Ideal Gear Head truck for FWC or ATC

John D

Without naming a brand, this thread is for Gear Heads who will be hauling a FWC or ATC. Hopefully, a manufacturer is reading this post. Feel free to add or take away. Make your case but don't name a brand or alude to one.

Half ton full size
8 foot bed
Extended cab
Four wheel steering
A smallish turbo diesel
Alternatively a 5+ liter gas small block V8
6 speed manual transmission with extra low 1st gear and double overdrive
(Truck must exceed 20 MPG on road with the camper)
Tachometer and full set of gauges on dash
Tunable speedometer and odometer (tire size changes)
In cab connector for lap top and controller that permits on the fly programming
2WD unless equipped with manual locking hubs and divorced transfer case that allows front drive components to travel stopped on road
Skid plates
Electric locking front and rear diffs
Through bumper frame mounted front towing hooks
Dual batteries and dual alternators
10,000 lb hitch with receiver
Trailer towing package including electric brake controller
16 inch alloy wheels (maybe larger)
Dual fuel tanks with dual in-tank fuel pumps
Roll up windows
Bench front seat
Rubber floor designed to be hosed out
Tilt wheel
Sliding rear window
Dash that easily folds out for access to wiring and under dash systems, heater core, etc.
Extra electrical accessory connectors on dash
High quality sound system with high power amplifier and bass speaker enclosure
Premium base/clear paint with extra clear but no metal flake
No exterior chrome, trim, manufacturer logos, or model ID of any kind
Factory security system integrated with the engine controller serviceable with PC

I can’t find this new truck. I can’t order this truck, but I should be able to.

More for the wish list...

1) Instead of a sliding rear window, a rear window which rolls down leaving the entire back open.
2) As long as there are 2 alternators, one could double as a 120 VAC generator and the other could double to provide current for a built in wire feed welder.
3) Storage compartments in the bed of the truck, under the bed floor and outside of the frame rails.
4) Onboard air compressor and/or adjust-on-the-fly tire pressure.
5) iPod dock fully integrated into the factory stereo.
6) Personally I prefer front bucket seats, or a 40/20/40 or 40/60 split bench.
7) Body panels made out of some kind of elastic material so they could easily be returned to shape after a minor impact.
8) A roof panel that hinges at the front/windshield joint and/or is completely removable (for when the FWC/ATC is not on the truck).
9) Full set guages to include transmission temperature, rear differential tempurature, battery voltage and for a turbocharged engine, exhaust gas temperature and boost pressure.
10) For a turbocharged engine, a post-shutdown oiler for the turbo's bearings.
11) Adjustable suspension ride height - keep it low for use on pavement for better fuel economy and high when you need it offroad.
12) If not an adjustable suspension, then smooth panels/skid plates under the truck to reduce the amount of air turbulence and perhaps removable aerodynamic wedges in front of all 4 wheels.
13) Full floating axles so that if you break an axle shaft, you can still drive home, even with just the front wheel drive. Might as well add rear wheel locking hubs.

Hmm, I think this thing is getting expensive, but I want one.

Discussion: All are good ideas. I will address a few. Please, other readers chime in.

“1) Instead of a sliding rear window, a rear window which rolls down leaving the entire back open.”

This is a very interesting suggestion. Some remove the rear glass all together and mate the cab with a boot to a similar opening in the FWC/ATC, making it easier to crawl between the camper and the cab. After spending several days driving in Nevada desert dust this month, I questioned the wisdom of this. With the camper closed up tight, I was surprised at how little dust made its way inside the camper, leaving it fairly clean inside. At the same time, the inside of the truck cab was covered with dust. A roll down window would allow the open crawl space while retaining the option to seal off the camper interior to prevent dust in the living and sleeping space. How much does this option weigh and cost? Can it be done with the factory ‘design over function’ preference? The factories like double curved glass in the cab rear window even though it has no functional benefit.

“2) As long as there are 2 alternators, one could double as a 120 VAC generator and the other could double to provide current for a built in wire feed welder.”

The strength of identical dual alternators and batteries is complete redundancy for an emergency. A dual system with identical components also eliminates switching between the two batteries. A connection between batteries is problematic.

”5) iPod dock fully integrated into the factory stereo.”

How about a tuner with no dials, knobs or slots, but several USB connectors on its face?

“6) Personally I prefer front bucket seats, or a 40/20/40 or 40/60 split bench.”

I like the 40/60. The idea is conveniently accommodating three on the seat and a place to sleep.

“9) Full set gauges to include transmission temperature, rear differential temperature, battery voltage and for a turbocharged engine, exhaust gas temperature and boost pressure.”

To Gear Heads the more gauges the better. I want the factory to design all these extra gauges on my stock instrument circuit board. I don’t want independent gauges added later, too much extra wire all over the place. This could be moot with stock software via the OBDII port for any Windows based PDA.

“13) Full floating axles so that if you break an axle shaft, you can still drive home, even with just the front wheel drive. Might as well add rear wheel locking hubs.”

To my knowledge no half ton full floating axle is manufactured. The ¾ ton truck is the entry level for this option, Heavy and uses more gas. I need better gas mileage.

“1) Instead of a sliding rear window, a rear window which rolls down leaving the entire back open.”

My 2004 Tundra has the full-drop electric window option. Not a roll down, but the same end result.

Back
Top Bottom