Inside disassembly - How to?

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric
Site Team
OK folks, I got my batteries and want to start figuring out how to arrange stuff on the inside. So I need to disassemble the basic shell. How?

I figure the upper side walls are just scewed on.

The lower walls by the turnbuckle hatches appear to be double thick, and I need to change how the forward most hatch works, as it interferes with the water tank fill and vent lines. So, that extra layer of plywood with the wallpaper style wood "veneer" needs to come off.

How? I don't see any screws holding it on. This is a 2005 Hawk. I do hope it isn't glued together!

This opening needs to move
full

Plywood is single thickness above the wheelwells
full

Double thick down below.
full

Wow. On mine, there were brackets on the inside of the plywood. Most everything is modular if you can find the screws and brackets except for items that are painted grey.

Vic,

As you've described it, and the pictures show, a second piece of veneer covered plywood was attached to the floor pan, and comes up from the floor to square off with the horizontal ledge that goes over the truck bed rail, and leaves a compartment area between.
I'd look at the outside of the camper for any staples (or screws) that might be holding those two layers of ply together on the bottom part of the exterior floor pan, since they wouldn't have stapled them from the inside, through the veneer.
If you find staples, you could hope there isn't glue as well. If no staples, then they're probably glued on. Try a pry bar carefully between, and see if they separate easy or not. Hopefully they'll split apart without much trouble. I'm just making a guess on this, but we'll cross our fingers for you! Good luck!

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

well, if it all has to come off and break in the process, no big deal as long as the grey stuff stays intact. I want to use 3/8" baltic plywood going forward for all the interior stuff... lighter, thinner, stronger.

Vic Harder said:
well, if it all has to come off and break in the process, no big deal as long as the grey stuff stays intact. I want to use 3/8" baltic plywood going forward for all the interior stuff... lighter, thinner, stronger.
Aw, now I understand. Good luck!

im following this topic. as I need to enter the walls of my hawk shell as well. installing my own rear flood lights, and a led strip for awning. already installed power panel, walkway led, and inverter lastnight. and noco on board charger.

Vic, I just had that panel off mine a couple of months back, I don't recall how it came off but it wasn't a big deal. There was a bead of RTV at the bottom, maybe the staples holding the turnbuckle access door tracks in place, and perhaps the screws on the one hinge on the battery separator access door. There is a large bolt thru mine, but that was a remnant of the original owner's mod to bolt the camper on his truck utility body.
P1050421r.JPG

I took the side off on my Hawk (Self contained model, w/Silver Spur interior) a few months ago to do some rewiring. Was not easy and I ended up tearing the floor a little bit. The lower side pieces are REALLY wedged in there - got them out ok, but trying to put them back tore the floor. I fixed it was clear gorilla glue tape and it seems to be fine.

Mine unscrewed on my 2013 Hawk shell. I changed some of my turn buckle door to swing sideways and and not swing down.

right+side.jpg

Vic Harder said:
Bill, were the screws obvious? I can't see any on my 2005
Yes they were. I did cut down the printed plywood when I did my side dinette.

What I started with.
camper+inside+before+.jpg

Drivers side plywood cut down and door hinge changed.
P1110778.jpg

Dinette side, did not use very much of the plywood.
seats+from+side.jpg
\
dinette+3+3+2014.jpg

I can see the screws in that first picture Bill. That isn't the case in my Hawk. Hmmm. I will apply leverage today and see. Pics to come

Back
Top Bottom