I want to drill some holes....

radarcontact

...into the siding of my 2015 Hawk. My wife wants me to rig up some kind of outdoor shower curtain, and I ran across a picture of some brackets someone installed on the side of their trailer for this purpose:

mount.jpg

The brackets attach with machine screws. Does anyone know if I can drill into the side of the Hawk and get the screws to bite, without damaging anything?

My plan is to get some PVC pipe that I can easily put up and take apart to make the rod.

I've emailed 4WC but thought I'd post here as well.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't put any holes in the side of my FWC. You would want to hit an aluminum frame, and you could end up shorting out the wiring if you hit a place with wires. That would be a disaster.

There have been posts with some people attaching to the rack on the roof

You could get a shower tent so you don't have to take everything down when you take off for the day.

I have a brand new shower tent that has never come out of the package as we find places like the YMCA or other workout places where we can get free showers. Just my 2-cents worth.

jd

longhorn1 said:
You could get a shower tent so you don't have to take everything down when you take off for the day.
2x on the shower tent....put that drill away.
This tent pops up in a second (spring loaded).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AT3SZ36/ref=asc_df_B01AT3SZ365089054/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01AT3SZ36&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167119746601&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8115751717743680683&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028783&hvtargid=pla-304268645982

BkS11B5.jpg

If you do go that way, the brackets are called pipe flanges. One of those fittings that might be hard to find if you don't know their name. I wouldn't want to use them for that; if you use galvanized metal pipe for the curtain rod, it will be way too heavy, and if you use pvc pipe, I can see accidentally stepping on the curtain or pulling down on it too hard and snapping off the pipe at the flange. And the 90's on the curtain rod would have to be unglued slip fittings so you could take the thing off, and unglued pvc tends to come apart when you least expect hit, i.e. mid shower. You could use unions (a threaded disconnect fitting for plumbing) to take the thing off if you wanted to glue the 90's or use threaded fittings, but it would be sort of a pain to try and thread the curtain rod up there with the curtain hanging off of it. But it could work....

I think it is in Bombsight's build thread, where he used the Yakima tubes on the roof rack to place dowels into, and hung the curtain off of that. I will probably go that way when we get our FWC; at least until the warranty expires, I don't plan on any holes in the skin that FWC doesn't do themselves.

No worries about hitting wires in the first 4 1/2 inches down from the top of the cabin. You have 1" tube then roughly 4 1/2 " channel with balsa end grain ply shoved in it as a backing plate for parts that are mounted on the upper exterior sidewall such as an awning and latches for the roof. If you want to mount a shower curtain this is the place to do it. As a side note I replaced the end grain balsa plywood with Aztek man made "wood" due to mold.
Cheers

I have drilled a few holes in my camper, awning, bottle opener, moved the sink drain. Do a Google picture search for FWC framing to get a rough idea where the reinforced areas are. Add a dab of Sikaflex or some butyl tape to prevent leaks.

If you have a Hawk, a peek at my Gallery will show you where all the inside members are.

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:1099]

You might try 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape. I know that might sound crazy, but it is pretty strong. I have seen metal break before the tape bond did. Make sure you do get 10 mil or thicker version and use on perfectly flat spot. I saw a PVC shower at the Sonoma Rally last April and it was not bolted on. Wish I had pictures of it, but I remember it was about the diameter of a closet rod with rubber boots extendable closet rods us and then bungee corded to the bracket that holds your jack stands on the front. Not sure how the cord was attached in the rear as I only saw it from a short distance and from the front. But it wasn't bolted to the side. Personally, I would avoid that unless it was absolutely perfectly done to an inside member like Vic said.

3M YouTube Demo:

Thanks for all the helpful replies, everyone. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but all the information submitted definitely helps.

Back
Top Bottom