Kidde fire extinguisher recall

I had success on the website ... I have four (of seven!) in the cabin, truck, wood shop, and camper. all were recall. The ones in the house are the big steel ones by another company ( we have 3 wood stoves ...2 in house and one in the wood shop)... like to be prepared ...we also have available the 'flares' that smother a chimney fire.

Seems like most of the newer FWC's may have the affected units. Not all owners are as lucky as us to be on this site... FWC should send a letter to all newer owners that are first purchase owners anyway.

Thanks to the original post’er for this information. Will check mine today. The comment on the fire retardant (yellow stuff) clumping and be coming a mass is accurate. I have watched companies recertification of our extinguisher’s. They routinely smack the bottom of each extinguisher to break up the product inside.

Russ

I received an e mail from Kidde today about the recalled fire extinguishers.
They give more info about the actual recalled products with pictures of
"affected" and "non affected" ones.
I you have one like mine it's not a recalled product.

Frank

IMG_1027.jpg

I got on the website and put in the serial numbers and all 4 of the 4 that looked like that were affected so be sure to submit the numbers and get a verification. All four of mine will be replaced (they said).

buckland said:
I got on the website and put in the serial numbers and all 4 of the 4 that looked like that were affected so be sure to submit the numbers and get a verification. All four of mine will be replaced (they said).
Rob I did that when I first posted this recall.But when they further review the affected ones,it turns out mine isn't in the recall.
You may get an e mail soon also.
It took two weeks for them tom get back to me.
I didn't think at the time that mine was actually on the recall.
The e mail to me today has photos of both the recalled and non recalled models.
The shape of the handle is the clue to the recall model.In my case the handle is curved.
The recalled ones have a straight plastic handle.
Frank

Ya I got that email too and it seems to be saying that mine now are not in the recall? I have the plastic curved handles. Darn, was hoping for some new replacements. That said they are only supplemental ones. I have the large ones with metal handles for the house. Thanks Frank.

I got the email. Both of the ones I have are the straight handles. They said they will be replaced. My FWC Hawk is a 2013 and had the straight handle.

Just got one of my extinguishers today. Came with a return shipping label and instructions to put old extinguisher in the box and to call Fed Ex for pick up. I had two and only got one. So I called and was told they are only being shipped out one to a box so may arrive on another day.

Attachments

• IMG_7094.JPG
    IMG_7094.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 91
NOTE: The new bracket is to hang the extinguisher on, it will swing in the camper. Off road it may fall off or at least bang the cabinet. I cut the strap part off the old bracket and added a hole for a screw. Looks like it will work OK. See pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_7096.JPG
    IMG_7096.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 82
I received my replacements a few days ago.

Oddly, the replacements are 6 pounders while the originals were 3.5 pounders....

FireExtinghishers.jpg

(The one from my kitchen, the one from my camper, and the two replacements)

The other thing new to me is the idea of a 12-year lifetime.... (see red text)

FireExtinguisherLabel.jpg

They both have the year 2018 embossed on the bottom of the cylinder.

They're Kidde model number FX210W and are UL rated 2-A:10-B:C.

The old cylinders were about 3 1/4 inches in diameter and the extinguisher has maximum width of 6 inches at the handle. The new ones are about 4 1/2 inches for the cylinder but with the hose and handle, maximum width is 8 inches. Height is 13 1/2".

Glad I saw this topic. Only one of mine at this house was affected but I have to check the PW van at our other place to see what's in there.

I went to the website about 3 weeks ago. Have not heard anything back... may I assume mine was not recalled?

Old Crow said:
I received my replacements a few days ago.

Oddly, the replacements are 6 pounders while the originals were 3.5 pounders....

attachicon.gif
FireExtinghishers.jpg

(The one from my kitchen, the one from my camper, and the two replacements)

The other thing new to me is the idea of a 12-year lifetime.... (see red text)

attachicon.gif
FireExtinguisherLabel.jpg

They both have the year 2018 embossed on the bottom of the cylinder.

They're Kidde model number FX210W and are UL rated 2-A:10-B:C.

The old cylinders were about 3 1/4 inches in diameter and the extinguisher has maximum width of 6 inches at the handle. The new ones are about 4 1/2 inches for the cylinder but with the hose and handle, maximum width is 8 inches. Height is 13 1/2".

I went to my local Home Depot yesterday, hoping to find a replacement the same size (and mounted the same) as the original from my camper.

I found I could buy a more-or-less direct replacement but its label says it's to be stored at less than 120 degrees F. I skipped the purchase, thinking I'd better research this a bit more. I didn't know, for instance, if my old one had that same limitation (turns out it does).

This morning I found Kidde's explanation on storage in higher temperatures. It tells us the extinguisher will operate above 120 degrees but will not spray for quite as long. They are required to withstand 175 degrees without rupture. Temperatures above 120 can affect the seals and will shorten the life of the fire extinguisher.

Reading the label has made me realize I should be checking and turning my fire extinguishers more often, particularly the one in the camper since it is exposed to higher temperatures and to more rapid settling of the dry powder in the extinguisher.

I received my replacement today, just over a month from when I did the on-line request. It fit properly into the existing bracket in my camper, so I was luckier than some folks who have had to change mounts.

I've now gotten all 5 of my replacements. They all came with a return shipping label.

Just remove the new fire extinguisher.

Place the old one back in the inner box.

Place that back in the shipping carton and tape closed.

Add the new label.

Call Fed Ex for a pickup.

I give them credit they went about this the right way and made it easy for us.

Back
Top Bottom