Las Vegas to Phoenix then Phoenix to Fredericksburg, Tx

Durango

We will pick up our new All Terrain Camper in Las Vegas during the first week in March 2011. We will drive from Vegas to Fredericksburg, Tx via Phoenix. We are looking for camping ideas along this route particularly between Vegas and Phoenix. Thanks

Hi Durango. Welcome to the site and congrats on the new camper! I haven't camped much on the route you are describing but I did camp once in the old mining town of Chloride in northern Arizona. Its worth the couple miles off the highway to see. We camped above town in the mine dumps (were in a pinch for a spot late in the day). Probably wouldn't recommend that but the owner of the store there said we could have camped right in his parking lot if we wanted to.

Anyway I'm sure someone with some more helpful suggestions will post up shortly :)

Congratulations on the new camper. You might consider camping near Wickiup, AZ on Hiway 93 between Kingman and Wickenburg. About 7 miles past Wickiup, you can turn right on the Signal Road and head down into the Big Sandy River and the old mining camp of Signal for some Sonoran desert camping. On the other side of the hiway is the Burro Creek Crossing Road which is a 14 mile road down into Burro Creek. Both roads are okay for 2wd vehicles in good weather and there are many primitive sites on both sides. March is usually great weather for camping with warm days and cool nights.

I went into both areas early in December and posted a report.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4115/

Congratulations on the new camper. You might consider camping near Wickiup, AZ on Hiway 93 between Kingman and Wickenburg. About 7 miles past Wickiup, you can turn right on the Signal Road and head down into the Big Sandy River and the old mining camp of Signal for some Sonoran desert camping. On the other side of the hiway is the Burro Creek Crossing Road which is a 14 mile road down into Burro Creek. Both roads are okay for 2wd vehicles in good weather and there are many primitive sites on both sides. March is usually great weather for camping with warm days and cool nights.

I went into both areas early in December and posted a report.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4115/

those look like great choices. We can't wait to see what others pop up on this forum.

I just returned from a quick trip to Phoenix. Stayed at the Oak Flat CG just off US 60 East of the Phoenix area, there are some backcountry areas but we just stayed in the CG, no fee, nothing fancy but nice sunsets
1139887860_zBPqm-M.jpg

Further East of there US60 turns to US70 heading East, stay away from I10, trust me this is a better route :LOL:
There is camping near Globe but we opted to head towards the Black Hills Backcountry Byway http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/autotour/black_hills.html
We stayed at the campground, one other person there at the other end. The South end of the Byway is around 8 miles North of US70 off 191. If you go in there there is a good spot for a camp about 3 miles in on the right by an interpretive site, just a nice big spot 100' off the road with nice views. We didn't know about this and it was getting late so I opted to head in from the North end knowing that there is a CG about 5 miles in. Decent sites, I don't think any water but a covered picnic table and a primitive toilet. The CG is right above the Gila River and in the Spring the Cottonwoods should be out and very pretty.
Here is the scene at the CG
1139889108_QfC93-M.jpg

Pretty good sunsets here as well
1139888798_jy4ao-M.jpg

The road is near 21 miles and shouldn't require any FWD unless there is a lot of rain, great views, nice picnic spots, some places would be tight for passing someone coming the other way.
1139889722_bnp2Q-M.jpg

1139890625_bstPz-M.jpg

This is a very nice and easy tour of the desert transitioning from Sonoran to Chihuahuan.

Are you familiar with some of the TX options? I can point out some areas here in S. NM and on the way to Fredricksburg. Balmorhea, Fort Davis, Amistad.

