How to Pass the Time

Wallowa said:
Paw,

You ordered from Tigard dealer on Nov 17th? How and who notified you that your FWC would be in on Jan 18? I ordered our Hawk from them on 11-18 and have not heard a word since. Only date mentioned to us was "in February".

Hmmmm....may give Jeff a call.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Phil
Phil,

We originally ordered from Keri, but it sounds like she is no longer with the company.

Jeff called us a few days ago to set the schedule.

I don't have any serious complaints, but the FWC ordering process through them hasn't been as fun as we expected it to be..

They gave me a pretty hard time when I wanted to install items myself instead of ordering directly from FWC.

I understand there are liability issues and some customers may get into trouble just trying to save money, but I'd have to believe that a more "outfitter" based dealer like Equipt or Adventure Trailers would have just given me the boiler plate info and taken my money..

Communication hasn't been the greatest and I always get the feeling we're a nuisance to them although I feel we've been pretty low maintenance. Knew exactly what I wanted and was ready to pay asap etc..

-KP

KP, [Been there; done that... ;)]

The Tigard store I believe opened July or August or there abouts. Jeff was enjoyable to talk with and walked us through our order and emphasized that he was not paid by commission but was there to offer his professional information to questions we asked. Candid and low key. We also had done our home work and pretty much knew exactly what we wanted in and on our Hawk. Only item we added to the extensive options list we purchased was the side awning after Jeff walked us through it...and my Bride lighted up upon seeing the potential uses..done deal, add it on!

Stan and others at FWC answered my many questions while I was analyzing what we both needed and wanted plus the utility of each item.

Here is where I feel they miss the boat at least for me: Construction dimensional details. I have watched Tom's videos and yes they were mostly informative but I for one would appreciate the dimensions and component details of the camper; all the measurements with explanations. Just me, but I appreciate details. Also simple things like the amperage draw of each piece of electronics and for example the BTUs of the heater.

One last thing. I understand that FWC weighs each camper it ships out; is that accurate?

I will weigh my truck now [each axle and total] sans tailgate, SnugTop and rear seats but with added front receiver hitch, RideRites and Hellwig anti-sway bar. Love my Tundra but I recognize that the less weight and where the weight is distributed will be critical for my off road aspirations.

Oh yes, Jeff said our Hawk will be there at end of Jan and we will get it installed first of Feb.

Take care and thanks for the information.

Phil

Wallowa said:
-- snip--

One last thing. I understand that FWC weighs each camper it ships out; is that accurate?
--snip--

Phil
My 2014 Hawk had the as manufactured final weight listed on the paperwork. I would expect that is still their practice.

Patience is a virtue, Grasshopper. :)
Paul

Thanks for letting us know your difficulties. I'm sure Stan is reading this and will communicate with the dealer. Seems some companies don't understand the importance of communication. I had similar issues with FWC before the new management. No real problem but when you're waiting three months it would be nice to get an occasional update. Same issue with Aluminess when I bought my bumper. Once they took my money I never heard from them until it shipped. Quite alright if it ships in a couple weeks, not so much when it turns into months.

Aaaaand- Delivery delayed. Date moved from the 18th to the 22nd. Not like I was going to take it out in the middle of the week anyway. I may sleep in it in my driveway though. :)

Paw,

Same here. Our Hawk was originally to be shipped to Tigard 1-28; now closer to 2-23. I assume that with the big influx of orders before the price increases they are a tad behind. Like you we are in no hurry and it will always be a crap shoot on the weather to and from Portland. Hey, it is an adventure correct? ;)

Phil

Same Here...Been so busy reading all i can. And installing side rail steps and getting used to the new truck. Still have front hitch and camper tie downs to go. And back seat storage, and ,,,Figure it will take at least a week to figure out the solar set up and what else needed to go with that. Whew, hope it doesn't get here early,,,,nah

Has anyone had to wait longer than what the seller has told them?
I waited 14 months for a Moby1 XTR ( was told the build time would be 6-8 months) only to have it 4 months before demanding a refund because of it leaking in the rain.

I DONT want to go through that again.

Bomb,

A lot of variables in that question. When you order, where you order and what you order; they all can affect when you get the camper as opposed to when the dealer said it would arrive. Key is manufacturer, FWC, is the part of the matrix that must juggle all the balls and produce the products; not the dealer. Weather, number of orders, shipments from suppliers, work force changes, etc, etc...it goes on forever with a custom made product.

I ordered Hawk on November 18; supposed to have it installed February 25. Think holidays and tons of orders before prices went up; I am very happy with getting our Hawk when we are.

Only certainty is that is will arrive when it gets there... :D If you kick back and let it play out, there will be less stress and more enjoyment when you do get it.

Now if after waiting there is a problem with the camper....well, that is a horse of a different color... ;) Like your Moby 1 XTR. Oh...14 months? Even 6-8 Months? Were they mining the minerals and growing the wood?

Phil

There are scheduled delivers to the dealer. Our dealer knew when the delivery was. FWC ships 4-5 campers on their flatbed trailer & truck. It depends on how many orders the dealer has as to when it will be loaded for delivery. JD

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Yes, FWC schedules deliveries to the dealers...BUT those dates can change depending on FWC's production vagaries. Our delivery date was originally scheduled by FWC to be at the dealer's on 1-28 and was changed to 2-23.

"It ain't over until the ......... sings!"

Phil

Wallowa said:
Bomb,
Oh...14 months? Even 6-8 Months? Were they mining the minerals and growing the wood?

Phil
I don't even want to think about it anymore :cautious: . I'm just really glad I got my $$$ back because I think the FWC fits my needs and is such a better product. The setback in all of this has allowed me to save for a much better rig .. Truck & Camper.

I thought if I told my story it might help those who have ants in their pants :p .

I feel all your pain. I looked at hawks for a year. rv shows. used ones, even looked at palominos. used and new. but wanted a fwc hawk ever since I talked to tom from fwc years ago at the offroad expo. so when the wait was down to 12 weeks I ordered mine. got it in time for thanksgiving trip. for passing the time I went to camping stores each week and got all the gear to outfit it. adding led exterior lights, power panel, solar, inverter ect. now I hear the wait is 23 weeks. worth the wait, but man that would be a stretch.

Our '16 Hawk has exceeded our expectations...I believe it will continue to extend our off road adventures far beyond what we did with a tent; now if we can just find someone to take care of our cats while we are gone!...

We bought it loaded with options and never looked back...everything from FWC contributes to the usefulness of the Hawk.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom