Just ordered a new Fleet

Bosque Bill

I'm very excited. I just ordered a new Fleet for my new Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4x4 today!

Ordered from Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel in Arvada (Denver.) I'd driven up there in September to check out the FWC's as I hadn't seen one in person before that. Was amazed at how comfortable it was for something that sits in a very small truck even for an oversized fellow like myself. Getting the compressor fridge, furnace, LED lights, two house batteries, and a few other trimmings. I'm getting the solar wiring plug, but will hold off on getting a panel and controller for a while.

Chris seems like a super guy, very knowledgable and patient with all my questions. Rough estimate for delivery is March. Then I can start posting photos and trip reports.

Reading the WTW forums for a couple of months has been a big help, too, especially the FWC sub-forum.

Can't wait to join the fun.

Bill

p.s., signed up for the full Overland Expo in Flagstaff, too, so I can take some classes to learn new skills and meet folks.

I'm very excited. I just ordered a new Fleet for my new Toyota Access Cab V6 4x4 today!

Ordered from Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel in Arvada (Denver.) I'd driven up there in September to check out the FWC's as I hadn't seen one in person before that. Was amazed at how comfortable it was for something that sits in a very small truck even for an oversized fellow like myself. Getting the compressor fridge, furnace, LED lights, two house batteries, and a few other trimmings. I'm getting the solar wiring plug, but will hold off on getting a panel and controller for a while.

Chris seems like a super guy, very knowledgable and patient with all my questions. Rough estimate for delivery is March. Then I can start posting photos and trip reports.

Reading the WTW forums for a couple of months has been a big help, too, especially the FWC sub-forum.

Can't wait to join the fun.

Bill

p.s., signed up for the full Overland Expo in Flagstaff, too, so I can take some classes to learn new skills and meet folks.

My guess is you will be a happy camper. Don't hold off on the solar too long. We took a couple of years - which in retro was too long.

Congratulations Bill. Curiosity question: which seating arrangement did you choose?

Thanks. I got the traditional side sofa arrangement. I had been thinking of the side-dinnette, as it looked very handy, but when I first talked to Chris and explained I was a "big" guy, he said he thought I'd feel cramped in that arrangement. I drove up to Denver in September to check things out and he had a late model Fleet in to add a solar panel and it had the side-dinette. He was right; the way the truck box comes in there is not much leg room and it did feel cramped. There was an Eagle with the side-couch and it felt roomier to me. YMMV.

I asked about the newer front-dinette set-up, like Jonathan Hanson has, but have never seen one IRL. He said it would likely feel roomier than the side-dinette (for one person) as the table is on a swivel, but it is quite a bit more expensive. Jonathan and his wife are both quite a bit smaller than I and love their configuration, based upon what he writes in his blog.

Bill

Thanks for the explanation Bill. I totally understand that the side dinette could feel cramped - it is close to that for my wife and I and we are not very big. We are interested in the front dinette and hope to see it at the Portland Outdoor show in a few weeks. As you mentioned, the cost is significant and I'm having trouble understanding why it is $700 more than the side dinette. (Stan@FWC: any input here?) Anyway, really appreciate your point of view because we are getting ready to order our Fleet and the seating is a huge decision.

steelhead

steelhead,

Did you see Jonathan's excellent post on his front-dinette Fleet? Home Away from Home Tour

For one thing, it looks like there is quite a bit more cabinetry, which would impact the cost. But it does look very nice. The post also has a number of useful tips for storage, etc.

Bill

We have a front dinette Grandby. There is significantly more storage than the side dinette or roll-over couch. The entire interior space is so much more efficient and liveable. I posted pictures of mine earlier this month after our first camping trip.

For one thing, it looks like there is quite a bit more cabinetry, which would impact the cost.

Inside and outside shower also. Feels like there are a couple other special features, but I can not think of them off the top of my head.

I just picked up my Front-Dinette Hawk Shell. I believe mine was the first one FWC has done on a shell model. I'm really, really happy with the layout...so much room! Would not be a problem for a big guy, as my feet don't even touch the ground(I'm 5'10"). The seats are about 30" wide and fold to make a bed. I also ordered the furnace, stove, arctic pack, steps, fan, etc. I'm adding L-track to the floor as we speak and should have it finished up this weekend. I'll post a full thread with photos and descriptions this weekend. Also, I'm in the Portland area if someone local wants to check it out...it's currently off my truck in my garage...

f.

Thanks for the feedback guys - very helpful and additional cabinetry would add cost. Bill - yes, I have been following Jonathan's JATAC build and the article you linked to is what got us thinking about the front dinette instead of the side. JHa6av8r - I have been following your posts but seem to have missed the interior photos so will look for them. Thanks again.

steelhead

Back
Top Bottom