How to Fix This?

PJorgen

A squirrel got into my FWC Hawk and, although the top was down, somehow managed to chew big holes in the canvas top - see attached photos. Any suggestions how to repair this? I'm at a total loss.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
-PJ

Attachments

• IMG_3109.jpg
    IMG_3109.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3110.jpg
    IMG_3110.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 65
Wow! That is nasty… I don’t believe it’s going to be easy to repair.

Did your insurance company cover your camper? Have you talked to FWC regarding the possibility of repairing successfully?

If I owned the camper, I’d consider a complete replacement, and I’d ask for a quote from both FWC & ATC.

I’m sorry that happened to your camper.

They make some adhesive patches but I think you'd have to apply on both sides and then would it still fold down? I don't know if that'd be a good option. You could certainly try before spending the money on a new top.

I’ve not spoken to either FWC or ATC as I discovered this just today. Will certainly contact them next week
Thanks for the suggestion about contacting my insurance company. I had not thought of that and my camper is covered.

UPDATE - talked to State Farm, I have an insurance rider for the camper so they agreed that it's covered. Two third-party companies are now involved. One is getting estimates for the cost of the repairs, the other is valuing the camper to determine if it is worth repairing. Seems rather complicated but I guess that's the way they do business.

I've spoken to both of these organizations. I recommended to the first one that they contact FWC and ATC for repair estimates and suggested to the other that they use this website to get comps for used FWC prices.

I remain cautiously optimistic but am prepared to fight if either of them come back with unreasonable values. I'll provide more updates as I learn more.

I spoke to Marty at ATC in early June. New canvas for a Grandby or a Keystone is $1950 or $3150 installed. At least you are closer to Sacramento than I am.

Dan

UPDATE - talked to State Farm, I have an insurance rider for the camper so they agreed that it's covered. Two third-party companies are now involved. One is getting estimates for the cost of the repairs, the other is valuing the camper to determine if it is worth repairing. Seems rather complicated but I guess that's the way they do business.

I've spoken to both of these organizations. I recommended to the first one that they contact FWC and ATC for repair estimates and suggested to the other that they use this website to get comps for used FWC prices.

I remain cautiously optimistic but am prepared to fight if either of them come back with unreasonable values. I'll provide more updates as I learn more.
I am just curious. Did they believe it was done by a squirrel?

I am just curious. Did they believe it was done by a squirrel?
Interestingly, State Farm didn't really seem to care what the cause was. I guess because it's covered by comprehensive, there is no question of fault. Could have been a squirrel, a kid or a drunk friend, it's covered.

I know it was a squirrel because the squirrel ran out when I opened the camper door. Guess I need to be more careful when I close it up.

UPDATE – I dropped the camper at ATC last week. Met Brad, Marty’s son, very nice guy and now part owner of ATC.

I learned that with my 2014 vintage FWC the roof skin is glued to the frame and Marty warned me that it will probably be destroyed when they remove it. So, the roof will need to be replaced as well and that adds about $700, although it’s covered by insurance. I’m pleased to be getting a new ATC roof as it’s an improved design; it’s corrugated and attached with screws so that should reduce flexing in the wind.

I also discovered that the rear flood lights no longer work, but all other electrical is OK. It’s not a blown fuse so I’m thinking the squirrel chewed the wires. I hope they find the damage and can repair it as they replace the roof and canvas.

I also spoke with FWC about doing the repair. Their cost estimate was more than twice ATC’s and they couldn’t fit the work in until September. In addition, going to FWC would add about 60 miles to my round trip. FWC is a great company, but the additional cost, distance and timing made choosing ATC pretty easy.

Good news! I think you’ll like the ATC roof, while it’s an older design, and the screws require attention, I believe it’s more solid, and the insulation seems better.

The ATC team is great.

Good decision to go with ATC. Last year I remover/replaced the roof screws.
Added new sealant and made sure it squeezed out and over the screw head.
Great that insurance covered your issue.

If you haven't had this repaired yet did you consider a taller liner?
Frank

The screws may need to be resealed occasionally, that's all. It's an easy afternoon's job to do that.... And as for insulation, when I was there in March Marty was pretty pleased to have a new source for insulation that is even better than the rockwool they were using. "Small moves Ellie, small moves" yield big changes over time.

I hadn’t considered a taller liner but don’t think I need it. I’m 6’ tall and have no problem standing in the camper with the roof up.

Final Update - Picked up the camper from ATC last week. I'm very pleased with the result, excellent workmanship, looks like new. ATC added insulation in the roof which, combined with the corrugated material will keep it quieter in the rain and wind and probably warmer in the winter. They also found the chewed wires and repaired them so now all electrical works again. My insurance covered everything but the deductible so I'm not out of pocket for much.

One unexpected benefit; Marty asked that we remove everything from the camper before we dropped it off so they didn't have to work around our gear. When we got it home we gave it a good cleaning and sorted through all our stuff. Put back only about two-thirds of what we had in it originally. Amazing how much stuff we thought we needed but never used. Big win all around.

I've learned my lesson, don't leave the door open!

Back
Top Bottom