I just returned from a quick trip to Phoenix. Stayed at the Oak Flat CG just off US 60 East of the Phoenix area, there are some backcountry areas but we just stayed in the CG, no fee, nothing fancy but nice sunsets
1139887860_zBPqm-M.jpg

Further East of there US60 turns to US70 heading East, stay away from I10, trust me this is a better route :LOL:
There is camping near Globe but we opted to head towards the Black Hills Backcountry Byway http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/autotour/black_hills.html
We stayed at the campground, one other person there at the other end. The South end of the Byway is around 8 miles North of US70 off 191. If you go in there there is a good spot for a camp about 3 miles in on the right by an interpretive site, just a nice big spot 100' off the road with nice views. We didn't know about this and it was getting late so I opted to head in from the North end knowing that there is a CG about 5 miles in. Decent sites, I don't think any water but a covered picnic table and a primitive toilet. The CG is right above the Gila River and in the Spring the Cottonwoods should be out and very pretty.
Here is the scene at the CG
1139889108_QfC93-M.jpg

Pretty good sunsets here as well
1139888798_jy4ao-M.jpg

The road is near 21 miles and shouldn't require any FWD unless there is a lot of rain, great views, nice picnic spots, some places would be tight for passing someone coming the other way.
1139889722_bnp2Q-M.jpg

1139890625_bstPz-M.jpg

This is a very nice and easy tour of the desert transitioning from Sonoran to Chihuahuan.

Are you familiar with some of the TX options? I can point out some areas here in S. NM and on the way to Fredricksburg. Balmorhea, Fort Davis, Amistad.

We think Big Bend might be nice but, otherwise, we are not familiar with TX options and would love to hear about your suggestions in S. NM. Thanks so much for your help and interest.

We think Big Bend might be nice but, otherwise, we are not familiar with TX options and would love to hear about your suggestions in S. NM. Thanks so much for your help and interest.

Well Big Bend is great, plans on heading there in a few weeks myself. I guess it depends on how much time you have. In New Mexico one recommended road is NM78 which goes East off 191 near the Black Hills Byway. It runs up into the Gila Mountains and connects to Silver City, NM. Best road East from there would be NM 152 over the Black Range and Emory Pass with a must breakfast or lunch stop at the General Store/Cafe in Hillsboro, you'll love it! There are FS campsites along this ride that rise up over 8000'. From there I'd recommend NM27 also called the Lake Valley Back Country Byway. It is pretty, rather remote, and there is a nice little museum in the ghost town of Lake Valley. From there you pretty much have to head to I25 and to Las Cruces where I am. Always a spot to park here and I am next to thousands of acres of federal open land. From Las Cruces there are really only a coupleof options heading East. One would be to take US70 across White Sands, into and over the Sacramento Mtns through Cloudcroft but watch out there are other Wander the West types living up that way! Also places to camp but it might still be wintery up there. From there you could head towards Carlsbad or Gaudalupe NP. The other way East is to just take I10 to Van Horn then pick up US90 towards Alpine and the Big Bend area. Watch for Prada! :LOL: really.. If you do opt for Big Bend perhaps head to Presidio so you can drive FM170 along the river. There are lots of camping options at Big Bend Ranch State Park and of course Big Bend NP. After that I don't know much, there is a nice campground on Amistad Lake, Balmorhea State Park is a giant spring in the desert that is an overnight stop with a giant spring fed pool that is open all year.

Barko's ideas are solid!

The main thing is to stay off interstate 10 in NM:). If you decide to head through the Sacramentos, let me know so I can give you a weather update. Also consider stopping in the Capitan Mountains, and check out the little town of Lincoln (Billy the Kid country). My guess is camping will be okay in March in both the Gila and the Sacramentos, if a bit cold. Probably a little warmer in the Guadalupes (but always windy, it seems). I can offer you a driveway, too, but it's not very level.

Although this would be a bit out of your way-
If you like rocks and the worlds biggest swap meet, Quartzite is booming right now.
Also, if you like hot springs with camping, along I 10 west of Phoenix in Tonopah is this: http://www.el-dorado.com/

Although this would be a bit out of your way-
If you like rocks and the worlds biggest swap meet, Quartzite is booming right now.
Also, if you like hot springs with camping, along I 10 west of Phoenix in Tonopah is this: http://www.el-dorado.com/

thank you one and all for all this information - we appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom