Keep an eye out missing couple 395 Dyer area

I've more than occasionally reflected on if it is easier to know something like that is coming or to have it be a total surprise. The suggestion made is that when you know it's coming that you have time to prepare yourself. Hogwash! You're still not ready when it happens. There is no good answer, it all is painful, as it should be.

My condolences as well.

It looks like the coordinates for the locations were correct. I appreciated how respectful this group was during the recovery of the vehicles. I hope - it was not stated - they picked up and returned all the personal items left around the vehicles. The question that remains unanswered - gps problems aside - is why were they on the west side of Silver Peak Range? Why and where did they turn off of 95?

Mike Patey's account of the vehicle recovery below.

Also- Bev is back home in Indianapolis. And Ronnie's funeral will be on Thursday (according to recent posts in Travis' blog)

The search for Ronnie and Beverly Barker and the tragic, sad outcome all reminded me of the case of the "Death Valley Germans" from back in 1996. Last night, I got started reading (for the second time) Tom Mahood's blog posts about the initial discovery of their abandoned rental van found some13 years after the German family vanished with a last known location in DVNP, and the resulting official and volunteer searches for remains which went on for about 2 years after the official searches found no sign of the family of 4. Thus between reading Mahood's lengthy narrative and studying his topos with GPS tracks and the official DVNP brochure map, I've sunk another 2 or 3 hours in a full review of the incident, at least from Mahood's perspective. For infrequent desert / remote area travelers like me, it's a good exercise in application of caution and worst case scenario skepticism.

Foy

Edit: I suppose Big Brother realized I was Googling "Death Valley Germans" and related searches for Tom Mahood's blog postings, as when I dialed up YouTube this afternoon I see none other than "Wonderhussy" doing a video she shot 3 years ago from the Butte Valley and the Geologist's Cabin/Warm Springs Cabin areas. I'll be the first to say that Wonderhussy is something of an acquired taste, but I think she does a good job of telling a story, even if her delivery can be a bit odd sometimes. Bottom line is I think she genuinely cares about the desert landscapes advocates preparation and caution for those wanting to explore out there and she told the story of the Death Valley Germans compassionately. She credited Tom Mahood's blog writings as source material several times and that was appropriate. She also had some good footage of the Warm Springs Canyon Rd, the Geologist's Cabin, and the Anvil Springs Canyon road. She apparently did not venture the many miles south cross-country to where the remains of some of the family were found, but she did around the same time do a separate video of her hike to the summit of Striped Butte, and that is pretty cool in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom