Installation Scheduled! Any questions I should Ask FWC

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member
Got the call to schedule my installation on a new hawk in a couple weeks and I couldn't be more excited. Truck is all set with Airbags, new brakes and "E" Rated tires and am excited for the first trip. I know FWC will walk you through the camper and its nuances but any questions I should be thinking about getting more information on? All the solar wiring is a big one for me since I will be doing my own install but wasn't sure if other experienced the....I wish I had asked????

Thanks to all of the information on this site I have gained a ton of knowledge and now as the big day nears I am spending more time on here looking as mods and tips in preparation for some adventures.

Thanks everyone.

Congratulations! Long wait is over.

I would suggest turning on an audio recorder during the walk through. The audio could come in handy when trying to remember what was said. I wish I had done that as so much information is passed in a very short time. Maybe you have one on your phone.

Paul

Congrats and welcome to the club! X2 on the voice recorder. I was distracted by all the newness of my camper and missed so much of what was said. On the Plus side.... if you miss something, everyone here is very helpful. My wait was 15 Weeks and picked up last May. How long did you wait?

Bob

The "newness distraction" is strong. Enjoy, everyone here will answer all your questions if you miss something.

Make sure their is enough caulking in the wholes in the rivets on the outside ends of the vinyl pop up , better yet have them put vinyl patches over the rivets. Not doing so will increase the chance of the rivets damaging the vinyl while driving.

Also check the hardware top & bottom that secures your struts to the camper to make sure they are flush and secure.

Take a camping buddy with you to pick it up. Take this person with you on your first trip. Make that first trip as soon as possible after receiving the camper. So much info that's it's nice to have a second set of eyes and ears.

Congratulations on the new camper!

Alan

May I suggest writing down your questions ahead of time and having the list ready.
You mentioned the solar pre-wire, and that you'll be doing your own system:
Be shown specifically where the controller is to go, get a clear explanation the connectors being used and where the pre-wiring is located, particularly where it ties in at the battery box.
This was something I neglected at my installation and attempts at clarification afterwards by e-mail do not match with what I found (or haven't found) in the camper.
Congratulations and Happy Trails!

One idea I have heard here that I think is good advice, is to plan a short, couple of days overnight camp not far from the factory right after you pick up your camper. Test out the systems and then you can head back to the factory if you discover problems or have questions. Also, there are some threads on here about people's common goofs after picking up their campers. For instance, we headed off for camping and forgot to fill the propane tanks. Made for a chilly night in the mountains. :)

Good luck and happy camping!

Thanks Everyone. Super helpful as always. My wait will be 12 weeks exactly from order date. Was told to expect about 15-17. We only live about 2 hours from the Woodland factory so if we have to head back down for something its not a huge deal. Can't wait... we will be heading to mammoth the next day for a few days of skiing and hot springs. A perfect test.

Does the go anywhere package make sense to get or is it easier and cheaper to pick those things up elsewhere?

If you are leaving straight from the installation to camp, the package means you didn't forget anything. You can buy everything you need before installation except propane.
1. Steps to climb into camper
2. 10 or 25 ft RV potable water hose for filling water tank or attaching to hook ups at campground.
3. Pressure reducer for using hookup/city water
4. Grey water hose. We used a washing machine hose. Already had right angle bend & right length.
5. We used a Homer bucket and lid with hole in lid for other end of grey water hose
6. 15 amp to 30 amp adapter to fit AC inlet
7. 50 ft 12 gauge extension cord in a bright color to avoid tripping on it with lighted ends.
8. 30 amp to 15 amp adapter to go between 30 amp hookup socket and extension cord
9. Liquid bleach to sanitize water system before first use
10. Camco dish drain basket that fits in sink
You'll think of other necessities. :)
Paul

Back
Top Bottom