I am starting to really dislike my camper solar

Amps are a measure how many electrons are flowing, current, analogous to measuring gallons per minute of water flow.

Volts measure how much energy each electron contains, analogous to water pressure.

Solar panels only put as much energy into each electron, volts, as necessary to move them into the destination (battery) but not to exceed the "deadhead" capacity of the panel and sun available. The solar panels unused capacity to add additional energy (actual voltage versus "deadhead") is not utilized and so "lost". An MPPT controller creates a temporary new destination of higher voltage than the battery and then steps down the extra volts to create additional amps going out to the battery.

Water systems use a variety of "devices" to control pressure (volts) and flow (amps) like pipe size, valves, pumps, water tanks... The MPPT equivalent for water flow is called a "water hammer pump" where more gallons at low pressure flow through the "water hammer" and create a new lower flow at higher pressure (invented many years ago). A battery is equivalent to a water tank on top of a hill. A solar panel would be equivalent to a water pump.

Watts is a definition (or tool) used in calculations to solve the law of physics that "energy must be conserved, neither created nor destroyed". Outcome calculations use several equations at the same time, conservation of energy equation combined with operating characteristics of the device equations.

I still have no opinion on FWC camper electric systems. I balanced out my system prior to purchase and it has worked fine in the field since thanks to no bad connections between the truck and camper.

"Lost" and "missing" watts occur more than most folks are aware. If a battery charges at 13.6 volts and discharges at 12.6 volts, then some watts are "missing". Charging and discharging a battery creates heat, a warmer battery, and this comes at the expense of "lost" input watts of about 10%, i.e. we get 10% fewer watts out of our battery than we put in.

iowahiker said:
My Ford F-150 alternator hooked up to a 6 volt battery with good wiring and no controller or fuse will produce 130 amps and boil the 6 volt battery or burnout the alternator or both.

The alternator is a fixed voltage device with variable amps.

I hate to burst your bubble. The alternator in your F150 varies the voltage. it is not a straight voltage regulator.

I was lucky to get 5 amps charging into my house battery a short time after starting. the truck voltage drops to 13.2V at the truck battery and at the house battery.

That's why I say it is not a reliable high power charging source.

2011 F150

OK...we have beat this battery to death..but my take away from is that the FWC solar/electrical [water for that matter] serves perhaps 98% of the owners just fine ["I still have no opinion on FWC camper electric systems. I balanced out my system prior to purchase and it has worked fine in the field since thanks to no bad connections between the truck and camper."]....

And the descriptive equation Watts = Amps x Volts...and for the record electrons do not flow...and the laws of thermal dynamics are still valid....

Hey, nothing is so simple that it can't be made more complicated and of course I might be wrong... :D

Phil

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Y'all are awesome.

I've been camped in middle of nowhere (near Como, Colorado for anyone who cares to map it) at a friend's house down a dirt road for the past bunch of days. Pulled my back a bit, so been recuperating. I'll do a write-up soon :)

Tomorrow I head to Tucson, first through some snow... I'll be on the road this time for about a week, with enough driving that I don't expect to have any power/solar issues.

I'd like to get my MPPT controller installed, but until I get a job, that might not be possible since I'm not sure I can do it myself.
How difficult is it? I mean, I've pulled my current controller and see the few wires... but I don't want to hurt my system by accident.

I'm much better with mechanical things than electronic....

(1975ish Yamaha RD350 cafe racer I built from mostly stock bike)

cUnuBioOktG7WXlMRrvdM8-z_WKJtW0tw6AYpWZZxTYKL-HGVQeG5O8nw37eexJvxqY9vpWc-JDXZEXYcDm7hIZkmT5kVdFw8p8Zw-dpSidMIHmSa8Z_DW_XsNASXjNGCUyRhp1hOqFVK8Lj3JnK6DtCdL0w1NF70UoLy3Ad_L9g_NcCyitHAtnz1ikQ_kLVfRy6jDI2HR8_sYxikAI35QhSf2oDhUiEWb5G1R42d-hzhe-vTfntjmnFMKnwo_UBOEvckOWaNtW2uwhdZ62U77kQCGaKX46LvkQ6WTrb0w5_xnnEvHIs5kNc6ylZdFVWqfAS4Fp8rtJyE_4mEff97BXBP1AlO9oC2MDp9oA4t8hyaW8uxqjXXqA8Zi6mKz2KX1TE3HSKh_vil4L1JVvhcGZg-CCs2uwlGM66Vcr2Vya6PIuwCYxNu9DoWLF4T_TyMdwoWxIi2bEpu1jT3wYOqI6WVrDOXuise2Uw4YfzJA68Vfe9NjwSfjgPOXJdeLZLGAMf1bW-15_JfgLiqlYTgRVNkRhj58wjwR0cRekyQ4GbsV6jrOZb7etHyHUTxkh7UAGBD9qw84qfP7thE4nNNoVGBx5ZYkD-OhcruHOyPsMFWZaWaTKV_TiX6f2wtJoF=w2432-h1454-no

I'm not much help being in Africa traveling, but the controller has two inputs one negative and one positive. It has two outputs one negative and one positive . The old controller should have the same. Mark the wires, you can use tape and write on it where each wire came off the old controller.

