Is there a Best 12V Battery

menoco

Advanced Member
I’ve had a long run of electrical problems with my 2002 Hawk. Several, such as failing to install a solenoid and isolator, were self-inflicted. Last year, I ran down the battery several times. I take camper off for the frigid Wyoming winters, and last winter, I removed and stored battery in garage. It was probably depleted when stored. Later told that was a no-no.
Just did an over-night charge at local shop, but battery is still weak. At bottom level on monitor, and not enough juice even for interior lights.
Off to buy a new battery. Thought I’d ask for recommendations. Does particular battery make a difference?
If haven’t guess by now. I am electronically-challenged.
Thanks, Armando

I'm not a electronics/battery expert in any way but I have been using this sears 100 amp hour battery in two campers -

Diehard Platinum 31M

I've had good service. It's easy to find, and it goes on sale (got both of mine for $210 ea) often so watch for that.

Like the other poster, I use the Sears Diehard Marine 31M battery. They go on sale frequently so just wait it out if you can. They are heavy (75 lbs?) but worth it and have a 3 year warrantee and made by one of the major manufactures (which I can't remember who, but it's a big name, very expensive battery manufacturer).

I'm also electronically challenged. I had battery problems for years, also mostly self inflicted. Finally had to get everything working right when I went to sell our camper. Followed ski3pin's lead and went with Diehard Platinum 31. Worked great. Wish I had done it years sooner.

Semi electrical challenged also.
There are things that you need to think about.
First you need an AGM battery,second you need to have a battery isolator/solenoid so you don't run down the truck battery,than you would be up the royal creek.
I still have the original battery in my Bobcat but when the time comes I will switch to the Sears 31M AGM battery.
I think IMO that the info from the above posts are some of the best to know about your needs.
Wait for the Sears battery to go on sale if you can.
Frank

Been running a Sears Diehard Group 31 going on 4 years, still going strong. Others claim a pair of 6V in tandem is the way to go. For simplicity though, the Diehard is hard to beat.

I've been using a FullRiver battery (http://www.fullriver.com/products/admin/upfile/DC115-12A.pdf) with good success. Granted, it has been less than a year. It has a bit more juice (115 amp hours vs. 93) for a few less pounds. It was available locally for $240, so I imagine it would be available in bigger towns as well. I waited and waited for the Sears battery to go on sale but it never did at my local store. After checking with solar shops and battery stores, I found that they stocked a better selection of AGM batteries than the auto places.

I think the six volt golf cart batteries are the way to go if you have room for them outside your camper. I know some people install wet cells inside and add venting to me its just too risky. Inside the camper I'm going AGM. I also have the sears agm batteries. No solenoid or isolator on mine though. I use a marine switch. Even then I'm normally running them in parallel. For a weekend theres almost no way I'm running down all three batteries no matter what the weather. Most of the time my solar panels keep up batteries just fine. I always have the option of isolating the camper battery is if I need to and while manual its failure proof.

But it's not idiot proof, as I've found out on previous vehicles. Thom <- semi-idiot, wait, I think that I'll go with "Absent-minded" instead. I need something to isolate them automagically because I will forget eventually. That's a whole other topic and has been well covered here.

Our Phoenix came with two Trojan T-125 wet cell 6V's wired in series. They are inside, and are inside of a plastic box with a vent to outside ducted to it's lid. I've seen a battery explode and it's not pretty, but I don't have too much concern for this install. AGM's are probably what I'll buy when it's time, but I don't think that they are a superior deep cycle battery. They're just easier to live with.

I put two of the Die Hard Platinum starting batteries in our CTD about a year ago. No complaints and no worries about starting, even when I did manage to leave the inverter on over night.

Do any of you keep 2 AGM batteries in your FWC? I have 2 of them, but I don't think they are Group 31 size. Maybe group 27 size.
Would 2 of those (group 31) fit in the roll over couch Hawk?
I love the amp hour size - I'm just not so sure it fits. Anyone have any experience in this?

My fairly new Hawk has two group 24 AGM batteries in it. Whenever these batteries die I will be looking at putting in larger AGM batteries in the same spot. I'm hoping I can get a couple of group 27 batteries in the same spot. I don't think group 31 batteries will fit.

FYI - I have two Sears Diehard batteries in my Dodge diesel and they are nice batteries. All the folks over at Turbo Diesel Registry (forum for Dodge diesel owners) swear by them. They're not cheap, but they're what I'll be looking at when it's time to replace my camper's batteries. BTW, if you have a business Sears will open a business account for you and give you a GREAT deal on them! I think I save over $100 on my truck batteries.

Thanks to all for advice. I don't have space for a 2 6V set up. And in fact, the Diehard Platinum 31M will not fit into the 11" x 7" x 8" plastic battery box. The Diehard 34M would just fit. But it isn't AGM. Is that critical? Hard to compare 31M and 34M, since specs on later are rather incomplete.

menoco said:
Thanks to all for advice. I don't have space for a 2 6V set up. And in fact, the Diehard Platinum 31M will not fit into the 11" x 7" x 8" plastic battery box. The Diehard 34M would just fit. But it isn't AGM. Is that critical? Hard to compare 31M and 34M, since specs on later are rather incomplete.
AGM is critical. If not AGM you need a sealed and vented battery box. You can buy a new battery box to fit the 31M diehard. I did that when I put the Diehard 31M in my 2002 Hawk. No problems with the battery in over 4 years, working great when I sold it. I have 2 of the FWC batteries in my 2013 Hawk if they go out I will be going to the Diehard 31M (2?).

Bill

menoco said:
If you have room for a larger battery box just get a new one and the bigger battery. The plastic box's are cheep enough.
If you have the battery in the camper yes the AGM is needed.
Frank

menoco said:
You can ditch the battery box with an AGM, which should free up room. Strap the battery down directly to the floor instead.

Uh, even AGM batteries can have a leakage issue, so, I'd recommend that they also go into a battery box.

Here's my 4 year old AGM battery that I was contacted by the manufacturer about a possible issue.
They asked me to check mine and report back to them.
Small damage to the bottom of the case and a small leakage into my plastic battery case.
Something no one saw when I purchased/picked up the battery.

img_98154_0_6959bf91e341c81a738878b1f7964116.jpg

img_98154_2_b3bad2aa2a6bf8b8dddd7fa170358ab3.jpg

The battery showed no signs of electrical issues, still worked good, however, they sent me a brand new unit at no cost to me, not even shipping costs, and they sent a return shipping label, so I could send the old battery back to them, at their cost. They wouldn't say how the issue came to their attention.

Perhaps an unusual occurrence, however, the battery box is just like insurance, at least to me.

The company... Lifeline.

Toast, you anticipated and answered my next question. W/o box, 31M should take up no more room. As Alley-Kat says, box is good insurance. I can't get Diehard here in Jackson, WY; can't even be shipped for pickup at our small Sears outlet. So, will get on our road trip - next week -- and see if Sears has box and its size.

Whether the leakage is into a box or onto the linoleum floor, the hazard from any (albeit rare) AGM battery leakage is not from the small amount of fluid, but from any gases that might vent through the crack in the battery shell. A battery box doesn't reduce that hazard at all unless the box is vented to the outside of the camper. If the battery box isn't vented, it is just taking up extra room, IMO.

You will want a true deep cycle battery. I compare the weight of a battery to a starter battery of the same size: if it is much heavier (because of the thick solid lead plates), it probably is a deep cycle battery.
AGM batteries have a valve that will release gasses at a preset value (~ 4 lbs. over ambient). Probably only an issue if you have major elevation gain or or your battery gets hot.

http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html#Major Battery Types

Back
Top Bottom