Inverter Cable Length

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa
I'm going to be taking delivery of a new Eagle the end of October and am looking at putting a GoPower 1500w pure sine wave inverter in. The GoPower installation kit has 10' cables which seem long (and expensive). What's a good cable length for an Eagle, I don't think I would get 10' away from anything in there. :)

Thanks.

Just looked at your gallery over at stalking light WoW great stuff. I asked because something I hear from a lot of people out here on the road as an afterthought is "why did I put this huge inverter in, it sucks all my power". Microwave aside everything you listed actually steps down the power to 12 volt to be charged. Camera batteries between 7-8volts. Laptops range up to 19 volts.
If you are going to run a microwave or a huge blender go for it. Otherwise 300w should be plenty.
I run blue sea usb ports for charging things like phones, tablets etc. I do not have to use the inverter.
I use my inverter for sensitive equipment like camera batteries, laptop etc.
As far as length my inverter sits right next to my battery, about 15" of cable running to the battery. I also have a ground wire running to the chassis.
Congrats on the Eagle.

Thanks. I know about everything running on DC and have been trying to locate DC adapters. I did find a DC charger for my D800E battery but not for my D4s, and I also got a car charger for my MBP. I've also got a 400w inverter I used in my Chaser but wanted to be loaded for bear in the Eagle. I expect the inverter would be turned off most of the time. I've got a Blue Sea dual USB on my motorcycle, may end up adding some to the Eagle as well.

If I wanted to mount the inverter on the side of the cabinet would 3' of cable be enough? If I did get a microwave I expect it would sit to the right of the sink.

Ignoring losses and start up surges in the inverter, to run a 1500watt inverter, you will consume in the range of 1500/13 ==> 115 amps plus from your battery. You will need large, short cables to drain your batteries quickly. :)

I would be inclined to mount the inverter in the battery compartment and run AC cables to where you need the AC power located. Much lower resistance losses on the AC side. Be sure to fuse the DC side with an appropriate fuse for the input start up surge.
And provide a adequate cooling air flow to the inverter. You wanted to vent your battery compartment anyway, right?

Perhaps your best choice is a Honda EU2000i to provide AC power when needed. It will also charge your batteries if insufficient solar power is available. Mine runs for 10 hours plus on 1 gallon of fuel.

Paul

I consider generators abominations, I prefer an approach that doesn't annoy any neighbors I might have. Of course using a microwave isn't much better. I guess I need to give this more thought.

I have a 1.5 KW inverter in my Grandby. It's mounted in the battery compartment which has 2 group 31's in parallel. I used 2/0 welding cable for the inverter runs of about 2 feet (I had the cable). No measurable loss with that length. I routed the 110VAC to the power panel and added a transfer relay
so all the outlets work. I mounted a Microwave in the "hanging closet" by the door, added an outlet in the closet, and added a couple more shelves to actually make the closet useful. I've never had any problem with running the inverter. I run my "laptop" (a Toshiba with a 17" screen) and the microwave and charge camera batteries with the inverter. The inverter will only draw the amount of power it needs to supply the AC current of it's load so a large inverter doesn't matter.

I spent some time in two of your galleries. Having grown up in the Smoky Mountains, I concentrated there and on the Macros and Closeups. Thank you for making them available for viewing. Looking forward to seeing the others. It would seem you favor the light of early morning or after showers.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom