Keeping critters from getting in the sliding access panel

kmcintyre

Ok, so after quite a few years, a mouse got into the camper (we were bad and left some food out) via one of the access panels. It's the panel where the electrical comes into the camper (for battery charging, etc.).

What do people do to prevent this? You can't close the panel completely due to the thick guage wire you use to keep the camper battery charged.

I could see cutting a notch into the panel for the wiring and then trying to "seal" it with something like duct tape but not sure the critters wouldn't chew through that. If the cut was tight enough that might work but.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,On our Bobcat the wires come through the "plywood" of the camper not the thin sliding door.
I guess the main thing is not to keep food there.
I use those spaces for storing lots of things but I try not to place things that would attract animals.
On a trip few years ago I watched a squirrel sneak up the left rear side and try to get into the outside of the camper through the space
between the bed rail and camper overhang.
I have about a 3" gap there so I filled it with the "foam tubing" that goes on water pipes.I know that if they want it will be chewed through,but so far no problems.Plus it fills that gap and helps to keep out dust and rain.
Frank

Use "large"sized foam pipe insulation..I found out that the hard way...I wedged in the round foam pipe insulating tubes only to have them blow out at Hwy speeds...back to the drawing board and will try larger tubes..

Idea was to keep the cold air from circulating between the truck bed ['05 Tundra] and outside of the '16 Hawk while camping in cold and often windy areas...effort to insulate through creation of a 'dead air space'.

I also store towing/recovery gear outside of the camper turnbuckle access doors in the truck bed. Seldom used gear that is unaffected by moisture.

Our Hawk to my knowledge does not have any external access points where rodents could enter the camper. All vents are screened.

Phil

Rusty said:
rats like to chew on foam insulation...maybe it resembles "juicy fruit"....I don't know

Thanks for that...I assume mice do also..I shoot rats, mice are harder to hit...

Wallowa said:
Use "large"sized foam pipe insulation..I found out that the hard way...I wedged in the round foam pipe insulating tubes only to have them blow out at Hwy speeds...back to the drawing board and will try larger tubes..

Idea was to keep the cold air from circulating between the truck bed ['05 Tundra] and outside of the '16 Hawk while camping in cold and often windy areas...effort to insulate through creation of a 'dead air space'.

I also store towing/recovery gear outside of the camper turnbuckle access doors in the truck bed. Seldom used gear that is unaffected by moisture.

Our Hawk to my knowledge does not have any external access points where rodents could enter the camper. All vents are screened.

Phil
I didn't mention that I hold the foam insulation in place with small "eye"screws and small "plastic tie straps".
Holds the foam in the space even at high speeds.
I know the critters can chew through,but don't give them any "smells" to attract them.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I didn't mention that I hold the foam insulation in place with small "eye"screws and small "plastic tie straps".
Holds the foam in the space even at high speeds.
I know the critters can chew through,but don't give them any "smells" to attract them.
Frank

Frank..can't visualize how you attach foam...I must say in advance that I am very hesitant to screw anything into the skin or outside of my Hawk...worst case I can put a strip of Velcro along the bed rail to hold in the foam..

Thanks..Phil

This is what it looks like.
I used very small "screw eyes" ,maybe 1/8", the size/kind used for picture frame hanging.
They are screwed into the underside,plywood area of the camper.
Only go into the wood maybe 1/4". Then plastic ties,through the eyes then around the foam.
Very simple operation and no damage to the camper. There are 4 on a side.
The rear end also has foam, 6" or so but that has a piece of 1/2"PVC inside the foam,with an elbow and a short piece to attach into the side piece.
Frank

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

Might try stuffing steel wool or stainless steel pot scrubbers in the potential access points. Had my kitchen remodeler say that keeps them out. He stuffed that in some problem spots where mice had entered before & so far no mice in the cabinet.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom