try putting the top down with all the windows and doors closed--not gonna happen. second night was in a surrounded by trees though--i did worry about a tree falling and killing us

Actually you can put the top down with the window and doors closed if you have a Fantastic Fan. Close everything and put the Fantastic Fan to high exhaust. The sides will suck in once a pressure differentail is created from outside to inside. Lowere top slowly front then back as normal. This is what I do when it's windy. Works great.

I learned to take whatever bungy cords I had laying around, string them together and put them around the tent part of the popup (around the windows). That really helped keep the flapping and snapping of the fabric in the wind to a minimum. Also kept the bungies on that pull the window fabric inwards when you take it down. Much less noise.

brett13 said:
I learned to take whatever bungy cords I had laying around, string them together and put them around the tent part of the popup (around the windows). That really helped keep the flapping and snapping of the fabric in the wind to a minimum. Also kept the bungies on that pull the window fabric inwards when you take it down. Much less noise.
Yup a "gut wrapper" stops a lot of the flapping. Roamin Charriots used the same approach on their campers to pull in the cloth when you dropped the top.

I am a regular browser on this site when I am home anyway and have often wondered why this topic was not brought up sooner. The wind issue is one of the few negative aspects to the pop-up camper. I have a 2005 Hawk on a 2005 Tundra and spend a fair amount of fall and spring time in eastern Oregon while hunting/fishing. The winds can be quite strong to say the least. Annoying and unnerving. I normally back into the wind to camp and once while sleeping (ear plugs) the back side of the camper collapsed and when I awoke the next morning found the sleeping side fortunately only side up. The wind must have popped the snap causing the panel to collapse. Needless to say I am very cautious in windy conditions. Many times I have slept on the couch with the roof down. When I am out for the day I usually knock the camper down just to be on the safe side. This causes condensation to be an issue (not airing out) but that is another topic. Still love my FWC and way more positives to outweigh the negatives. Just be aware out there. Thanks for the voice.

Rick thanks for the input. I have been parking with the on coming wind at the front of the truck. I have been in some strong wind this month and it is spooky. Ron

Never had a wind issue, never popped it down because of the wind. It takes a lot to get my big heavy truck rocking but I have it rocking and the camper feels rock solid. Noise can be an issue but thats about it.

Back
Top Bottom