Jump Starter 'battery' pack

5outta6

Anyone own a Jump starter battery pack such as Noco boost or Micro start or other brands and have any opinions on which are the best?

I have the Noco GB40. Never used it on my vehicle but have jump started others, works great. Holds a charge for a long time, I charge it once a year just to be sure but it never needs much.

Only complaint is that the cables are a bit short. One of my vehicles has the battery under the floor in the cargo area so it has remote terminals under the hood for jump starting. The terminals are about 22” apart and the Noco cables aren’t long enough to reach both.

I can’t say which is best as I’ve only used the Noco. I travel solo frequently and I think something like this is a must have. Never needed it but glad I have it.

I have a DB Power jumper, works great, as above, I've used it to jump others more than me. It's recommended to be charged every 3 months. I've done that and its rarely less than 95% after 3 months even if I have used it. Cables are very short, but haven't been a problem.

I carry a Jump n Carry JNC 660. I have used it several times. Great backup battery for a big truck.

I've got Rockford model that's rated to jump start small V8s but I've used it on my 6.2 gasser with no problem and it has jumped several other small cars. 3 years old, still takes and holds a charge very well. I would avoid the cheaper off brands as they don't have a good reputation for battery longevity.

I was gifted a $50 phone back up battery that came in a med sized notebook case so i charged it and tossed it in the truck..and immediately forgot about it. While traveling, my phone charge cord failed and i remembered that there was a usb cord and adapters with the battery so I pulled over to look for the cord. In the case was a pair of small battery clamps which i thought were a joke. When i went to restart, the truck just clicked and i knew the 5+yr old battery was done. Stuck in a parking lot, i opened up the notebook case and had a chuckle when i grabbed the battery, clamps and cord. Much to my amazement, the little back up battery, about the size of a smart phone, started the truck with ease...and still charged my phone...so the moral, i am not sure there is a best, they are probably all from china...but even the cheap ones work

I have extensive experience with the Micro-Start. We've used them heavily at the Overland Expo; I've lost count of how many attendee vehicles and motorcycles we've jumped with the half-dozen we keep on hand. We've abused them by hooking three together and welding with them, to the horror of the company's owner. We keep one in every vehicle we own.

My philosophy is, if you get out a jump starter something has already gone wrong. In that situation I want the best possible backup.

Left the Streamlight flashlight in it's charging cradle and ran the CTD's batteries way down. Didn't discover this until I was trying to leave on an impromptu trip. A half hour of the 4rnnr idling at high speed while jumpered to the CTD still wouldn't start it, even with the 4rnnr still connected and at high idle. Would barely click.

Remembered I had this: https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Gravity-XP-10HD-Starter-Flashlight-Carrying/dp/B07661CL25/ and figured that I had nothing to loose. Connected it only to the PS battery and the Cummins 6BT roared to life! The trip started out with about 300 miles of highway driving, but before leaving I made sure that the microstart had a full charge just in case.

I'd suggest buying as big as your budget can afford. You're not likely to ever say "I wish this jumper battery had less capacity." You are likely to be thankful that it started your truck when it only had a 1/4 charge.

Mine’s the XP-1, kept in my 6.0 gasser. I’ve had it for more than a couple of years and works great. But ntsqd makes a good point. Looks like the price difference is about $70 between the “1” and “10”, you’ll have to determine your threshold of pain.

What is the reputation of the NOCO brand?/ That is what my local battery shop offers and they said they stock it and have been using it regularly when they get calls to go jump a vehicle. They use the GB40 model rated at 1000 amps.

Don't own a Noco jump starter but my 8 yr old Noco 7200 charger has been excellent.

Another issue on jump starters is how to recharge it while I am in nomad mode camping throughout the desert SW for several months boodocking on BLM land. I have read most of these lithium ion jumpers hold a charge for 3-4 months, but I wonder it they have enough left to start a truck after even two months. Any thoughts on this?

Think I just found the answer: seems that these devices can be charged with a USB cable and I do have a device for doing that using the alternator while driving.

When I used mine to start the CTD it had been sitting for a couple of months after having been fully charged just the once.

Whateve one they sell at Costco works great. Holds charge a long and jumps a full size truck no problem.

In recent years I've been sorely tempted to pick up a Noco or MicroStart jumper. And when I review them online, there'll be a high percentage of satisfied users, but . . . invariably there'll be some 10-20% or so of the reviewers that swear the product will eventually swell up to the point of being a significant hazard, so I back off on ordering one. So, is this really a thing? What are my 'real' chances of having buyer's remorse if I were to purchase a Noco or MicroStart or equivalent for long term use? Thanks,
Rico.

I have read to not store fully charged, so not sure how well that fits in with having one for emergency. Seems like it needs to be fully charged to last until the emergency happens. Or maybe just keep it around 70 -80 percent of charge, and use an inverter to keep it at that level while camping.

Back
Top Bottom