I am getting another new set of tires.

idahoron

Well back in July last year I needed tires bad. At that time I was camping in a camper shell and my stock tires were P rated tires on y 05 tundra DC. So I up graded to a set of C rated tires and then ordered my Hawk about a month later. I picked up the hawk with the C rated tires and it felt a little squishy. About a month later I put on my winter tires and they were a set of D rated tires. I upped the pressure in the firestone bags and I loved the ride and no more squishy feeling.
Well I have had my highway tires back on now for a while and I am not liking them again. So today I ordered some Michelin LTX m/s2. E rated tires. I went ahead and ordered 5 so I could have a new spare. I have read some good things about these tires, I hope I like them. My take offs will be stored and my son will be putting them on his 4 runner in about a year. I get them this Friday and I am going to try them out on a trip this weekend.

E-Rated Tries Are The Way To Go When Hauling Any Good Amount Of Weight... imho

Idahoron,

I have the Michelin LTX tires in E-rating on my Ram 2500 and I will say they are a great tire for the highway. Very smooth running! Mine are getting close to being done and will replace them with a much more rugged tire this time. In fact I'm looking at some of the mud terrains. I drew a great archery elk tag in UT this year and it'd be nice to have more aggressive tires for the hunt just in case the monsoons hit with a vengeance.

You'll love the Michelin tires Ron.

Let us know how you like the Michelin's, The E-rated LTX/MS are currently my target replacement set. I have 7mil left on my firestone AT originals (C-rated). They have 114,000kms (approx. 71,000 miles) on them and don't want to wear out.

I got an honest 70,000 miles out of a set E-rated LTX/MS tires on my Superduty. She's a longbed Crew Cab 4WD diesel and checks in at around 8,500 lbs lightly loaded and pushes 10,000 fully loaded. The tire wear for that weight of vehicle was phenominal. After a failed experiment with a set of 33" Terra Grabblers (barely saw 35,000 miles and proved IMPOSSIBLE to keep balanced), I'm back to Michelins with a set of E-rated LTX/AT2 rubber and I love them more them even more than the M/S. A bit more "sing" on the highway, but EXCELLENT snow tires, and good enough mud tires. My buddy put a set of the AT2s on his 2006 Taco last summer and has sung the praises ever since. He keeps a fairly heavy fiberglass shell mounted, a bunch of gear on board, and a receiver-hitch mounted bike rack or a hitch-hauler is normally installed, and he loves those rock-steady tires.

Foy

My truck came with the Michelins. I got horrible wear and handling from mine. One time I had to run chains for a few miles and they left divots in the tire. My experience does seem to not be the norm. Still once bitten twice shy. My BFGs are barely showing any wear and handle great.

Michelins are made at different grades. My XL are wearing great, a good friend is getting ready for new ones on his Sprinter after 98,000 miles.

Bill

The Michelin LTX m/s2 are the best tires I have ever had on my Tundra. They handle my eagle camper like a champ. Idahoron just make sure you rotate in the spare every time you rotate the tires or it will be useless after some time

I got my new tires on. I drove away from the lot and I instantly knew they didn't air them up enough. I turned around and went back and found they were 45 pounds front and back. I have them put the front at 70 and back at 80 and they felt like a million bucks coming home. I will report later how they do.

I've been thinking about it. I bought my Dodge used and it came with Michelin tires and I'm at 89k miles right now. These tires could be the stock set, but I don't know.

I was heading up Owens Valley Memorial Day weekend when a bomb went off in the back of the truck. I got it pulled over and discovered the tire blew and took out the side of the truck. I put on the spare, picked up the pieces and continued on for a fun weekend. I'm glad it was the rear and not the front.

The tire was a BFG all terrain load range E with about 30% of the tread left. I had checked the pressure before I left and had no warning before it blew. I've had tires bubble and separate before but you usually get a vibration ahead of time. I could have picked up a nail and the tire went down but there was no pulling to the side that happens with a low tire.

Costco covered part of the replacement cost but the insurance deductible is on me. I've had good luck with BFGs in the past and I like how they support off road causes so I'll continue with them. I hope this was a fluke. The truck goes to the shop monday where they'll pull the bed , cut off the side and weld on a new one.

IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg

Truck held up pretty good, under the circumstances.... bummer deal.

I had that happen on my old chevy truck with the huge heavy hard side camper while towing the Jeep. Was a major reason why I have what I have now. Also why I don't mess around with worn tires. Just not worth it. Where you headed when this happened?

craig333 said:
I had that happen on my old chevy truck with the huge heavy hard side camper while towing the Jeep. Was a major reason why I have what I have now. Also why I don't mess around with worn tires. Just not worth it. Where you headed when this happened?
Craig,

I was headed to the cottonwood kilns for our annual family campout. The blowout happened at Little Lake.

I've stuck with Michelins for my last four vehicles--since 1983. LTX/MS on the 91 Vanagon that I put 350,000 miles on and now on my Ford Ranger with a Ranger2. I think they're really good tires. Not sure for real serious off-road stuff, but reliable, wear well, good on snow. Really like them.

Back
Top Bottom