I'm leaking .....

jcfly

Not personally, of course. :p Had my 04 Hawk out this past weekend thru 2 evenings of torrential downpours. The outer window flaps were open, and all 4 windows were seeping water in right at the lower set of stitches for the clear window panels.
Nosed around the archives, and saw pictures of the very same leak from another camper. I saw reference to a vinyl cement called VLN that may do the trick in sealing those stitches.
Can anyone recommend a glue/cement/sealer that will be compatible on FWC fabric and work on that leak and get me back to dry?

All replies welcomed.

Not pretty but worked

I had one window that leaked along the bottom too and I didn't want to put any type of sealer because from my experience with tents, they seal for a year or two then the sealer dried, cracked and lifted leaving a seam of cracked sealer that leaked again. I cleaned off the liner with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and ran a strip of gray duct tape along it and it has been there ever since. This summer I will stop by a large river rafting company and see what they use to patch their rafts. I believe it is the same material and I have seen beautiful patches and would think this would be the only true solution. I did rig a few pieces of wood that would take the outer flap and turn it into a awning that directed the water away from the window too.

5 Speed,

Rigging the flaps as awnings is probably the best thing you did. That is excellent.

As an experienced river rafter, I have patched inflated boats. I am familiar with the procedure. Unfortunately, inflated boats also leak, just as your camper boot. The air pressure is positive inside the boat tubes and this keeps most of the water outside. This is not analogous to our campers. However, once a boat starts to leak, they are very difficult to permanently seal. Sometimes the material becomes porous with age. In the case of your camper, the leak may be along the stitching. Reflecting on how the material is sewn on my camper, I don’t believe they used a sealing tape over the stitches as would be done with an inflated boat. In other words, I do not believe it is practical to avoid all leaks in the boot on one of our campers.

You might check with FWC or ATC about putting some kind of wax or silicone solution on the stitches, such as Scotch guard. Personally, I would not do that to my camper because I want the stitches to dry out when they become soaked after a long hard rain and I believe the heavy thread used to sew our Vinyl boots is selected to last a long time with no additional coating of any kind. I would leave it be, except for the “303 Aerospace Protectant” recommended by ATC.

Unless they are under cover, all RVs leak. The only question is “how much”? When we camp in extremely bad weather, we sleep with our camper popped down. In that position, we can take any weather short of a tornado … and we have plenty of those in Alabama …RVs rarely stand against them.

At the present time, my camper is stored outside with the top down. We have a lot of rain in Alabama, an average of 42 inches a year. My camper gets tested regularly and it leaks a little, even with the top down. Therefore, when we have a dry spell, I like to pop it up and let it dry out, especially before we take a trip.

Once in Wrangle, Alaska camped south of town, we endured a heavy 12 hour rain. We were holed up in the camper and slept it through. We had the top up. Toward the end; I noticed the forward passenger corner of the bed was starting to become wet. The rain was over, so I did not worry about it. A couple of days later, I noticed it had dried completely.

I am sure you will receive plenty of suggestions about how to stop the leaks with perhaps with an expensive rebuild, reattachment of the boot (more expense), sealing silicone (nasty and unsightly), etc, etc. You could also examine the leaks very carefully with a magnifying glass, then just pretend you did not see them. Dry out the camper when the weather clears. One thing about an aluminum frame camper, there is not much worry about the frame rotting as with a stick and tin camper.

The real problem leaks are in the sheet metal or around the windows in the hard wall. Those leaks should be stopped. Now, if you really want to hear horror storied about leaks, my last two campers before our FWC had leaks that resulted in ROT …

John D

I've had this same problem in Rainy Seattle....

I tried looking for VLN. Never did find it. No one ever really admitted to buying it recently.....so then I was told to use seam sealer....the same stuff I use on my jackets and tents and such. Newer campers have better sewing and seam sealing. our older units do not.

Since I seamed sealed about 2 years ago, not a leak. I think I got it at REI and followed the instructions. I think it really just plugged the holes of the stitching and that was it.

I make awnings out of the outer flaps as this help me circulate air in the camper without the need to run the fan. Seems to keep the rain out unless it is rather windy.

Good luck.

Dave in Seattle

Thanks for the bump, Mark.

I did come across a VLP sealant, maybe the vln was a typo? In any case, I'll do something to those stitches when I see what I think is the right solution.

Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom