I5 bridge collapses Mount Vernon, WA

clikrf8

Today, a major bridge crossing the Skagit River near Mount Vernon, WA collapsed. You may want to alter any plans you have when heading north to Canada or to the San Juans. It is about 20 miles south of us. We crossed it 4 times the Saturday before Mothers' Day. Maybe we should start an inventory of our aging infrastructure. Thankfully, no one was killed. The Skagit is flowing fast due to snow melt.

Today, a major bridge crossing the Skagit River near Mount Vernon, WA collapsed. You may want to alter any plans you have when heading north to Canada or to the San Juans. It is about 20 miles south of us. We crossed it 4 times the Saturday before Mothers' Day. Maybe we should start an inventory of our aging infrastructure. Thankfully, no one was killed. The Skagit is flowing fast due to snow melt.

I just saw a sign on I-5 saying that it was closed up by Mount Vernon but it didn't say why. Now I know.

Maybe we should start an inventory of our aging infrastructure. Thankfully, no one was killed. The Skagit is flowing fast due to snow melt.

The inventory has been done and is ongoing. WA bridges received a C and that bridge was a C- and rated as functionally obsolete which means the design has been long abandoned. Most bridges of this vintage and older are in poor condition do to budgets and delayed maintenance.

In defense of the obsolete bridge an oversized truck hit a span and collapsed it. People are very lucky for sure, crazy photos!

You want to see bad roads and old bridges, visit Quebec! They fall down on their own.

Back
Top Bottom