Remove old controller and mount new one and attach wires.

It would be good to disconnect the panels and cables at the battery.while you do this.

My brain is full and 9:20 at night time for bed.

Wiring up your new controller should be easy peasy.

You posted a picture of your existing one in post #41 of this thread - quick link to that.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/...ly-dislike-my-camper-solar/page-5#entry203203

Your new one looks something like this
BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 & 100/50 - Victron Energy

1) Disconnect camper battery positive cable at the battery

2) Break the connection to the solar panels if you can... roof top or elswhere?

3) Grab the charging requirements for your specific batteries from the manufacturer

- steps 1 and 2 are optional - and safety related

4) Dismount the existing controller from its current home so you can get at the wires

5) Confirm that the new on will fit where the old one was

6) Move the Battery #1 Primary wires on your existing controller (keeping the white +ve wire going to the +ve connection on the Victron, in case you need that spelled out for you) to the Victron BATT connections.

7) Move the Solar Panel connection from your existing controller over to the Victon PV connectors

8) Ignore the load connections on the Victron for now

9) Adjust settings - only if necessary - (update firmware if asked) using the bluetooth interface, and the battery specifics you got earlier.

This video might help

10 ) If you share the battery specifics here, then we can help you with the configuration/settings.

Oh, and the new controller is too big to fit in existing location! Also, with no readout, might be kinda weird mounted on my cabinet front area like current one. Either I'll hafta figure out a new location and do some "adjustments", or I'll have to biggy-size the current recrangle.

Bother! My first post didnt post. Grrr.

Summary cuz typing on phone sux. :

First night boondocking with furnace running. 7pm @ 98% and 12.6v

Dawn,

Just curious if you still plan to install the MMPT controller? I am new to this stuff and have no expertise to offer, but it just seems like your system is now working well so maybe leave it be?

Mthomas said:
This thread got long: can someone summarize what went wrong and what the fix was?

1) Lack of good battery monitoring. Victron BMV recommended and installed
2) Bad battery separator found and replaced. Blue Sea ML-7622 ACR recommended, different brand/model installed

3) It was possible that the controller had failed (again) or that she had insufficient charging happening either via her truck's alternator or the solar panels. That does NOT look to be the case at this time. However, without doing #1, there was no way to tell.

Read the thread(s)... :unsure:

Vic Harder said:
Troll?

1) Lack of good battery monitoring. Victron BMV recommended and installed
2) Bad battery separator found and replaced. Blue Sea ML-7622 ACR recommended, different brand/model installed

3) It was possible that the controller had failed (again) or that she had insufficient charging happening either via her truck's alternator or the solar panels. That does NOT look to be the case at this time. However, without doing #1, there was no way to tell.

Read the thread(s)... :unsure:
Come on this person is not a Troll [why the label? What would be gained by whatever tolling is?]....looks like their first post...they were interested, open the thread and saw #254 posts which would overwhelm anyone...and this thread has wandered a tad..

And you did not answer that person's first question: "what went wrong".....replacing components is assumed to be a cure not a cause...without a defined problem the solution can't be defined...

I do not think Dawn ever lost all of her battery power and was without needed electricity to power essentials or start the Tacoma.

Adjudging when low battery reserves are too low depends on a ton of variables....just my take and I could be wrong :D

Phil

I thought that was the original problem. Loosing power to where not recovering. Maybe I’m missing something.
Truck starting battery was never an issue, as far as I remember.
Russ

Hi!
Original problem: power in not keeping up with power out in unusually fast timeframe. Would camp in full sun with other ppl with same set up, and I'd get scary low and they would be fine.

I'd go drive around for two hours and it wouldn't help.

I took camper in multiple times to have power system checked to be told only that the batteries were fine (must be in your head)

I should have done more research - I had never heard of "battery separator".

So far what's helped:
Replace fridge door seal
Replace dead battery separator (so now its charging from truck while driving)
Install Victron monitor so I can see what the usage really is (my current controller doesn't tell much)

I do want to install the MPPT controller - partly cuz I have it :) and partly cuz of the energy save aspect of how it works more efficiently than the other type some acronym I've forgotten. Theres details about that in this thread :)

I think that does it. I'd still like to get a portable panel for cloudier days, but that'll hafta wait til I get re-employed.

Oh! More summary: the folks on this forum have been more than helpful! It helps put my mind at ease here full-timing on the road and knowing there is so much support out there.

Back
Top Bottom