IOTA and Lithium Battery Charging

nixfwc

I recently upgraded my Alaskan to two lithium batteries and had question as to whether the IOTA charger converter would have the proper voltages for lithium. On talking to IOTA, they advised me that the voltage on a IOTA D30 IQ4 would be too high for lithium batteries, 14.8 volts. I asked if there was a way to rectify this problem and they sent me a link to a modification one can do on the IOTA. What you are doing is adjusting the voltage output pot. I have not done it yet on my Alaskan as the IOTA is buried in the back of a cabinet. But here is the link ,if it is useful for anyone else I'Ill let you know how it works when I get the IOTA out .Thanks
http://www.rivergatedist.com/SlotAdjustment.htm

On a second thought, the Iota being difficult to get to, is there any reason I could not run the Iota output through my Victron charge controller as a way of keeping the voltage appropriate for lithium batteries? The Iota puts out 14.8 in bulk mode, too high for lithium batteries, the Victron is set to charge at 14.2. Does this seem like a solution to using the Iota?

Assuming you are talking about feeding a Victron MPPT solar controller - then I am afraid it will not work. The MPPT controllers need to see about 5V over battery voltage (so ~18V) on their input to start charging.

Well, I guess that won't work thru the Victron then. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the response Rando.

Back
Top Bottom