Just ordered my FWC Fleet! Have couple questions for y'all.

hoyden

Lady Bug
Hi!

After a ton of research and then going back and forth as to which layout I wanted, I made the plunge. At first I was dead-set on the "self contained" model for ultimate boondocking. However, after standing in one and checking it out for a while, I realized I didn't like the loss of use and ambient light of both side windows and decided that if I need to shower, I can use the outside one or go to a park with facilities. The side-dinette layout felt more open and airy and still very functional.

Yesterday, Adventure Trailers here in lovely Prescott, Arizona had an open house. I was able to get a feel for the different layouts in person, which is what I needed to cement my decision. I jumped in feet first and ordered a Fleet with the side-dinette for my 2014 Tacoma. I'm very excited!

I'm really hoping it gets done and installed before Thanksgiving week so that my inaugural ride can be home to Illinois for Thanksgiving!

As my subject line says, I have questions. Hoping you all have some suggestions.

1) I've looked on the forum, researched online and know I'm opening up a can of worms here that is probably only topped if I asked about your favorite oil or what gas octane to use. But I'm throwing this out there anyway.

I'm still researching the best suspension for my very moderate off-road needs. I've been told that air-bags will do the trick, but I'm considering OME front shocks with Coils probably 600-650 lbs rear OME shocks, plus OME Dakar leaf with at least 1 overload. But I'm still learning suspension...

2) I'm also researching toilet options. (that sounds like the beginning of a bad joke)
I ordered the port-a-potty, but I'm not fond of the idea of taking the toilet top off, carrying the waste out to a dump station and pouring. It is what it is. I talked with Lou Ortego from Restop and he recommended the "pee and poo bags' and I'm considering using them in the port-a-potty instead of bothering with the flush. They seem efficient, easy to use, convenient and relatively smell-free for transport times. That said, it seems overkill to have a port-a-potty and not use its functions. But I also want something that is more toilet-like than a bucket.

I'll probably have more questions as I go along, so, thank you in advance! :)

I bought an Eagle from AT for my 2015 Tacoma, great guys. I started out with just air bags but finally ended up having AT put an OME heavy front and rear. I also added an ARB bumper and winch, so that's why the heavy springs on the front. I have an Aluminess rear bumper and found I wanted an extra leaf in the rear in addition to the airbags. I really like the ride on and off road with that setup.

I use a PETT toilet and double doody or wag bags. I have a pop up shelter that I use as both a toilet and shower enclosure. I've found it works very well.

I also use a privacy tent for shower/toilet, my wife is to modest to just go naked and afraid next to the camper:). I fill the portapotti and use it, dumping in vault/regular toilets as I go. I do bring it into camper at night for late night emergencies. I haven't had any issues other then one gagging moment in a pit toilet trying to dump in July, I about puked and the wife had a great laugh...

We have a Porta potti Curve and use it at night and first thing in the morning. Taking the top off isn't and issue and to empty we usually make it home and empty in toilet and then wash it out in yard. If on longer trip we empty at dump station or vault toilet, no problems

Congrats on new camper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks all!
I'm really excited and hate waiting! Ha! I'm crossing fingers and toes and my Pugsly's paws hoping that it'll be done, ready, and installed before Thanksgiving week so that I can take my inaugural trip back home to visit my family in Illinois!

Jollyrogers said:
I also use a privacy tent for shower/toilet, my wife is to modest to just go naked and afraid next to the camper:). I fill the portapotti and use it, dumping in vault/regular toilets as I go. I do bring it into camper at night for late night emergencies. I haven't had any issues other then one gagging moment in a pit toilet trying to dump in July, I about puked and the wife had a great laugh...
I was thinking I'd probably end up showering outside in my bathing suit.
I think I'll feel too vulnerable in a privacy tent where I can't see out. Ah, paranoia. :)

I like the mostly no issues.... and I'm going to ignore the 'one gagging moment' !

Thanks for the info!

We also opted for a PETT toilet and WAG bags and have a privacy shelter but rarely use it. We also carry Little John urinals mainly for the middle of the night. My wife has a Lady J adapter for the Little Johns.

I have the tall Thetford tall port a potty. Hold 5 gallons in the bottom tank. Better to dump more often than let it get full. Damn thing gets real heavy, only did that once.

billharr said:
I have the tall Thetford tall port a potty. Hold 5 gallons in the bottom tank. Better to dump more often than let it get full. Damn thing gets real heavy, only did that once.
Ha! I can see me having a disastrous night trying to carry a full potty outside...

We too have the tall Thetford porta-potty. Secret is to only put 2 gallons in the fresh water reserve top tank (keeps empty weight at around 20 pounds).

We use it primarily at night and the local facilities the rest of the time. We have been using portapotty's for the last 29 years through a series of truck campers and shells. Dumping is easy because the spout is long and good size and their is a button release valve to help keep the process cleaner.

We just recently learned that the liquid Thetford fluid disolves solid waste which greately diminished the "splash factor". On long trips we dump every one week (2 people) or 2 weeks (1 person).

RC Pilot Jim said:
We too have the tall Thetford porta-potty. Secret is to only put 2 gallons in the fresh water reserve top tank (keeps empty weight at around 20 pounds).

We use it primarily at night and the local facilities the rest of the time. We have been using portapotty's for the last 29 years through a series of truck campers and shells. Dumping is easy because the spout is long and good size and their is a button release valve to help keep the process cleaner.

We just recently learned that the liquid Thetford fluid disolves solid waste which greately diminished the "splash factor". On long trips we dump every one week (2 people) or 2 weeks (1 person).
That's a good amount of time between emptying! I'm starting to feel better about the port-a-potty.

Thanks!

Airbags vs beefed up suspension will come down to one question. Is your camper on full time or just part time?

My truck is set up to have my camper on full time so I put extra leaf springs on my truck to beef up my suspension. Inexpensive but very effective. The only down side is when I take my camper off, the my tail end of the truck is really high and my head lights point at the ground. I really hate driving at night with out the camper to level my truck out. If I had airbags I could adjust the lift.

I got NAPA gold shocks but they are woefully inadequate on my Dodge Dakota and have warn out after just 2 years.

Kolockum said:
Airbags vs beefed up suspension will come down to one question. Is your camper on full time or just part time?<snip>
Oh. I hadn't really considered that that would be a determining reason. I plan to have it on more than off. Too much of a hassle to take on and off, and I want to have the ability to just GO whenever (weekend. working stiff :) ) I have the desire and not have to waste the time loading it up.

Looking like going with the OME set-up is the way to go.

OME from what I hear is about the best you can get. I pretty much lived out of my camper for several years and wanted something simpler and more reliable than airbags. I also believe that beefed up suspension will preform better off-road than airbags.

Kolockum said:
OME from what I hear is about the best you can get. I pretty much lived out of my camper for several years and wanted something simpler and more reliable than airbags. I also believe that beefed up suspension will preform better off-road than airbags.
That's what a friend of my recommended. I trust his judgement, and my research backed that assessment.
Good to hear you say that too!

I am hesitant to spend more money... but I also want to do this right from the get-go. I know how difficult it can be to "do it later" so I decided to to it right from the beginning. That said, I also don't want to over-do-it or go over-kill because of some stress reaction.

Clean Waste Toilette with Wag Bags for me and a privacy tent with the G/F is with me. She prefers that than the out house. Very easy to dispose of.

KMac said:
Some folks including the PA 4WC dealer like this setup:
http://www.restop.com/
Yah! At the AT Open House this past weekend, I met Lou Ortego from Restop and he gave me a couple of those bags as "samples" so I can try em out.

I ordered the port-a-potty (although technically my order doesn't go in til tomorrow. stoopid holiday weekend :) ) Which is part of why this last minute toilet research. :)

When I ordered my camper on Saturday, I realized that I had been thinking about the cassette toilet that in the full-size truck version has a little door in the outside back of the camper from which to pull the little cassette for dumping. That, I liked. But my Tacoma won't have that option. So when I realized at ordering that the port-a-potty was so different, I started my research.

After reading all your replies, I'm thinking what I'll do is leave the port-a-potty on my order, and try the normal dumping process. If I can't stand that, I'll use the Restop bag inside the potty.

Congrats on the new camper.

My biggest issue with the Shower / Toilet is the time it takes to set up a portable enclosure .
I tend to look for a different view of sunset every night. That can be be a p.i.t.a. having to sit it up AND take it down EVERY DAY. :oops:

Bombsight said:
Congrats on the new camper.

My biggest issue with the Shower / Toilet is the time it takes to set up a portable enclosure .
I tend to look for a different view of sunset every night. That can be be a p.i.t.a. having to sit it up AND take it down EVERY DAY. :oops:
Thanks! I'm excited! I drempt about it last night! Ha!

That's part of why I ended up opting to not get the inside shower. I know the ways in which I'm lazy, and I think after a few times of struggling with the curtain and dealing with drying it, I'd probably stop using it. It'll be interesting to see what the outside shower is like. I'm thinking I'll prolly not use a privacy shelter thing, but instead wash off in my bathing suit.

Might hafta look into rigging some kind of hook for the nozzle on the outside of the camper so I can go hands-free and be able to wash my hair.

Is the water pressure enough for getting soap out of long hair?

Lots of times I just take a shower outside with a pair of Patagonia baggies on and then change out of the wet clothes inside the camper. If I'm camping dispersed and there is cover nearby I'll often just dig a cat hole - assuming it's allowed where I am, or just set up my PETT toilet somewhere out of sight. The enclosure I have (http://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Portable-Privacy-Tent/dp/B00G3P5XGC), though, doesn't take much time to set up and take down. I had a porta potti for years but hated to use it and finally got rid of it the last time I cleaned out the garage; I like the PETT approach much better.

They have recently changed the shower control so I don't know if this is still true, but on my 2014 version I can just hang mine on the door for hands free.

One thing I find handy is a Trasharoo. I keep my PETT toilet and gray water hose in it and also use it to pack out trash and waste. Before I got my rear spare tire carrier I just strapped the Trasharoo to the back door. I never had any problems with water getting in around the straps.

Back
Top Bottom