Kamp-Rite Oversized Tent-Cot vs Cabelas' Tent-Cot

Fitwon

Advanced Member
I am thinking about buying a Kamp-Rite DTC443 Oversize tent-cot which measures 32" wide x 90" Long. I understand that the Cabelas model is built by Kamp-Rite for about a hundred bucks more than the Kamp-Rite. Anyone have any knowledge about this cot? Why buy the Cabelas? or why buy the Kamp-Rite? Both have four legs and weigh the same hwy weight. This cot would be used for truck camping.
What say you?

I've been using Tent-Cot's pretty much as my only tent for several years. I love them. Not super high end but good enough and a great design.
http://www.tentcot.com/1.htm

Do yourself a favor and pass on the trifold design and go for the collapsable series. These fold up about the size of a bag chair. When these 1st came out I bought one of the standard sized originals(collapsable). I used this for a good while and went to the oversized when they came out. Still have both.

Tent-Cots changed river camping for me forever. The Potomac river has many beaches and gravel bars that are just too rough for an old man to sleep on the ground. Even with a good pad. The tent-Cot sets up anywhere.

Instead of getting up early on Saturdays and driving an hour and a 1/2 to fish. We now regularly head to the river on Friday afternoon. Set up the Tent-Cots on an island and fish all afternoon. Come back in the evening and have a fire, dinner, and an adult beverage. Good nights sleep and in the am just shove off the island and we are fishing.

Original Tent-Cot Collapsable without the rain fly on it.

Top is bag chair bottom is Tent-Cot. Fit's in my solo canoe just fine or the bass boat.

Island camp with 2 oversized TCC. The one on the right has fly on. The one on the left does not.

There is a lot to like about these. The Collapsable series the tent and the cot are seperate and can be used each alone or the tent zips on the cot to make the TC. I have used just the cots in large tents several times.

The hot ticket for either sized is a 3.5" self inflating sleeping pad. I have the REI brand. The regular fits the standard TC and the XL fits the oversized perfectly. With this and a nice rectangular bag I have slept out in high winds and sub freezing temps quite snug and warm. Cold air under the cot is a non issue with a pad.
http://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

FYI: on the tri fold style pretty sure the Cabela's is the older style model.

Thanks Squatch--you are the man!! I learned from your experience. I think you are right about the Cabelas design being based on an older model. Thanks for including your photos.

I noticed that some over sized tent cots have the clips on top attaching to the poles (like your over sized cot on the left) while other over sized cots have cloth sleeves that the poles pass through. Is this a model year thing too, or a design spec for some company? Is there an advantage to the clips or to the sleeves? What do you think?

There are 50 lakes within 50 miles of my chalet. So if you ever want to explore Central Oregon let me know. I am sure that the local Big Foot would welcome a man called Squatch.

I think the difference you are seeing is the style of TC. There is the original design that folds in 3 pieces like a chaise lounge. I think these have the pole sleeves. That's also the style Cabela's sells.

The collapsable series which I have is much different. The cots fold up triangulated like those cheap bag chairs everyone has. Much less bulky design. The tent part is a self contained mini dome tent with a floor and clip style pole attachments. The tent zips onto the cot down each side. This style also has an included rainfly. In one of the pics above one has the poles showing and the other has the rain fly on.

Thanks for the invitaion.

Thanks Squatch. I now understand the collapsable series. I have a small brain here--must be the elevation.

I did notice that several ads do not list the rain fly as included in the price/order.

If you look at the over-sized Tent-cot advertised by Target, it shows clearly the same newer style but has the pole sleeves instead of all the clips.

Do you think that all the over-sized series with four legs instead of three are collapsable?

Best to you Squatch.

I think those are old pics of the tri fold style.
Go to this site. http://kamprite.com/
Click shop, tents, off the ground tents, The click either tri fold or collapsable. That should make it clearer.

I think they call the trifold style oversized while the collapsable is the compact XL. I feel the collapsables are easier to carry and store. The trifolds probably have a little more interior space because of the wider roof style.

Collapsable has 3 pairs of triangulated legs. Trifold has 4 U shaped legs.

Bear in mind these are just sleeping space. Room for a sleeping bag and maybe your day pack inside.
My standard sized in the basement.

From inside sorta.

The XL on the porch with rain fly installed. The XL is about 6" bigger in both directions. I sleep fine in the little one but the XL is better if you get stuck in it in the rain.

Here is a good price on the CTC XL. These come with the rain fly. I'm not sure about the trifold style. It might be extra.
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Kamprite-CTC-XL-Three-in-One-Sleeping-Shelter/7683797/product.html

All models fold up. It's how they fold and how much space they take up in the car or truck for me. I think either would be fine except for me I need mine to get small to fit in a canoe.

Thanks Squatch!

You have given excellent clarity to an unclear subject. I now know what is necessary for a wise purchase. It comes down to truck and boat space for me. I may go with the ExL Folding 32 x 90 so I will have room for my dog and me (or am I just dreaming?) I will make my purchase after Christmas. I bet a significant number of Wander the West readers will learn from your presentation here. I owe you!

Best to you Squatch

Back
Top Bottom