Keeping Hawk cool in summer

I have the 36v Makita chainsaw and I really like it. I use it for quick pruning jobs or cutting up fallen branches around the home. It's so much easier to drop 2 batteries in and start cutting. I have 4 gas chainsaws but dump the gas out when not using them to save the carbs so this saves me from having to gas them up only to use them for a few cuts. I also do some chain saw carving and it's much lighter and no fumes so it can be used in enclosed spaces, and not to mention it's very quiet.
I have the fan on my Christmas wish list!

The chainsaw is perfect for my limited use, which is trimming a few branches on a trail or cutting a few days worth of camp firewood. It is great not having to carry any gas (my truck is a diesel) unless I need it for my generator, which I rarely carry. I got the DUC356 model, it is compact enough to fit in my rear cargo box, with plenty of room to spare:

IMG-0891.jpg

To keep cool in the desert of Utah (103F+):
  1. Little screens attached with duct tape the the outside of the turnbuckle access doors, we open those and get a draft going, keeps bugs out.
  2. We have a small, cheap rechargeable fan that is way quieter than the roof mounted fantastic fan. And we can set it to a very low setting, works well with #4 below. (I absolutely HATE the sound of machinery/motors, so this is great)
  3. Use the FWC awning to shade the refrigerator, even if I have to park at a trailhead, open it about 2 feet and just leave it (any more would be tricky as it gets very windy in the desert)
  4. Park under the shade of a tree.
  5. Get one of two small cotton towels wet and place on your body, the evaporation cools very well.
  6. Gain elevation to get to more trees and lower temps.
  7. Take camp chair to nearby stream, put in chair in stream, attach small shade umbrella to shade sun, put feet in water
  8. Most redrock sandstone canyons have shady spots that stay cool, even if nearby sunny places are wicked hot.
  9. If in emergency, place cold beers on skin and into pie hole. (must have cooler fun of icy beers)
Happy Thanksgiving all you turkeys!

Back
Top Bottom