Jack for truck

adrian

Advanced Member
I need to purchase a jack for 2017 tundra with 4wh camper. I don't believe the standard truck jack would raise truck & camper up if I ever had the need. So far I've been lucky. Would like to know what other camper have purchased?

Adrian, I just bought a SafeJack Sergeant with 8 ton jack upgrade. A bit pricy, but well made.

I added a piece of plywood for the jack to spread the weight and be more stable.

I jacked up my Toyota T-100/4wheel camper with the jack that came with the truck. At first the jack was driven into the ground (it was dry and crusty on the surface but gooey and wet a few inches down) but I found a piece of lumber in the nearby fire ring which solved the problem. The camper was a shell model loaded pretty heavily with water and supplies for a week in the desert but certainly well under the weight maximum so my anecdote may be perfectly useless.

I have a 2007 Tundra and was told that the jacks that come with them are pretty darn good and could easily handle my Hawk Shell. I can’t remember the weight capacity but I remember thinking it was good enough. I did test it once in the comfort of my own driveway and it worked fine. They may have changed since 07 but you might double check yours for the capacity.
If I am wrong in my thinking someone please let me know. Like all my recovery gear, tire plugs etc, it’s all things you hope you don’t have to use.

I would like to thank everyone for their information. I may go with a scissor jack, what do you think?

If you read the article I linked and noted the surplus Humvee scissors jack and the adapter—that's an affordable and very strong option. Bulkier than a bottle jack, though, and can't use the excellent accessories from Safe Jack.

Based on J. Hanson’s recommendation in his article my suggestion of a 2-ton floor jack is undergunned. I actually carry a 3-ton which, based on 2/3 of my 9200# GVW, is just about right. No thanks to any conscious calculation on my part, just happenstance.

Two reasons I carry the floor jack: 1) I already owned it, and 2) I witnessed a truck roll off a bottle jack. To be sure, adequate chocking and a functioning parking brake were absent. I like the features of the Safe Jack and if I were to buy something today, it would be a strong consideration.

Back
Top Bottom