Incident at Battle Creek!

Yes, a hi-lift with the winching kit is cheaper than a power winch. I think I'll stop procrastinating and pick one up before too long. One thing I always think about when in the boonies is that if I do get stuck, at least I have a comfortable place to relax while I slowly starve to death.

There are two lengths of Hi-Lifts offered. The 48" long version carried by everyone that is mostly sold to Jeep owners, and the much more usable 60" version that is harder to find.

In cold country I keep in mind what a native in Freedonia, AZ told me as we were heading to Toroweep one February. "If you get stuck in the mud just wait until it freezes. Then you'll be able to drive right out." I don't know that this works, but given his obvious experience from living in that area I'm inclined to try it. Beats walking out.

I've been told by a guy who'd tried all types of limited slips that the light braking technique works the best with the all-gear type LSD's. Not that it doesn't work with the others, just that it's the most effective with those.

Commercial marine vendors have lines like the Samson's Amsteel and Amsteel Blue. 1/4" Amsteel Blue has an average breaking strength of 8,600 lbs and a minimum breaking strength of 7,700 lbs. Strength for size makes this type of line very appealing. 1/2" Blue has a minimum breaking strength of 30,600 lbs.!
Knots are tricky in this stuff, they tend to be stress concentrators which results in localized heat when loaded. Doesn't take much load thru a knot to part the line and the resulted parting looks like someone used a propane torch there. This I learned by intentionally repeatedly failing some 1/4" Amsteel line using a Warn 8274 winch to pull on it. A simple braiding works much, much better than a knot. These are a 12 strand braid rather than a laid line. They tend to behave a bit like a "chinese finger trap" and exploiting this is the key. On one end a spliced eyelet is a good idea, but to be able to rig at varying lengths without knots requires a fid or a pencil. Simply piercing the 'live' portion of the line between the strands horizontally several times while weaving the 'dead' end of the line in an 'S' shape thru those piercings worked a trick!

I've been seeing occasional mentions of using a tow ball as an attachment point to pull someone out. That is a very, very bad practice. Dynamic loads like that use are known to fail the balls which turns them into a projectile flying inline to the strap's direction. Think about what is along that line of action and then consider that such balls have completely penetrated sheet metal, like opened hoods. When the pull direction will allow it you can simply insert the strap into a receiver hitch and run the slider's pin thru the strap's loop. The problem with this is that any sort of angle between the strap and the hitch opening puts the strap at risk of being cut by the receiver's opening. For off-angle pulls a slider that accepts a shackle is a simple & very worthwhile piece of gear.
http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml Most buy theirs, I made mine and made it much more complicated than it needed to be just to take some weight out of it.

All you have to do for a safe hook up with a tow strap is to remove the receiver and ball altogether...then push the end of the tow strap into the receiver....put the pin through the tow strap loop....and there you go. Safe and simple and nothing else to have to purchase.

All you have to do for a safe hook up with a tow strap is to remove the reciver and ball altogether...then push the end of the tow strap into the receiver....put the pin through the tow strap loop....and there you go. Safe and simple and nothing else to have to purchase.

The Rancher, when he drove me back to my truck to tow me out, saw that I had a receiver hitch and asked if I had a pin. I assumed he meant did I have a ball-and-pin (which I didn't), and when he handed me his spare (of course he has a spare with him!) I put the ball on.
But now, after reading this, I think he did mean just the pin as the attachment point for his tow strap.

But, the ball didn't break off, nobody died
rolleyes.gif
, etc...so no harm done by my ignorance, and now I know.
smile.gif

All you have to do for a safe hook up with a tow strap is to remove the reciver and ball altogether...then push the end of the tow strap into the receiver....put the pin through the tow strap loop....and there you go. Safe and simple and nothing else to have to purchase.

Thank you for bringing that up.

Also, a heavy coat/blanket hung over the middle of the line will slow a violent recoil of a strap and NEVER be in line of the pull.

Putting a tow strap on a ball is really dangerous.

But, as I said, nothing bad did happen, so apparently whatever bad happens some time doesn't happen every time.
How often have you seen a ball break off?

In the situation that I was in -- which is what this thread used to be about -- my problem was that the surface I was stuck on/in was super-slippery (slick mud on ice), not deep, thick mud. There was nothing dynamic about the pull out -- forces were moderate. I bet the forces were no greater than if I had been towing a big stock trailer by that ball.

But, as I said, nothing bad did happen, so apparently whatever bad happens some time doesn't happen every time.
How often have you seen a ball break off?

I deleted the above post because I figured you already knew it was dangerous. Just do the math. Here are some sample specs for a 2" ball taken from etrailer.com:

2 Inch Ball Diameter Hitch Balls•Shank diameter: 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4"
•Capacity: 3,500 lbs to 8,000 lbs
•Finish: nickle plated and stainless steel
•Shank length: short, medium and long
•Used on smaller to medium sized trailers
•Most common ball size

Most tow straps I've seen these days are rated at 30,000 lbs. That means that if you were REALLY stuck....and the rancher gave it all he had and that tow strap got to anywhere near it's rated capacity....you'd be 3.75 times the capacity of the ball.

I haven't personally seen any trailer balls break because the folks I four wheel with use tow straps safely....with just the pin.

You were lucky and I'm glad things worked out for you.

I guess I'd have to say the absolute safest way to use the recovery strap is with the shackle receiver that ntsqd mentioned. If you really got crazy with the strap in the receiver with a pin...I guess you could bend the pin inside the receiver....then you'd be in a pickle. I've never seen a pin bend but you never know.

You were lucky and I'm glad things worked out for you.

I don't believe in luck. ;)

I don't believe in luck. ;)

I was probably editing my post while you were typing this....read the last paragraph now. Be safe out there.

Mark - You thread has become "how to get unstuck".

None of us, question what you did, or your ability!! You got out.

Some of us are stuck at home, wish we were out like you, so we must chime in and....
we need a "un-stuck" fix for that!

When the pull direction will allow it you can simply insert the strap into a receiver hitch and run the slider's pin thru the strap's loop. The problem with this is that any sort of angle between the strap and the hitch opening puts the strap at risk of being cut by the receiver's opening. For off-angle pulls a slider that accepts a shackle is a simple & very worthwhile piece of gear.
http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml Most buy theirs, I made mine and made it much more complicated than it needed to be just to take some weight out of it.

My bad....ntsqd already discussed this. My applogies ntsqd.

Some of us are stuck at home, wish we were out like you, so we must chime in and....
we need a "un-stuck" fix for that!

You got that right! I'm preparing to take a trip at the end of the month. I can't wait to get out of town!!!

I was probably editing my post while you were typing this....read the last paragraph now. Be safe out there.

Thanks.

This thread has provided lots of food for thought, stuff I'll consider implementing.

I don't even own a tow strap, which I know is a mistake. I've been meaning to get one for at least a year, but when I look at them I'm not sure which to buy. Even if I never use it, it's something that's not too expensive or too big to store. I'll carry it for the same reason I carry jumper cables: It's a tool to have to make it easier for someone to help me.
And yes, I'll get a pin to put in the receiver. I never tow anything, so I don't have any of those accessories.

I'll find a place to attach/carry the Hi-Lift I already have, and see about whatever those accessories are that assist getting unstuck. (Years ago on a trip to remote West Little Owyhee we used my previous Hi-Lift to extract one of our rigs that was high-centered on a stream bank...but it wasn't my rig, so I didn't count that in my history of not getting stuck. ;) )

I'm intrigued by the MaxTrax and the heavy-duty come-along.
....but I still don't think I'll ever get a winch.

I don't even own a tow strap, which I know is a mistake. I've been meaning to get one for at least a year, but when I look at them I'm not sure which to buy.

Well, I and many other folks use "tow stap" and "recovery strap" interchangably.....but they are different. A tow stap has hooks on both ends. A recovery strap has loops sewn at both ends. Make sure you get the recovery strap with the loops and not the tow strap.

Lots of good ones out there. Mine is 30,000 lb. capacity and has been used numerous times.

The recovery strap is cheap insurance....the winch is expensive insurance....but sometimes the winch comes in real handy. Especially if you are alone like I always seem to be when I get stuck.

A tow stap has hooks on both ends. A recovery strap has loops sewn at both ends. Make sure you get the recovery strap with the loops and not the tow strap.
Lots of good ones out there. Mine is 30,000 lb. capacity and has been used numerous times.

Thanks, got it. :)

A recovery strap has loops sewn at both ends. Make sure you get the recovery strap with the loops and not the tow strap.

What's a good length? Is 20 feet long-enough for most situations?
Or is 30 feet standard?

As I understand it a tow strap is a static line, and a recovery strap is a dynamic line.

You want a dynamic line so there is not the hard jerk that can break car parts. I bought a recovery strap because I did not want a yahoo with a chain yanking me out and causing damage to my truck. (Seen it happen)

Also, the dynamic line increases the pulling force, like a rubber band would.

Good brands for recover straps are ARB and Viking. Personally I have the ARB.

As I understand it a tow strap is a static line, and a recovery strap is a dynamic line.
Good brands for recover straps are ARB and Viking. Personally I have the ARB.

How long is yours?
(please don't take that the wrong way...
ohmy.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom