Kayak ?????????

kayak power

Might as well ad my 2 cents worth!
We have had a lot of different kayaks over the years,and being the type of person i am i have also toyed with elect and gas power for our yaks.Before we got our hobie mirage tandem (this is a dual power yak, Paddle or pedal or both at the same time)The first set up i used was on a aire tandem inflatable (high end river/lake yak) made a saddle mount that strapped to yak and held elect trolling motor and 12v batt, quit using this as it was a pain to carry heavy batt back and forth to water from most of our camp sites,also the charge time is never as long as most claim (kind of like gas mileage claims!)My second set up which i still have but do not use any more, again to much trouble is a old sears 1.2 gamefisher 2 stroke outboard which weighs about 10 pounds,this just happens to fit in the slot that is used for the pedal system in the hobie yak,works great as the yak has a rudder to use for steering so motor does not have to be used for steering.
Above being said we have quit using both systems as we have found the hassle is not worth the work,and since we both like to stay in shape the pedal/paddle is what we use and also it is the best ever for trolling when fishing!
Still it looks like a neat set up for some one who is into toys!(one of my problems!)
Ialso played with gas power on our railbikes but that is another story!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Les,
I spent a bit more time researching SOT's and the Hobie with Mirage Drive is definetly the hot ticket. Of the Oasis and Outfitter which do you prefer and why? Thanks for your input. I might have to bite the bullet and spend the big bux.

Tommy,
My PC crashed a couple of months ago and I lost tons of stuff including all my FWC pix. I also lost your (and evryone elses) phone number and email address. Would you mind sending me a personal message with that info and I'll call you about the Yak.
Thanks.

Kayak power!!

Jay, glad you saw the light!.I'm not up on the new models,but it seems like they have added features that were not on ours (rod holders,seems like ready for sail kit ,added hatches etc.)
I would suggest hitting the san diego area the dealers all let you try them out or credit you with rental price if you buy.You really need to try before buy!We ended up buying a demo Typical blems etc saved $500 over new.Also if you do get one pick up the over size sails(sails are the rubber fins on the drive system,not wind sails!)Faster speed same effort!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Les, the Oasis is 14.5 ft and the Outfitter about 12.5. I'm sure as in all boats water line = speed but the larger boat is a bit heavier. What length is your Hobie?

Long!

Jay Length is 14'4" bow to rudder (which is not removable) I have not had any problem with length,but then we have always had ocean yaks which are long anyway.Of course at this stage of life they all seem heavy,but have learned how to load/unload without causing damage (to Me!).I made a cradle using old set of launch wheels that i had for my zodiac to use when the beach is to far to drag yak to water,also with this set up it can be hooked to dual sport to haul it from camp to launch if we are camped out a bit.
If you look at some of my old posts you will see that we trailer on two different trailers,closed in trailer roof mounted no problem,open off road trailer i made the tongue adjustable so when yak is aboard there is room for tight turns.When loading on fwc i use a roller on end rack make it easy to load,as my rack is mounted to the left for yak i do not raise roof with yak on top just does not feel stable enough would worry in a windy condition.
But i have no problem using trailer as it allows us to carry more crap (or is it toys?).Have been using trailer for many trips including Baja never has it kept us from going where we want to,but then again we drive slow and enjoy
"its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Les,
I just revisited the thread you are speaking of. That looks like how I loaded my old Ocean Yaks on the SnugTop shell. It works very well. Thanks for your expertise.

Back
Top Bottom