LED Lights flicker

strayDog

Advanced Member
Have a 2013 Hawk, the pancake style LED lights flicker more than is comfortable. Has anyone had this problem and found a way to resolve it? Thanks ahead of time.

We have a 2014 FWC and my wife would bring to my attention that the LED light over the sink was going out as it flickered. I didn't pay much attention to it until your post. Interesting. See what others post. jd

LookyLou,
I'm not electrically minded. How and where would I check for the ground wire on the light? Not sure I could even figure how to take the light cover off. Appreciate a little guidance. Thanks, jd

Stalking Light said:
I've notice a slight flicker in one of my LEDs but only when the battery is getting low.
x2 about flickering with a low battery.

There are two wires that go into the light, black and white, either one being loose could cause flickering. My exterior position lights would randomly go out. If tapped on they would flicker or sometimes come back on. The ground wire just needed to tightened.

OK...dumb question number 65,034 for me...

Why should these LEDs need to have the wiring contacts re-tightened? Come on, can't vibration proof contacts be installed by FWC? Heck my off road motorcycle goes through one hell of a lot more banging around and the electrical contacts stay intact.

But that is just my view and as always I could be wrong...just venting. :giggle:

Phil

"Feel better?"

I will wait for an explanation of why the connectors loosen before assessing my feelings.. :D

Phil

Just like a new car or truck. A screw doesn't get tightened or something else. There is usually something that isn't right. That's what your warranty is for. That goes for our campers. Things (_ _ _ _) happens. So I guess if all I found since I picked up my camper in 2014 was a flickering light and a few staples that didn't go into the floor straight, I consider a success and we'll built camper. My 2 cents. "Don't sweat the small stuff".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Long Horn,

I get all that and believe me that I feel the FWC is a quality product; or we would not have plunked down $25K for a new Hawk...however I will never be a "kool aid" drinker and always like to know the details of any potential or realized "issues". For as it is said the "devil is in the details".

In any of my adventure pursuits I prepare for the LCD or worst case as best as I can BEFORE they occur and hence I ask a **** pot full of questions! ................ :D :D

Loose connectors are no bigee...but I still question why they seem to be fairly prevalent in the LEDs. Assuming that the low voltage or current in conjunction with a poor connection could be the source of the flickering.

Phil

longhorn1 said:
LookyLou,
I'm not electrically minded. How and where would I check for the ground wire on the light? Not sure I could even figure how to take the light cover off. Appreciate a little guidance. Thanks, jd
I have removed the frosted cover off one of my LED lights several times, without breaking it, and very little bad language after the first time. Lets see if these steps work. The cover is actually a snap-in, and the slots in the lamp base are longer than the tabs in the frosted cover that snap into them. So I slide the cover outward, away from the switch. (ie towards the front or the rear of the camper) I recall it goes maybe an inch or so. Then I squeeze it a bit to release the tabs holding it into the base and remove it.

I only removed it because it had water in it from a leak I mentioned in another thread (one dry screw on the Yakima tracks). But it would be a necessary step to removing the fixture to check wiring, so I can see why inquiring minds would want to know.

Phil, questions are good. I had a bunch when I started.
Desert Dave, thanks for the info.
I will pull the cover and check the wiring. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Agreed! As always tons of great information on this forum.

DD..thanks for the description .. otherwise I am certain I would have busted off a tab or two! Your gallery is also helpful...however I will stick to my 17' sea kayaks and leave the stubby slipper to you... :)

Phil

I don't think it's the wiring. Mine does it too. On almost all the lights. Not necessarily always when the battery is getting low either. Doesn't do it when plugged into shore power. Not sure what the deal is.

Oregon_Troutbum said:
I don't think it's the wiring. Mine does it too. On almost all the lights. Not necessarily always when the battery is getting low either. Doesn't do it when plugged into shore power. Not sure what the deal is.
I can concur with this. My LED also flickered when there is more than the usual load even with fully charged battery. On a hot summer night, I had both LED lights on (which I almost never do) with ceiling fan on high and fridge running, i had some flickering of the LED. I doubt its a loose ground. I think it has more to do with the LED.

I was curious about the LED's flickering too. I let the battery get pretty low this past trip and noticed one flickered when I was running the water pump. For some reason I thought LED's were either on or off - must have just dipped below the minimum voltage.

Hopefully Stan or someone at FWC can chime in on this. Many interesting responses and it sounds like this happening with a number us. jd

Plugged into shore power, the power supply will provide from 13.4 to 14.8 volts. After the battery is fully charged, it maintains voltage at 13.6 float voltage.

Without shore power, voltage depends on battery state of charge and battery load. Battery voltage could drop near 12.0 volts as state of charge drops pretty low and under full load like when fridge is running, lights on, radio playing, charging cellphone, and water pump cuts on & off while preparing food & furnace cuts on.

May need to consult LED fixture specs to see how the lights respond to voltage changes. Lots of variables to consider.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom