Jayco Sportster 8ft - Renovation

A Happy New Year to all of you !!

Slow motion in the workshop...... Outside temperature the last weeks down to 2°F stopped the last interest in working with our Friend Jayco.

This week the temp "raised" up to 39° F so i had a chance to check if Jayco is well. :D

One of our crossbars (see above) is not well bonded to the roof. So i have to wait for higher temps for a new try...
The fridge is fixed in a unconventional method: His "feet" are fixed between some wood slats and from the doorlock we installed a small ratchet strap to the camper frame to hold the box in place. So it has the possibility to move millimeters if the camper is bending in some situations. Also the service access door of the fridge is newly mounted.

20593449ye.jpg

All the outside roof lights have been replaced by LED-Lights. The wiring is changed a little: The front lamps ( white to match european rules) , side lamps and the outside rear lamps of the roof are wired to work with the trucks driving lights. The three red lights in the rear middle of the roof are now wired as additional brake lights.

The rear corners get LED-Marker-lights ( forward white/rear red) like we used to have on the busses we work with.
Wiring is completed, only the lamps are missing. I am afraid to crack them while working on the camper.

20593452kt.jpg

We considered some options for a properly sealed roof + new white paint to the roof. A friend gave me the idea to use a spray-on-bedliner! On Ebay i found the 2-k-pu-bedliner "U-Pol-Raptor". This bedliner is available transparent with the possibility to mix it with 10% of acrylic-car-paint . There is no additional hardener for the paint necessary. This Job is done by the hardener of the bedliner). This allows us to have a sleek white look at our roof, roff protection and it covers and seals all the screws along the aluminium profile in middle of the roof.

This bedliner could be a great option for everyone who likes to have his truckbed in the trucks colour and also having it protected.

A little progress, not on the camper but on the truck:

the 7-pole-wiring that provides 12V, ignition power, power to the campers roof light ( to switch on/off while driving down the road), additional brake lights is installed. I used a spiral cable from the electric brake connection of Mercedes Benz Trucks for this.

20851827uk.jpg

A DeeZee tailgate assist is installed now:

20851833fy.jpg

Searching for an idea to get into the camper we disassembled an old stepladder and built an unique construction for this:

20851831tp.jpg

20851832jr.jpg

It works great. By the time the camper is loaded we will think how to stow it.
As an alternative we are planning to build somethink like the DeboStep:

http://www.domoretruck.com/slide-step_pickup_truck_tailgate_step.cfm

Does anyone have any experience with the DEBOStep?

Hello Alan,

thank you for the compliment. :giggle:

I hope i will not disappoint you with trip reports. I am not the "great photographer". The landscapes in europe are more cozy and not as wide and phantastic as you have in the US. Also in western europe there are not so much unpayed byways and gravelroads which are allowed to travel on.

But we have lots of nice old towns and interesting regions which will find your interest.

Manfred

Nothing new for you US - guys.
Thanks to a good contact to Northstar of germany ( www.northstarmobil.de) i received my Happijac Tiedown last week and installed it on saturday.

21255414xn.jpg

Another project is to install a backup camera. While considering various possibilities (...there was no good posibility ) my wife came up with the simplest version ever: Why not to install the rearviewcam inside the camper in the rear window ?? The cam is safe and clean and .....THATS IT !!
I ordered the smallest double cam available ( it was a bargain from 499,- € to 89,- € at a high quality).

21255429im.jpg

The plan is to install a connector in the rear seat box to the truckbed, then a short cable with electronic protection to another connection located in the rear stake pocket. Through the stake pocket i will run the wiring harnesses of the two cams below the truckbed to the dashboard.

21255437xy.jpg

The backup cam will be connected to a JVC Double-Size Receiver with Touchscreen. The second cam i plan to connect to a 7" rearview-mirror-monitor. So the cam can work like a rearview mirror.

When i came home from work yesterday there was a smell of paint in our workshop......
I went into the workshop and there was.......
Christmas Day in March.....

Viola, my best of all wifes had applied the Raptor-Bedliner- to the roof of our camper! And it looks great !

21322775au.jpg

Before:
21322776qq.jpg

After:

21322788pn.jpg

21322777ak.jpg

Before:
21322792rl.jpg

After:

21322819oa.jpg

The used product:

21322831kw.jpg

The transparent Raptor-Liner is mixed with hardener up to a mark inside the bottle, then if you like to colour it, add 10% Volume of the preferred Acrylic paint ( no additional hardener needed ). Then shake it for 2 minutes and spray it with an undercoat gun.
Viola worked with 3,6 bar = ~ 52 psi Air pressure.

@ takesiteasy: she made much more points than me :D

@ Wandering Sagebrush: Thank you very much. We are glad that you enjoy our work. We hope to finish it like this.
Now we have one problem remaining: The ceiling in the camper . The method i wanted to apply doesn´t work as expected.
I think we go back to the old fashioned plywood ....

Temperatures raise, so the fun starts again:

Yesterday we had material temps of 57,5°F so we decided to install the solar-panels.
Starting with some Butyl-tape in the middle ( so it will be possible to remove a panel if it is broken )
then Terostat-Polymer-Glue all around the panel ( similar to Sikaflex but this one works from 41°F , Sikaflex only from 50°F )

21432382xk.jpg

21432383bp.jpg

let it rest overnight:

21432384ca.jpg

and that´s it:

21432385ke.jpg

A little wiring and our solar-power-station is ready to work.

Working on the new upholstery let us think about our adress: "Saddlers Street"

21432434ft.jpg

21432437eg.jpg

We also worked on the truck. A double size JVC-Radio was installed. A Front-Cam in the grille and the wiring to the double backup-cam. One of the cams is connected to a 7" Monitor in the rearview-mirror, the other one and the front cam via external switch to the radio-monitor.

On the way to our first truckcamper meeting in 2015 at the "Holy mountain of Andechs monastery" we made a big step forward.

We loaded the camper on our truck!

Using Hi-Jack-copies was a little difficult . The camper swayed on the four poles and it looked dangerous:
WE had to lift it 16 inches from the trailer on the truck.

21527084lc.jpg

21527085ab.jpg

21527087km.jpg

Adding 22mm particle board was required to get some free space between cabover and truck.

21527102jv.jpg

21517300ra.jpg

Upcoming problem:
The camper was loaded and because of the happijac-tiedown-system it was not possible to close the tailgate. >First we removed the Plastic blocks from the system. But it was not enough!

21527132ki.jpg

We decided to do a cutout from the tailgate and close it with some Epoxy and fiberglass.

21527151tn.jpg

21527152yc.jpg

After it cured i will apply some herculiner bedliner to hide this repair

Just got caught up on your build returning from an 8,000 mile trip. You should be proud of the job you did, the camper looks great.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom