Incident at Battle Creek!

Question: Doesn't the stretchy recovery strap decrease the amount of 'take-up' available to you when you are using either a cable hoist or a hi-lift?

Question: Doesn't the stretchy recovery strap decrease the amount of 'take-up' available to you when you are using either a cable hoist or a hi-lift?

Sorry, I am referring to a strap to use when a vehicle is pulling out another vehicle.

You are correct! If you are using a come-a-long you are better off using chain.

For yanking on a vehicle you are better off with a recovery strap.

I've used my recovery straps as winch cable extensions when in a bind....and they do stretch quite a bit under a slow steady pull....but sometimes you just need that extra 10 feet to reach a tree or boulder.

Yes, well... This adds complexity to the problem then, eh?

I am referring to a strap to use when a vehicle is pulling out another vehicle.

You are correct! If you are using a come-a-long you are better off using chain.

In the situation that I was in -- which is what this thread used to be about -- my problem was that the surface I was stuck on/in was super-slippery (slick mud on ice), not deep, thick mud. There was nothing dynamic about the pull out -- forces were moderate. I bet the forces were no greater than if I had been towing a big stock trailer by that ball.

Yes, about that situation you were in:

1) From your pictures, your description, the other poster's pictures, and the location of the "scene of the crime" I pinned down on my Benchmark Atlas, it's clear you were on a dead-flat section of two-track, probably that east-west two track running between NV 214 (Leonard Cr Rd) and Pinto Mtn/Pinto Hot Springs. So, no real slope to add to the forces. The relative absence of force needed to extricate you seems to confirm there were no issues as to chain/strap/attachment point failure, and also makes me think your limited-slip isn't working, a common situation on older Superduties.

2) What was your tire air pressure when you got stuck? Did you air down prior to the attempt to negotiate the crossing? After getting stuck, did you air down as you tried to self-rescue? I run Load Range E tires on my Superduty and I imagine all or virtually all FWC and similar camper jockeys do, as well. High load capacity tires derive much of their rated strength by being inflated to or near to the maximum PSI embossed on the sidewall. Trouble is, that's the reverse of the approach to negotiating soft ground, be it mud, silt, or sand. It's always risky to air down a heavily-laden truck, as one can much more readily pop a bead or cut a sidewall while the tire is pressurized less, but sometimes it's the only logical move to make. Carrying a high-quality, 100% cycle rated air compressor makes re-inflation following the problem crossing easy, which in turn makes the decision to air down easy. I carry the aforementioned compressor as well as a simple tool for airing down, so I can reduce my tire pressure and re-inflate, recovering the full load capacity as well as puncture resistance on the far side of the creek, in a matter of minutes. The compressor also makes self-rescue in the event of a puncture feasible, provided you've got a good plugging kit on board.

3) Messing around with the tire pressure DOES encourage me to want to run 2 fullsize spares when Wandering the West, at least the NV-OR-ID parts of it.

4) I forgot to ask: Did you get to Pinto Hot Springs following your extrication, and if so, is it a soak-able HS?

Foy

By the way:
Although I said that this "Incident" was the first time I've been seriously stuck, it wasn't the first time I had to be rescued.
The other incident requiring rescue -- which was really a much worse situation than any mud or sand hole -- was described this spring in my post here in that great "Horror Stories" thread. (CraggyMan was in on that earlier incident, though he went by a different name at the time...).

Speaking of that Horror Stories thread, anybody have more horrific stories to add to it? They're fun to read.

In my first post I mentioned that I already knew/should-have-known how nasty this little creek could be as I'd crossed it before: "One time we built a bridge with a couple of huge planks".
CraggyMan has sent me a photo that he took of that crossing, back in 1996:

gallery_2431_15_54337.jpg

Photo: CraggyMan

I think he had already crossed in his rig before me.
Look a little sketchy? Maybe...but since both of our rigs crossed it in both directions I guess practice proved that it wasn't!
wink.gif

That was a great trip! This little jaunt to Pinto Hot Springs was the day after CraggyMan and I had grilled a whole turkey on a Weber on Thanksgiving Day at the mouth of McGill Canyon of the Jackson Mts on the northeast side of the east arm of the Black Rock Desert.
What a place!
smile.gif

If my memory serves me well, we had to use the planks for 3-4 similar crossings to reach the hot springs. Used my contractor's lumber rack for transport. So add burly planks/rack to the ongoing list 10 (or more) essentials for Great Basin Desert travel kit.

If my memory serves me well, we had to use the planks for 3-4 similar crossings to reach the hot springs. Used my contractor's lumber rack for transport. So add burly planks/rack to the ongoing list 10 (or more) essentials for Great Basin Desert travel kit.

We found those planks out there, didn't we? We wouldn't have known in advance of their need...or did you always carry big ole timbers around with you? ;)

You know, We need to make a summery of these tips and put them into another post so it doesn't get lost/buried.

I know....

You know guys, you are right-this has been one of the most enjoyable threads i've read in a long time-learned things, gave some knowledge (i hope ) back and maybe we helped some poor soul who will be stuck this week-going out for one more time before winter shuts him in-really enjoyed the chain/strap/handyman/black cat hand winch stuff. I always feel guilty, telling my tales of woe out there ( sort of acting like a know it all) but didn't feel bad with this bunch telling tales-question-has anyone else had a hard time finding a good place to put the handyman on a 99 and later F150-i'm really lucky not getting stuck with my F150-carry it with me (with all my usual stuff) and used it allot with my old SR-5 long bed, and my old 80 BLM Power wagon, OP vehicles, and various chev/dodge gov 4x4's-but because of the FWC/F-150 combination i have now-I drive real real safe out there---and avoid anywhere i could get stuck unless i'm with someone else and with another truck-one of the #1 rules of back country driving--that and BE PREPARED! Back to the 49er game!!!

Smoke:D

Back
Top Bottom