Klamath Falls & Crater Lake

LT Traveler

So we're planning to head up 395 from Reno to Klamath Falls & Crater Lake for the Memorial Day weekend. I just hung up with a NPS ranger at Crater Lake and got the skinny on snow and what's open and what not within the park. Obviously snow but with some snowshoes tons of exploring to do and great views of the lake to be had. Due to the snow cover too the dog can run around at will as long as we're on snow and away from the busier parts.

The ranger said there will be much less snow as soon as you leave the park and none if you head east. Prairie/grass land; should be nice right now right?

So my questions are:
1) any must see/do spots in the area?
2) Any good camping recs? Prefer to keep it primitive and free.
3) anything else we need to consider?

Thanks crew, looking forward to the trip, it's an area we've never been and it's my b-day weekend.

From 395, if you take 139 to cut over to Klamath Falls, you'll pass right by a really neat park, Lava Beds National Monument. I visited there in January, had a good time. It's not a destination unto itself (IMHO) but a super-awesome layover and should not be driven past and ignored (again, IMHO).

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4387/page__p__47727__fromsearch__1&#entry47727

I agree on Lava Beds, was there a couple of weeks ago. As an FYI, many of the caves were closed due to the bats hibernating and to protect them from disease. That being said the caves that were open were amazing! Nice campground as well.

There is a pretty interesting logging museum right on 97 north of Upper Klamath Lake that I think worth the stop. The campground on the opposite side is a pretty nice stay too.

A big thank you for the info being shared on this thread as we plan to do Lava Beds and the outlying area over Memorial weekend.

there is plenty of primitive camping available both west and northeast of Fort Klamath although the mosquitoes are going to be absolutely staggering that time of year.

Cort

The weather forecast for this coming weekend is not looking great for the area. Trying to decide if we just go for it regardless, stay home and save money or try to come up with a last minute alternative. Wish a three day weekend allowed us to go to the coast easier. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom