Insurance questions

BWSracing

Advanced Member
Hey guys, I've seen a few situations recently on here and got me thinking I don't have specific coverage on my camper. What are you all doing for coverage? Is it a separate policy or an additional value to your current truck policy? I know each state may vary a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

My camper is completely covered by my "auto" policy, though I did need to tell them about it and showed my agent the receipt to have the value recorded. My agent did have to look it up, as pickup campers are not commonly encountered by this office. There was no additional fee. I'm in New Mexico.

What is your location? As insurance is state-specific, it might help someone give you a more specific answer.

Thank you guys

sorry for the overly discussed topic being brought up again. I shall do a better job of searching before I post.

VA is where I'm currently insured.

BWSracing said:
Thank you guys

sorry for the overly discussed topic being brought up again. I shall do a better job of searching before I post.
My post was meant only to help you find information, and what has been posted previously can be a great help. It was not meant as a chastisement for posting your question. I apologize if it came across as such.

I had trouble getting my camper insured. I'm in Florida. GEICO has always insured my vehicles and they insured my Dodge Ram but wouldn't insure the XP for some reason. I tried a couple others with no luck either, possibly because they didn't have any experience with the brand. I finally got it insured through Good Sam, but they refused to renew the policy after I put in 4 claims in 6 months. They didn't tell me until the policy was on its last day which left me driving uninsured on the interstate. I'm looking for someone else to insure my Alaskan.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I'm in TX and have USAA. It was a bit of a pain but finally got it straight. Someone already posted that their Camper is covered under their Truck policy as added value as mine is. The issue for me was USAA subs out their RV insurance coverage to Progressive at least here in TX.

Was very difficult working with Progressive as they did not know what a slidin actually is. Wanted VIN number and such.

Finally got back to USAA and explained... they took my purchase paperwork from 4WheelCamper for value and the serial number. So I am led to "believe" my camper is covered by my truck policy. I need to check if, off truck, in my Shop will home insurance cover it????

I have Auto Owners insurance, They asked me simply what the value of it was, I mentioned 20 large and they said $124.....done deal. Personally I would only have a stated value policy, no surprises later on.

XJINTX
I was able to get usaa to cover it as well. I'm really glad I pushed the issue with them because after telling me it was covered since it was secured to my truck I then asked what about theft or vandalism. Their answer was not covered. I then asked how do we take care of that. Thirty minutes later and 19$ a month I'm covered for replacement cost.

I also have USAA and used their connection with Progressive for RVs. As I sometimes have the camper off the pickup, I wanted to be sure it was covered just sitting beside the house. Just over $200 a year - pretty much in line with what others have.

Alan

Alano, I called USAA to verify... I was told my home insurance will cover it if off the truck and stored in my shop. I hope I never need to find out :( It's a PIA doing everything over the phone... wish I had an agent :(

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Yes, sometimes it would be nice to go and just sit in an office and sort things out.

Alan

XJINTX said:
I'm in TX and have USAA. It was a bit of a pain but finally got it straight. Someone already posted that their Camper is covered under their Truck policy as added value as mine is. The issue for me was USAA subs out their RV insurance coverage to Progressive at least here in TX.

Was very difficult working with Progressive as they did not know what a slidin actually is. Wanted VIN number and such.

Finally got back to USAA and explained... they took my purchase paperwork from 4WheelCamper for value and the serial number. So I am led to "believe" my camper is covered by my truck policy. I need to check if, off truck, in my Shop will home insurance cover it????
As ACE mentioned, insurance is regulated by individual states and coverage/underwriting varies.

I'm a long time member of USAA as well. Simply took a 5 minute call to insure and add riders for my FWC camper as value added to my truck policy. There was never any mention of a slide-in camper being defined as an RV or outsourcing coverage to Progressive like my motorcycles.

My camper is financed through USAA and insured by USAA. Prior to purchase I spoke with USAA and gave them all of the information and was told I was insured on the truck and off the truck. 6 months later I called because I didn't see anything listed and was told they had no record of the camper. Wow!!. I gave them the dates that I first called and finally got everything straightened out, but they still don't list on your paperwork.

Is there anyone on this site that has their FWC insured through their home owners insurance?

Both myself and Ramblinman in Alberta Canada are insured through our home insurance exclusively. This seems strange to me. I'm concerned about what happens on the road. It makes sense if the thing is parked in your yard and someone steals it.

For those of you that are insured through your auto insurance, what happens if it is parked beside you home off your truck and someone steals it. I know some of you have been told it is insured, but is it in writing?

To me it would seem it would need to be covered by both home and auto insurance if the camper comes off the truck at times.

Realize insurance in the US (private) is completely different than Canada (public), and that insurance in the US is state specific (there can be 50 different ways of doing it in the US).

USAA insured on truck under auto and homeowners off the truck. Break into truck or camper stolen items insured under homeowners.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom