How rain proof are "pop-ups?

Riverrunner

One of my concerns with a FWC or ATC is how well the canvas will keep the rain out. I live in the western part of Oregon and a majority of my camping will be from the late fall to early spring with an occasional trip in the summer. My thought is to get the least amount of roof penetrations as possible. The one piece roof on the FWC is a big deal to me but then I question the inside storm flaps...

I did a search and found that there were some issues with leaks on all brands and I understand that happens in an RV. That can be fixed but can I expect to stay completely dry when the wind is howling, rain is sideways, and accumulations will be and inch or more in a 24hr period? Or am I expecting too much?

as for the soft sides, not a problem unless there is a hole. the newer units are made from the zodiac boat material, (hypolon, spelling?) say no more, bullet proof. as for the older canvas if treated properly, like wall tents will last a lifetime.
of course up here in bc we do not get the rain that u oregon guy's get, ha ha

I've never had one bit of leaking...and I don't recall anyone else on WTW mentioning that, either. (I haven't done a search...but it must not be common) People aren't shy about posting "issues"...so I think it's a non-issue. If it happens it's gotta be rare.
After all, even tents can be leak free -- the only tent I've had that leaked (in decades of tent camping) was one that I let mildew, which ate holes in the coating.
Worry-not!
smile.gif

I've never had one bit of leaking...and I don't recall anyone else on WTW mentioning that, either. (I haven't done a search...but it must not be common) People aren't shy about posting "issues"...so I think it's a non-issue. If it happens it's gotta be rare.
After all, even tents can be leak free -- the only tent I've had that leaked (in decades of tent camping) was one that I let mildew, which ate holes in the coating.
Worry-not!
smile.gif

2X-just need to buy some of that seal that they spay on as part of the normal yearly maint. Oh yah, remember to shut the top vent and rear door if it rains to hard!:LOL:

Smoke

Pretty much all the camping in my Hawk was done in wet WA (we just moved in the fall) and I never had any leaking. Condensation from your wet gear can happen but that's different obviously.

Only thing I recall in some of the older ones is folks complained that while driving in a lot of rain the velocity of driving would sometimes push rain up under the lip of the roof so FWC added a bulb seal along the front which fills up the gap in the front to detour this.

I've been in very heavy rain with high winds and not a bit of a problem. Now you're sleeping inches away from the roof so the noise may keep you up. Other that, assuming you've not done something wrong you should stay high and dry.

Sounds like the rain is a non-issue. :cool: I use 303 on my boat canvas so I'm good to go.

Now to figure out what I think I need and how to make it work for my use. More crawling around this great forum.

UglyScout - I'm just down the road from you in Mac. :)

I think the few threads Ive read about leaking have had to do with older FWC's. I have one of the newer campers with the new material and if it is Hypalon it should be bomber, Hypalon is the coating that has been used for many years on higher quality whitewater rafts and it's known for it's durability and resistance to sun damage. There are many 20+ year Hypalon rafts on the water that have been subjected much abuse and they are going strong.

I also never had any issue with my previous camper with the older material. I think the way FWC attaches the canvas and the material they use is one of FWC's strong points. I have heard of problems with other popup (new) camper brands but not with FWC.
It also does well in the wind also imo.

Sounds like the rain is a non-issue. :cool: I use 303 on my boat canvas so I'm good to go.

Now to figure out what I think I need and how to make it work for my use. More crawling around this great forum.

UglyScout - I'm just down the road from you in Mac. :)

If you want to come see an old beat up FWC send me a PM - you are more than welcome to take a look at it...

Back
Top Bottom