Jack brackets repurposed

Beach

How many of you have removed the jacks and use the brackets for other purposes? Installed my new TV antenna to an open jack bracket. Antenna sits atop an old extendable tent pole for when I need extra range. I set up the mount with 5/16 ss bolts and wing nuts for easy on/off. I don't always rough it, but have never carried a T.V. out camping before either, Hope I don't look like one of those class A guys. I figured if I find I don't use it camping much, I can always get rid of cable at home(don't get me started on that one)and use it there.

I'm planning to make a bracket to hold a Trasheroo and 4' ladder.

Always remove jacks before I travel. Brackets are used for: attaching bottom of poles holding out rear awning (home made), one end of clothes line (other in the trees), one end of ratchet strap (when turnbuckle hold down broke) other end some place under the truck, and I am pretty sure there were others. They are just about the first place I look when I need to attach something.

Yep, use the brackets for attaching different things, also bolted hooks into the lowest holes to hang things on (packs, dog stuff, hats, garbage bags, pheasants, grouse, etc.)

Currently I'm using all 4 for tie-downs, and the LF to mount the 2M ham antenna (1/2 wave NGP). All are somewhat visible in this pic when enlarged:
DSCF0480.JPG

Reading some of the previous posts it occurred to me that with some risers I could likely attach the tarp-awning strut to them as well.

I use the jack brackett with a "S" Hook to attach a 2 gallon Reliance plastic water bag to rinse my hands, boots & Razor Clams at the Grayland, WA beach.

I use the brackets at home (projecting) to haul long pipe/angle iron/etc on the passenger side.
Depends on what I'm hauling as to how I strap it on.
Works well.

Interesting idea freebird. If it doesn't fit in the camper I put it up top but thats hard to do unless I brought a ladder. Using the brackets is a pretty good idea.

Not attached to the jack brackets, but our 8'-25' telescoping antenna mast (re-purposed RV flag pole) rides in a capped section of ABS pipe attached to the camper's side over-hang.

ntsqd said:
Not attached to the jack brackets, but our 8'-25' telescoping antenna mast (re-purposed RV flag pole) rides in a capped section of ABS pipe attached to the camper's side over-hang.
Photos of the ABS container and its mounting, please, if you get a chance. I'd like to to carry mine there, also. Thus far, I have been storing it crosswise in front of my dinette. Mine closes to ~6.5 ft.

Paul

Until recently I had a homemade awning attached to my jack brackets. (Telescoping aluminum uprights and a crossbar made of electrical conduit) It was damaged beyond repair on a brushy dirt track in Idaho last summer. I'll be keeping it lean and clean on the road from now on.

PaulT said:
Photos of the ABS container and its mounting, please, if you get a chance. I'd like to to carry mine there, also. Thus far, I have been storing it crosswise in front of my dinette. Mine closes to ~6.5 ft.

Paul
Nothing special. Two footman loops from West Marine with a hose clamp threaded thru the loops and around the ABS at each end. Front end of the ABS has a glued-on cap. Rear has a threaded adapter with a clean-out cap. I used a little toothpaste on the threads and ran them back and forth a bunch and then final assembled with some anti-seize in the threads. I cut the tube length to be *just* long enough so that it has a hard time gaining enough inertia to punch thru or work its way thru the cap.

I have flip down steps, like the ones on the back, attached on my front brackets.. Handy for getting the kayaks/surfboards on.. I had thought I would install them to be removable using the jack holes, but when I put aluminum jack brackets on my hawk, I permanently mounted them. Bolted through the step, through bracket, into camper..
I have also used the jack brackets as a hammock hanger, or one side of a hammock anyways.. Other side to tree or whatever..Have camped with other fwc's and set up so we could run hammocks camper to camper, bracket to bracket... Then run a good shade over between campers as well.. Looks pretty cool, and super functional

TT

Great old thread. Wondering if anyway has additional ideas about repurposing jack brackets. I am trying to optimize storage options for my Hawk. I was thinking that I could perhaps attach PVC and roll up my outdoor mats.

Gosh. I don't know if I would trust the brackets with the weight of a spare tire. That is a lot of weight once it is in motion when the truck is moving up-and-down on the highway. I think the loads would be substantially greater every time you hit a big bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom