Image Stacking to reduce noise in long exposures (Night Photography)

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I've been reading about a new to me technique that reduces noise in night photography, like a shot of the milky way and some interesting foreground, It's called Median Image Stacking.

For Example, if you have a landscape and night sky shot, you can take multiple exposures at lower ISOs and faster shutter speeds than you would if you were just trying for a single shot, or a blended shot with just two exposures. To get crisp shots of the sky, take 4 or 5 shots of the stars at something like a 5 or 10 second shutter, with an ISO of something like 6400. For the foreground, take one really long shot at something like ISO 3200, with a 10 minute exposure. You can then process them in Photoshop CC, using the stacking method that is in the link above. The results will give you a clearly visible and clean foreground, with sharp stars, and comparatively little noise in the night sky. There is a PS plugin that is available, as well. Check Starry Landscape Stacker, it's for Mac only at this point.

Caveat emptor. I have not yet tried this, so it's going to be an experiment for all of us.

Here's a linked Adam Woodworth photo that shows the results. Adam had an article in Outdoor Photographer that was my introduction to the subject. Here's Adam's Blog, too.

monument_cove.jpg

Cool thanks for the link! I'm gonna try this out on our next few outings. I've only done 25 second exposures before.

Back
Top Bottom