Insurance for my wonderful new FWC?

peabee

Hello,
I just spent a fairly sizeable chunk of change for my new Finch. She's wonderful and I've already had a couple of terrific adventures. I'm wondering if anyone has had good/bad experience with insurance providers that they could share? I can insure her through my truck's carrier but also thought I should ask the group about specialty providers. Thanks in advance! Paula

IMG_2017.JPG

Hello peabee
I can provide a real time event. We are with Met Life Ins Co. called them last week explained what I was doing call taker put me on hold to Check. Return with follow up questions, then came back with policy info. Part of it lies with the truck, collision and comprehensive was an additional fee less than $200.00 per year. Asked me when I wanted to start coverage, I said I would need to call back, she said no problem just call back ask to start policy change all the info is in the computer even which coverage you want. That said when I called back there are ding-ding call takers who refuse to do their jobs and transfer you to another person who wanted to sell me RV insurance with another company. I called back spoke with another individual who listened and followed thru. You need manufacturers name, sieral number/ vin number purchased price.
I think important statements like not permanently attached, storing on our property, number of times to be used per year ( stated our goal is one weekend per month), the other questions were no brain'ers are important.

That's what we went thru any way. Good luck

State Farm has it as part of my truck policy. I called my local agent and had the discussion with him about it and there were no issues. They paid a claim when my old 3-way fridge caught fire with a minimum of hassle.

Interesting that USAA has it with your truck. I have USAA and ended up with a separate policy through their partner, Progressive, because they didn't offer RV specific policies. I wonder if it has something to do with being in a different state? Washington, to be specific.

Paula,

Wish we would've talked about this when we talked about campers before. I am an insurance agent for Farmers and we can add it to a auto policy for minimum cost or we can write it as a separate policy all together which then gives the trip interruption benefits and some other coverages for personal property.

Glad you're enjoying the new rig! Shoot me an email again and Ill let you know what I need for a quote at least.

If other are looking for coverage I can personally help in CA, AZ, and TX.

Thanks
Dave

USAA member as well. My Hawk is covered under my truck policy as well in NC. Slide in campers are not consider RVs by USAA. You might want to check with USAA again. However, as mentioned, definitions are set by each state, regardless, I find it hard to believe any state would classify a slide-in camper as a "vehicle".

If you wish to declare a camper/contents value higher than provided in the basic vehicle policy, USAA underwriters can provide you with a rider to your truck's basic policy.

If the camper is removed from the truck and stored in the garage (on my property), it is covered by my homeowner's policy. Be sure you understand the limits of you policies so your camper isn't under-insured in the event of a loss regardless of which policy is controlling.

In Texas with State Farm, truck has full coverage. Camper is fully insured per truck coverage as long as it is mounted on the truck. There is no additional cost.

Thanks for all the info. Dave, let me get an estimate from my insurance provider and then I'll pm you. Card carrying geezer, dang!, I hate it when I ask redundant questions in the forum! I searched for insurance but I didn't search for 'camper insurance.' Duh! I appreciate for everyone's help.
paula

peabee said:
Thanks for all the info. Dave, let me get an estimate from my insurance provider and then I'll pm you. Card carrying geezer, dang!, I hate it when I ask redundant questions in the forum! I searched for insurance but I didn't search for 'camper insurance.' Duh! I appreciate for everyone's help.
paula
Paula, My response was only to help and I did not mean to cause you any embarrassment. Yes, many of the same questions are asked repeatedly and perhaps your answer can be found in previous posts. The easiest way I have found to find past topics on Wander the West is to go to google and add site:wanderthewest.com to my search. This will limit the hits to WTW.

Of course, we need to have room for new information, so keep posting your questions and topics. I bet the owners of this site love "traffic".

Lefty315 said:
Interesting that USAA has it with your truck. I have USAA and ended up with a separate policy through their partner, Progressive, because they didn't offer RV specific policies. I wonder if it has something to do with being in a different state? Washington, to be specific.
My exact experience in Oregon. I would not be comfortable with a non-RV policy. There is no way IMO to get anywhere near replacement value if involved in a collision or something like a fire inside the camper.

Sent from my XT1254 using Wander The West mobile app

Bill D said:
I went with stand alone insurance as well. I want to know I'm covered vs. hope I'm covered, especially if I take the camper off the truck.
I opted for a camper/contents "replacement value" (with a declared value for both) rider to my truck policy. The rider was far less expensive than a stand-alone policy.

If off the truck, and stored in the garage, it is covered to the extent of my limits in the homeowners/umbrella policy.

peabee said:
paula
Paula,
Let me know how I can help. I believe you are in UT, so I can't directly help but I can answer questions or continue to help get you set up properly.
-Dave

USAA wouldn't let me insure it through them, they sent me to progressive. Weird that other USAA members were allowed to. I have it insured for what I paid for it so I don't get hosed by depreciation if it gets totaled.

www.mulehawk.com

USAA member here as well. I as well was directed to Progressive and have a declared value on the camper to alleviate depreciation. However I originally set it up as a resident of CA, and now I'm a Florida resident, I will call USAA again and see if they have a different opinion now that I'm in a new state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Wander The West mobile app

USAA underwriting does vary from state to state depending on state insurance commission/regulations.

But, I have noticed USAA is moving a lot their direct non-automotive (motorcycles/ATV/etc) underwriting to Progressive. Perhaps I purchased my rider prior to a change in USAA underwriting policy for recreational toys. If such is the case, those policies are grandfathered and one may want to think long and hard before moving to a different insurer.

After reading the fine print, I prefer Farmers toy policy to Progressive. Unfortunately, Farmers is not licensed by the NC Insurance Commission so I'm stuck with Progressive through USAA for my motorcycles. Until we relocate to NM...some day.

Back
Top Bottom