Innovations in Solar Thread

dasadab

Advanced Member
I was thinking about buying the 80 watt Zamp folding panel. This is the one sold by Four Wheel Camper and other suppliers. It's expensive and seems bulky for me to store. I came across this product on expedition portal:
https://www.flexopowerusa.com/products/namib-79-kit

It prices out very close to the Zamp product.

I was also browsing on eBay and Alibaba. I know nothing about Alibaba, don't even know if things get shipped to the US. However, there did seem to be several roll up or folding options.

I thought I would just post what may be a promising solar alternative and ask what you folks thought. I have no connection to any company. I'm just playing around with ideas for enhancing the 160 Watt rooftop solution that I have on my Hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I have a PowerFilm 60w foldable panel and have used it for years; first to power my Engle 45 in my FJ when parked for a week at a time and now as an addition to my 200w (soon to be 300w) roof solar. It folds down to about the size of a 2" 3 ring binder. They have bigger foldable panels as well.

I just spoke with Werner at Flexpower. He noted that they presented products at the last Overland Expo in Arizonza. He spent about 30 minutes discussing the technology of his panels and asking about my intended use. They have a similar concept to PowerFilm, but are just starting in the US market. They look to be a little less expensive than Powerfilm panels. Werner told me that the foldable and rollable panels on their website can also be sold without a regulator for direct plug in to systems that already have a charge controller. They are going to update the website with prices for the panels without regulators. I was very impressed with the personalized attention and I love to support innovative businesses with real people to talk to. These are expensive solutions, but they are, according to Werner, designed to last a long time and take a lot of abuse. Also, there is a video showing a skipjack running over the panel! My wife said that running over the panel was the kind of mistake that was right up our alley.

As noted, I have no connection to the company. I am just looking to get my Hawk optimized for the long run and the upcoming drive to Alaska. I really like the idea of a panel that I can toss in the back seat of the truck and deploy quickly.

I saw them at Expo and it looks as if they have good products - I would have spent more time checking them out if I was in the market. I do like the portability and easy storage of the foldable versions.

Back
Top Bottom