LED Lights flicker

Interesting subject. I've never noticed flicker on mine (all aftermarket). If I have a gripe with FWC (not sure about ATC) is they do take some shortcuts with wiring. Exterior lights are grounded to the siding instead of having a dedicated ground. I don't much care for the crimp connections they use. The wrong wiring used behind the lift panel (I think thats been upgraded finally). Overall I can't complain much about the build quality. I found very few things that needed fixing on mine (a few screws loose, couple minutes with a screwdriver) and nothing that necessitated a trip back to the factory.

I would think the leds in the FWC camper would be run off 12vdc which should not flicker with the proper voltage. No reason to use AC unless you wanted to waste energy.....

Another thing to consider is LEDs are made very cheaply overseas. Most are not exactly a high end product. Some are much better than others. If you have a fan running or similar that might be enough voltage fluctuation to make them flicker. They are a diode. which means they only deal with current in one direction. Electrical motor "noise" on the line can effect that. Especially when using the frame as a common ground. Frame ground is a pet peeve of mine. It's an unbalanced circuit. When cars went digital it should have been abandoned years ago for dedicated ground wiring.

Mic said:
My 2014 Eagle LED lights also flicker when the battery is low!
Mic..... Are your lights pancake style or the new strip LED lights? I have heard that some of the pancake lights are problematic.Mine are pancake.

I may be off base, but ...

Happyjax is right. They run on DC. And Stalking light is right too. If the battery voltage dips too low they will flicker instead of dimming further. Why? Check out these two DIY articles. The important point is the "forward voltage" and the fact that these units are mostly unregulated so they have no way to prevent flicker internally. If they used fewer LEDs in the circuit, they could regulate and have power to spare for low voltage inputs without flickering.

http://www.thedoityourselfworld.com/How-To-Make-A-12-V-LED-Light-Bulb.php

http://www.instructables.com/id/12v-LED-lights-for-Car-Home-Boat/

Back
Top Bottom