ladder or step?

ottorogers

Ladder weighs 30 LBS, steel step with extension weighs at least 70LBS, step is better in all ways except 3, it stays on the ground and gets dirty, it can also damage the inside of the camper when in storage during travelling, and it has to be moved inside and outside all the time (PAIN IN THE ASS), the step has only one downside, and it is a big one, it is very heavy, I wished I could find an extension (to the receiver hitch) made of aluminium. What to do, anybody have better ideas, I am all open to advise. We are going to be travelling for 5 months soon, and the extra weight worries me. I do not like the scissor steps, they fold up weird and bulky (or am I wrong on this?)

I am trying to post photos but it does not work, why is this site so difficult to navigate, I was in the computer business for 20 years, for the life of me I can not figure out how to post photos, I attach them but they don't end up in my post.

ottorogers said:
I did all what is explained, no photos show up at all in my posts, I have had this issue for a year or more now, I try to attach photos but for some reason they never actually "attach". it is extremely rusterating, Facebook is a no brainer, so easy
I would suspect that your resolution is too high on your photos. I had the same problem and never was able to resolve it so it would work which is why there are no photos in my posts. My photos work fine on other forums.

I made a step just using a drop hitch, a chunk of 2x4 and a big nut/bolt.

Stored
full

Deployed
full

The dirt/heavy object stays outside the camper when not in use, the step is perfect when deployed.

ottorogers said:
I did all what is explained, no photos show up at all in my posts, I have had this issue for a year or more now, I try to attach photos but for some reason they never actually "attach". it is extremely rusterating, Facebook is a no brainer, so easy
I think they have to be under one half megabyte. I downloaded and used this freeware image resizer program. It is fast and easy.
https://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/

I bought a drop hitch at harbor freight.
Had a piece of aluminum diamond plate laying around.
Went to a local bender to make it fit.
About $50 total, wieghs 17#.

Attachments

• 3FAC38A0-8B25-4644-85A6-54D22BD2831F.jpeg
    3FAC38A0-8B25-4644-85A6-54D22BD2831F.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 80F716E2-67EA-427A-BBF5-BDB360F34790.jpeg
    80F716E2-67EA-427A-BBF5-BDB360F34790.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 165
In my first standard slide-in FWC Hawk (with the rear entry) the Brophy scissor steps worked wonderfully when i got inventive and installed them permanently. I too would hate having to dismount and reinstall them every time I wanted into the camper. Here they are deployed. If you look closely you'll see stainless steel eyebolts through bolted into the frame that held the complete assembly collapsed in travel with the cables that are on the ground. Worked like a charm. (Doesn't work on my side entry flatbed Grandby model so I modified a Little Giant all aluminum ladder that weighs 4 or 5#. Sorry, no photo.)

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:21684]

I'll be the contrarian again and show some love for a ladder; specifically a step ladder, if that is what the OP meant.

We've found it handy to have a step ladder around camp for things like hanging a clothesline, trimming branches or an impromptu table. With our older FWC I use our step ladder for reaching the window storm flaps when the top is up (as we know, camper builds have changed some over the years). But for anyone with a truck and camper a step ladder can useful for cleaning, snow removal etc

We have a good spot to carry ours. But nothing saying it couldn't be carried in the cab (custom storage) or on the back of the camper (in bag if desired).

Again, odd man here, but I see the biggest downside to some of the receiver steps I've seen posted is reduced angle of departure. i just don't see how some of them wouldn't drag thru water bars or ditches with me. I suppose it depends where you travel. Plus the increased risk of backing into things generally (logs, parked cars) would bother me.

If the owner is removing the receiver step for driving, seems to me the storage issue would remain.

Now, if I was in the OP's situation, with a long overhang past the bumper. I'd think about replacing the lowered tailgate with something that allowed for a wrap around plate that could swing down to be a mini platform/porch and be the last "step" into the camper. This would also reduce the height needed for a ladder. Might even be able to attach the folder ladder to the plate.

Or if the camper was supported by 2x4s or similar, there could be a space under the camper for a pull out ladder. I think someone on here did something like that with their flatbed. XP Camper has something like that also. Or see any moving truck.

Point is I'd look at the overhang as an opportunity to better address ingress, egress without the downsides of the usual solutions.

my .02

Brophy on my old Ranger...

20070609010.jpg

Little Giant Safety Step Stepladder Type 1A, with the new truck/camper for more height.

20170612_175312-L.jpg

Both worked well but with the higher truck bed on the newer Tundra we wanted a taller ladder.

In both cases I remove the ladder and place it on the carpet on the floor of the camper just inside the door.

I've seen pictures of the Little Giant ladder hung on the back of the camper and several modified versions

I built my own step out of sq tube. I had a short ladder buy I park many places that are not level. The receiver step is always in the same spot when I step out of the camper.

Sorry, the best picture I could find on my blog. Click the pic and it will get BIG. I made the top step same height as the bumper cut out.

IMG_2465.jpg

X2 on the 3 step Little Giant. Bulky & heavier than ideal, but extremely stable with ample step surface. It will no doubt be used for bed assist some years ahead. Last in folded on floor, first out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U7FSSQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I will need a 10" extension to bring this out to the folded down tailgate, myGrandby is in a 6.6 bed tundra truck, I do not want anything touching the ground (call me OCD), plus I do not want to bring the ladder in and out all the time, last time we did this we damaged the inside of the camper, it was a real pain in the ass constantly bringing the ladder in and out

Back
Top Bottom