Just ordered my FWC Fleet! Have couple questions for y'all.

Stalking Light said:
Sounds about like my setup except I only got 100w (I have a 60w foldable that I plug into the back but wish I had 160w on the roof) and I only orered one fan but later upgraded the other vent too. My setup came 30# gas struts but I found that wasn't enough and I had them upgraded to 40#.
How'd you do that strut upgrade?

I love the solar option. I am also happy that the external plug is now part of the build, so I can add portable solar in the future if I want!

I was out in the Bay area to visit a new grandson and had them do it at the factory. You could probably get AT to change your order if you wanted. You don't want to go too high since then it will be hard to take down, but I found that with my 100w panel, the Yakima towers and bars, and a Rod Vault fly rod holder on the roof full time I could barely lift mine. With the 40# it is much easier. Not sure what the standard strut is with the 160w panel is, though, might be beefier that mine were. There is a thread on WTW that shows how to rig up an on stage speaker stand as a roof lifter, and I have done that, but still like to be able to raise and lower by hand.

hoyden said:
ALL OF THEM!
ha! okay, maybe not all, but my wallet thinks so.
I figured if I'm going to do this, might as well do it right from the start.

- Side dinette
- Flush mount sink and stove.
- 8' side awning
- 160w solar panel w/controller
- mechanical jacks
- furnace w/thermostat
- outside shower + water heater and pump
- two fan-tas-tic fans (one is free cuz I ordered during Open House)
- Yakima "tracks only" on roof
- Rear wall steps (for roof maintenance etc)
- Thermal pack
- Camper battery system + 2nd deep cycle battery
- side dinette w/swivel table
- Gas strut roof assists (exterior)
[SIZE=12.8px]- Dovetail Greystone Fabric option "dogbone" [/SIZE]
Nice. We opted for the glass top over the stove, but not the sink so we could get a pull out faucet/sprayer. Also, a solar plug on the rear wall gives you a later option for a portable panel. jd

longhorn1 said:
Nice. We opted for the glass top over the stove, but not the sink so we could get a pull out faucet/sprayer. Also, a solar plug on the rear wall gives you a later option for a portable panel. jd
Interesting. That is nice idea with the sink.

the solar plus on rear outside wall now comes standard!

Super spring helper springs did not work on my Tacoma2015/Fleet similar to your specs. I had the leaf pack rebuilt by Oakland Springs, less than $500—they told me not to bother replacing the stock TRD blisteen shocks. Works fine. Our interest is moderate 4x4 too, and so far the weight of the camper has seemed to have a positive effect rather than a negative effect, not sure what the fuss is about, though I worried for months waiting for my camper.

Just passed four weeks since ordering!

Been reading all the owners manuals listed on FourWH.com site ( this one is the current one I'm reading: http://www.fourwh.com/FWC_Owners_Manual_03.20.2014.pdf )

Got my OME kit installed a few weeks ago. I almost need a step to get into my truck now! (I'm kinda short :) )

My Amazon Wishlist is now separated into three sections: "Wishlist" "Books" "Travel"
They are all quite long now and I think tonight I will separate them out more with new headings.
I also made a built sheet in trello.com with to-do-lists
( dunno if y'all can see this: https://trello.com/b/dSUCNc9Y/fwc-truck-planning )

Antsy!

Hoyden

I don't know if you've upgraded your suspension as of yet....

If not...take a look at adding the following components.

1. BOSS Air Bags. Install the the switches for the remote pump along with the gauge just above the cmaper's light switches. You can do a temporary install until your camper is installed. Depending on you loadout, 10 - 12 psi will get you started. Tweak to find your desired ride.

2. ICON shocks. V.S. 2.0 with 0 - 3" of lift should work fine.

3. Load Range E tires. Folks often overlook this aspect since existing rubber is likely good. But, the camper will be putting some high stress on the rear tire sidewalls so the extra plys of the LRE tire will help considerably. I'm assuming you have the upgraded 16" wheels. Take a hard look at the BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2 tire.

With these items installed, you shouldn't need coil over shocks, new coils up front or leaf springs in the rear with the above coponents.

Advmoto18 said:
Hoyden

I don't know if you've upgraded your suspension as of yet....
<snip>
Hi there!

I did upgrade my suspension already - got an Old Man Emu kit installed a couple of weeks ago. Still wondering if airbags might not be a bad idea too? Would they help with leveling? Or overkill?

The E-rated tires are something I've been considering. I know I want them, but my current tires (stock) are in great shape. I was thinking I'd wear these out, then do the E-rated. You are correct that the camper will put high stress on the sidewalls... too much for stock?

I had air bags before I upgraded to OME heavy plus extra leaf and still use the air bags for a bit of leveling. I also went to E rated tires right off the bat, including the spare.

Old Man Emu are great springs! I put them on all 4 corners of my F-250 Super Duty.

Depending on the kit you ordered, OME springs will lift the vehicle 50 - 55mm front/rear. The kit isn't designed to level your load. The kit may carry your load, but as mentioned, not a leveling component per se. The air bags are designed for load leveling. Take a hard look at BOSS Air Bags.

Also, I would encourage you to bite the bullet on load range E tires. Many folks put off the purchase to wear out the existing tires. While a load range D tire may suffice, the potential for a blow out is greatly increased. The Fleet likely weighs more than the designed load of the truck's bed. This will have a pronounced affect on LRD tires, especially on gravel roads and tracks due to fewer ply in the tire construction.

I would strongly encourage you to purchase LRE tires now. You can always Craiglist the existing tires and get some cash to help defray the cost of LRE tires.

Consider the purchase of load range E tires as inexpensive insurance!

I even replaced my factory spare with a LRE tire. You don't want to be 20 miles down a track with a blow out and a LRD spare tire to try to get out. A double blow could leave you stranded for days.

Yes, the dollars add up prepping the truck for the camper. But, best to do it right the first time.

Like the old FRAM commercial, "you can pay me now or PAY me later"!

I priced out tires today and will take the plunge this next week. I'm hoping I can sell the stock tires too. What if I don't have the cash to buy a full set of tires once my stock ones need replacing?! Might as well do it right the first time! :D

hoyden said:
I priced out tires today and will take the plunge this next week. I'm hoping I can sell the stock tires too. What if I don't have the cash to buy a full set of tires once my stock ones need replacing?! Might as well do it right the first time! :D
Good decision!

One you will likely never think about once you start rolling down the road with your new Fleet...which is a good thing!

Advmoto18 said:
Good decision!

One you will likely never think about once you start rolling down the road with your new Fleet...which is a good thing!
:-D

That was one of the things I thought about - I really don't want to be traveling with my camper somewhere and worrying about my tires.

Stalking Light said:
I sold my stock tires on Craigslist and they went pretty quickly, mine only had a few hundred miles on them.
Okay, cool. I have about 10k on mine but still in good shape. It'd be nice to make at least a little cash back for my new-tire-fund.

Good decision, you'll have no problem unloading the stock tires on CL. When I picked up my Eagle I had the Tacoma TSB (extra leaf) springs and Ride-Rite Airbags, which worked fine. If you decide to go with the airbags get the Daystar Cradles with them.

New shoes!
Now I just need my Fleet! :D

IMAG6940.jpg

I think I now need a step-stool in order to get into my truck. I'm short and even the stock height had me pulling myself in some, but now with suspension and taller tires... I'm looking at my extension ladder and considering....

Back
Top Bottom