Interior Cabinet Design Question

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member
2019 FWC Hawk.jpg

There is something about some FWC interior cabinet designs that I'm not understanding.

As demonstrated in the photo from inside a 2019 Hawk I've attached to help me explain, the bottom cabinet by the door extends to the door. I understand the reason for this. However, the rest of the cabinets are set back, what looks to be about 4 to 6 inches. What's the reason for this?

The available storage of these campers is limited, so I would think this available space could be better utilised. What am I missing?

Is it solely to make the interior less claustrophobic?

Thank you in advance.

@YMMV, I can’t vouch for the design decisions, but I will say that the extra width in our Tundra mounted Hawk (front dinette like yours) makes it possible for my wife and myself to get around each other pretty easily. One can be cooking while the other does different things. We are smallish people. In a narrower Tacoma mounted camper, this wouldn’t be possible.

I find the little ledge on that storage compartment to be really useful to sit on, for tying shoes, etc. It’s also a great place to set stuff (like cocktails :)) that you want to take outside.

I'm not sure about that particular design (could be a step to help with the roof?) but when I gutted my older Eagle, most design decisions were for a reason which I discovered when I was dismantling it. It could have been a water tank, etc. There are some things I did find that are "interesting". The water tank is only accessible if you take the countertop off; now it's probably not going to have issues for a long time (mines 20 years old and no issues) but....

My take on that lower cabinet extending out further is that in the front dinette models, one can choose between storage, a porta-pottie storage, or a cassette toilet. Otherwise the cabinets would all be at the depth of the fridge.

DesertDave, you may be onto something.

I think they extended the bottom cabinet to accommodate the PortaPotti. I like the ledge as I sit there to pop up or down the roof. Makes it easier on my back.

Also, it’s a great spot to place coffee cups when getting in and out of the camper, freeing both hands. Hard to kick over your coffee there.

Paul

As Charlie and Paul T stated above, this may not be part of the design scheme but building it that way does make it easier for two people to pass one another, makes a good shelf to set things on while entering and exiting the camper and is a great place to sit when lifting the rear of the roof. As for lifting the roof, I sit on the shelf, put the top of my head on the roof lifting board and slide my back up the cabinets. Makes it super easy to get the roof up with almost no strain on your back (your legs do the work). Word of warning: take off your ball cap before doing this maneuver or the button on top of the hat will be driven into your skull :D .

Has anyone added doors for the storage above the ice box/fridge (for quick access when the roof is down)?

Attachments

• FWC cabinet.jpg
    FWC cabinet.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 73
tailwalk said:
Has anyone added doors for the storage above the ice box/fridge (for quick access when the roof is down)?
I've seen people replacing the top access with doors on the front. They found it a pain having to remove everything sitting on the top counter to access that storage area. And yea, I guess a side benefit would be access to that cupboard when the roof is down.

Thanks for everyone's contribution. I'm still puzzled as to why it is designed this way, but I see the benefits of having the 'shelf' and the wider floor space to move about easier.

Stay Safe!

Santé
Robert

Missing Link said:
As Charlie and Paul T stated above, this may not be part of the design scheme but building it that way does make it easier for two people to pass one another, makes a good shelf to set things on while entering and exiting the camper and is a great place to sit when lifting the rear of the roof. As for lifting the roof, I sit on the shelf, put the top of my head on the roof lifting board and slide my back up the cabinets. Makes it super easy to get the roof up with almost no strain on your back (your legs do the work). Word of warning: take off your ball cap before doing this maneuver or the button on top of the hat will be driven into your skull :D .
Exactly the way I lift the top. And I have 25 lbs of solar panels on the roof as well.

Back
Top Bottom