Last Minute Labor Day

home skillet

Hey everyone!

I am thinking about a last minute 4 day trip somewhere in southern Oregon over Labor Day Weekend. MarkBC is interested and we will be talking more over the next few days about possible loops and routes to take. We could potentially taylor this to include any of our WTW friends if there is any interest. Some possible options would be:

1. Part of Route 5 of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route.
2. Part of Route 3 of the OBCDR (although with the snow just coming off this may be pretty wet and tough).
3. A Loop through the Sycan/Willimason Rivers area.
4. Possibly a shot through the Warner Mountains.
5. Lassen National Forest Somewhere?

Anyway, jump on this thread if you are interested and we can talk. Should be able to get away from the holiday crowds without too much difficulty.

Home Skillet

HS -
Even though I'm already in on this, I have to ask: What are the sections/Routes of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route?
huh.gif

I've seen the roadside signs once in a while, but I don't know where Route 5 or Route 3 are? I know I could find it with a web search, but maybe you could provide a link/map?
- Mark

HS -
Even though I'm already in on this, I have to ask: What are the sections/Routes of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route?
huh.gif

I've seen the roadside signs once in a while, but I don't know where Route 5 or Route 3 are? I know I could find it with a web search, but maybe you could provide a link/map?
- Mark

Ya, its kinda funny how little known this is. I think the motorcycle crowd is really into it (expedition bikes). I've never tried a section before, but am verrrry curious. Here is the link:

OBCDR

Home Skillet

we'll be out in the southeast the whole week. no plan yet, just some sites to see. the gf and i haven't been there yet. we'd be up for a meetup.

- jw

Man!!!! I would so love to go and would if I hadn't made other plans and paid for my campground. My Dual Sport club is doing a campout/ride over Labor Day near Cascade Idaho.

We are headed to Yellowstone and won't be able to join you. But if you make it as far as Lassen NF, I can recommend a couple of spots for you. Crater Lake a little east of Highway 44 between Old Station and Susanville is Crater Lake. An actual campground with decent fishing. Echo Lake a liitle north of Chester is really pretty and has dispersed camping. No idea about the fishing there. The Susan River below Silver Lake has some nice boondock sites. And I'm sure you know Hat Creek has highly rated fishing.

Happy camping and tight lines. :)

We're interested, but very limited in time duration. Our LD weekend doesn't start until Sat AM. We could get up to the Warner Mtns (five hours for us) by Sat evening. From there we might head farther north or east. Our jobs call us back on Tuesday :(

we'll be out in the southeast the whole week. no plan yet, just some sites to see. the gf and i haven't been there yet. we'd be up for a meetup.

- jw

OK, MarkBC and I are meeting tomorrow to talk about options. It sounds like lighthawk may be able to meet up in the Warner Mountains on Saturday.

Any interest in that area?

Home Skillet

We're interested, but very limited in time duration. Our LD weekend doesn't start until Sat AM. We could get up to the Warner Mtns (five hours for us) by Sat evening. From there we might head farther north or east. Our jobs call us back on Tuesday :(

The Warners May work out well for us. I will let you know what MarkBC and I decide, it would be nice to meet you guys. I'll PM you tomorrow night (Monday).

Home Skillet

The Warners May work out well for us. I will let you know what MarkBC and I decide, it would be nice to meet you guys. I'll PM you tomorrow night (Monday).

I'd be in favor of this, especially if the trip includes the northern Warners -- the part north of Highway 140 in Oregon, which includes the spectacular Abert Rim as well as big views from Drake Peak, both points which are drivable destinations.
About a month ago I did a 3-day trip in the Warners from Highway 140 south to Fort Bidwell...but that leaves plenty of fresh-to-me area both south and north of that stretch.

I, too, would like to meet the Lighthawks and anyone else.
smile.gif

OK everyone it's official. MarkBC and I will be in the Warner Mountains from Thursday night through Tuesday morning (at least that's when I can be there, Mark may be able to stay longer since he is retired and all).

Mark and I plan to spend time in the Northern section north of Hwy 140 Friday and most of Saturday and then we can be available to meet up with JW or lighthawk in Lakeview or Alturas Saturday afternoon/evening. I will be PMing you guys to work out the details.

Anyone else is welcome of course. Chime in.

Home Skillet

Below is a possible route to visit during the Thursday night to Saturday morning part of the weekend. That northern track I drew goes to a spot on the cliffy part of Abert Rim where you can drive virtually to the edge. I think it's marked as a hang-glider launch on the Fremont NF map. The road continues on to the north and eventually degrades to a slow track, and in lots of other places it's a short walk to the cliff-face, but nowhere else can you drive-camp right to the edge (without extreme cross-lava driving, that is).
The other short track/leg -- heading east-ish -- goes to Drake Peak / Light Peak: a great driveable view-spot, possible camp-spot.
The track's southern end begins on Highway 140, a few miles east of Warner Summit; it's the Forest road marked for Mud Creek Campground, etc.

Of course...other than that take-off point from Highway 140, this is just a suggestion based on my previous experience in the area (not a guarantee of where we'll go)...I bet there'll be spontaneous wandering/exploring...maybe completely deviating from my suggestion.
biggrin.gif

North-Warner-Route.jpg

Wow, that actually sounds really good Mark, we will use that as a jumping off plan. I hate to see you revisit old spots, but if it is as awesome as it sounds, it is probably worth another look!

Home Skillet

I hate to see you revisit old spots, but if it is as awesome as it sounds, it is probably worth another look!

Well, I haven't been to that place on the Rim in at least 10 years, and I haven't been up Drake Peak in even longer...so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice on my part.
smile.gif
Yes, worth checking out, at least.

Well, I haven't been to that place on the Rim in at least 10 years, and I haven't been up Drake Peak in even longer...so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice on my part.
smile.gif
Yes, worth checking out, at least.

That sounds really cool! Wish we could join you for the Northern Warners, but looks like we will be able to hook up for the Southern Warners on Saturday. Sent you a PM.

That sounds really cool! Wish we could join you for the Northern Warners, but looks like we will be able to hook up for the Southern Warners on Saturday. Sent you a PM.

Sounds good, looking forward to meeting "forum friends".
smile.gif

Well, I haven't been to that place on the Rim in at least 10 years

OK, I guess it's only been 9 years since I was at that exact spot on Abert Rim I've suggested, according to the date-stamp on these photos on my website -- the last 3 at the bottom of the array:
Desert Photos

(reminds me that I need to do a major housecleaning, a refurbishing/remodel/teardown, of those old photos on my website...remove the inferior ones and re-scan the good ones at a modern resolution)

The Big Guy, who joined us on part of our recent Idaho adventure, raves about eastern Oregon. It is one of his favorite places. Making conversation as we hiked back out of Big Creek, his topic was the Abert Rim.

We will not be able to join you folks but look forward to photos and a trip report to help us prepare for a trip up there in the future.

Travel safe and have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom