Lassen in the Winter

Looking forward to the full trip report too. We used to ski there each spring when we lived in Reno but it has been a long time since our last trip. Given ski3pin's photo and writing skills, this is going to be some fun reading.

TR enjoyed, as always, Ski.

I was looking at Lassen poking up while we were out birding near Oroville last weekend. If I would have gotten out my telescope I might have seen you! You caught some nice spring conditions.

I too love the Lassen Area; thanks for the report and skiing photos, 3pin.

On question, is that parking lot and Visitors' Center the one at the south end of the Park where the old Alpine ski resort used to be?

Here is a photo of our camp at Lake Helen back in the day. It was more winter than spring that morning and no camper or Ted grilling to return to that evening. :(

Classic equipment there Stew! The Visitor Center and parking lot is at the south end, the end of plowing on highway 89. We remember the old ski area and lodge very well. The lifts were all been removed years ago. Five years ago the old lodge was removed and the new visitors center was built in its place.

I think the ski area was still operating when that photo was taken but was closed shortly there after. I believe Norm Saylor moved those lifts to the Donner Ski Ranch at some point, or were those lifts from Mt Shasta, or both?

Anyway, they have replaced that old chalet-style ski lodge with a new, fancy, stone visitors' center, eh? Seems like pretty plus accommodations with the pop-ups only a quick walk the heated bathrooms!

Nice one again, Ski--and in my back yard too. I don't go there that much though because of the usual dog thing, but have allot of friends that do. The local historian here, Tim Purdy, has been doing allot of work with the Park Service there to put some historic stuff together. Anyway, still a nice place to look at, thanks for the photos.-!

Smoke

Mrs. Spider (in the story) told us, as we were skiing, about her grandfather seeing the first eruption as he was out plowing his field. He also remembered Ishi. Lots of neat history all around us. Mr. Smoke, we thought of you when we saw Suzieville on the road sign. We traveled 89 back to home so turned south at Chester.

All, thanks for the very kind comments.

Very nice Trip Report ski3pin. Those were excellent conditions for February - looked more like April/May. Good call by you and the Lady to go there.

Mrs. Spider (in the story) told us, as we were skiing, about her grandfather seeing the first eruption as he was out plowing his field.

That must have been quite a sight,and a scary time.Not sure I would have wanted to be around that mountain when it blew out it's northern side.
Thanks Frank

Looks like good times. The lamb chops look tasty! We have to find some camp mates that will cook for us. :)

Thanks for the report!

Back
Top Bottom