LED or Fluorescent ?

Ramblinman

Hi guys, Does anyone have any experience or insight with the different lighting systems? I am not sure what to order for my new Hawk?

I just ordered a new Hawk on October 7th, and went to Woodland a few times to walk through the showroom models and examine the different interior light offerings. Between LED and fluorescent, I chose fluorescent because the light spanned better for general purpose lighting. LED lighting was more focused and direct, which I think would be fine for reading or whatever, but for general overhead lighting I didn't feel the LED lights were sufficient. Fluorescent was much better, and I felt that the K-value of the fluorescent lights FWC chose to put in their campers is perfect.

They do put LED under the cabinets to illuminate the floor, which is nice, and LED works well there.

Keith

I do not know what FWC is using for LED but you should be able to find LED lighting that will far outshine fluorescent. Two years ago I used DrLED to find bright lighting for our FWC. It took some effort to find the right lights but it was worth it in terms of reduced power drain on the battery and better light in the camper.

Last week I replaced some of the compact fluorescents in our home with LEDs at one third the watts and far better light.

Fluorescents are on their way out and sooner or later you will need to replace them with LED.

I'm going to check out the LEDs again. You're right that this is the future. I'm also wondering what kind of LED that FWC uses. I'm also wondering if I should just stick with stock incandescent during the build and buy aftermarket LED bulbs. Going to explore this a bit more. Thanks

I like the stock approach because it is easy to decide when and what type/color of LED you want and put them in the bulb socket(s), the stock incandescant housings are fine. It is not an upgrade you have to immediately worry about. Besides if you get the camper with all the mods on day one, how will you entertain yourself later on?

K7MDL,

I see by your signature that your FWC is loaded. Any regrets? Do you think a loaded hawk is too heavy for 1998 Chev 1/2 Ton with air bags?

I know nothing about the 98 Chevy. I had a 2005 RAM 1500 short bed and it would have done OK with airbags though the suspension would have been stressed. I traded it in for a 2005 RAM2500 long bed. Same 5.7L gasser. The RAM1500 had lighter rated wheels and D range tires and only 1460lbs load, so it would have been overloaded easily with the Hawk or Grandby and all my stuff and trailer hitch weight. The brakes are awesome however in the 2003+ years. That is why they went from 16" to 17" wheels, for bigger discs.

With the 1/2T 1500 I towed a 6000lb new boat+trailer 1000 miles in the mountains no problem and after I got home, I looked at the 4 trailer brake discs and saw rust spots. After a trip they should be nice and shiny. The new trailer had air in the brake lines. After bleeding I finally felt what surge brakes really feel like when they are working properly. Truck never noticed.

When I got into the camper market I could not find a FWC locally so upgraded the truck and found a nice used 8ft fullsize camper a week later. I put air bags on to level the back and a rear sway bar on. Handled nice, probably 2400lbs all loaded up with my stuff, and then I tow a small motorocycle trailer. After I got the Grandby, it was light enough that I took off the airbags and rear sway bar and sold them. Worked fine though I wanted to lift the back a bit and so I put on Timbrens. I did not want airbags for offroad (stretching breakage). Drives very nice now, corners very flat.

The previous owner of my Grandby had it on a new 2006 Chevy 1/2 ton and he had no conerns that he expressed. He had 6000 miles on the combo.

In my case I run a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier often so I have an additional 400 lbs out past the bumper. I would not even try that camper/carrier combo on my 1/2 ton. I don't think twice with the 3/4ton. The gasser happens to be 2600lb payload (the diesel is rated 600lb less, heavier engine).

As for my Grandby, it is great. I put gas struts on and LED lights all around recently. I bought it locally here last February barely used, so it is near perfect condition. Furnace is nice for the spring and fall desert trips for my motorcycle events. With the solar panel on the roof I do not bother plugging it into AC ever. No fuss, no muss. The biggest issue on my to-do list is to make truck bed anchor bolt reinforcement plates before they pull through or bend up my truck bed too bad. I do like the extra storage room in a Grandby vs the Hawk, but often think about having the shorter wheel base for offroad use and easier parking. So far it had not been an issue, my offroading is rough forest roads at worst so far, not serious 4x4 challenges. I really like the low roof height to dodge low hanging tree branches on the forest roads. Given my frequent motorcycle trail riding/dusty road riding, I get good use from the outside shower, though only occasionally use the hot water heater. Only takes 15 minutes to heat up though. I use the camper with the top down on occasion, and with the top up it feels (and is) roomier than my full size 8ft was. Wife won't use a porta potty however, so it is just us guys camping these days. The full size had a self-contained wet bath, that was barely acceptable to her :).

In my case I run a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier often so I have an additional 400 lbs out past the bumper. I would not even try that camper/carrier combo on my 1/2 ton.

See you have a TE! I just picked up a TE250 and at times will haul it on my rear rack, Cool little machine.

So I went to FWC again yesterday to check out the LED vs Fluorescent thing again, and I am sticking with the fluorescent. There's just so much more light. How much do I need , I don't know, but in the display models they had, there was a huge difference. the LED camper had a very dim interior. I noticed you can get LED tubes for fluorescent fixtures, which might be the way I go later, and since the LED clusters would span all along the tube, then there would likely be a lot more light than the LED fixtures they put in that have two small clusters of LEDs per fixture.

Thanks for the update and the info. I am thinking that if a guy is in a pinch he could use those circular LED lights you buy at the hardware store. They are cheap and battery operated. This said, I do like the idea of using the Red LED lights so as to not blind yourself in the AM.

Just trying to do it right the first time.

Decisions Decisions.

So I went to FWC again yesterday to check out the LED vs Fluorescent thing again, and I am sticking with the fluorescent. There's just so much more light.

What kinds of LEDs were they running do you know?

I am thinking that if a guy is in a pinch he could use those circular LED lights you buy at the hardware store. They are cheap and battery operated.

I use those at night in my camper when less lighting is needed/desired such as getting into bed, bathroom runs, etc. Work great for that, I just keep on in the drawer and take it out/carry it around in the camper as needed rather than install it fixed somewhere.

We've been using the stick up LEDs over the bed area for reading (or our headlamps) they work great. I have yet to replace the batteries in either unit.

We have fluorescent lighting as well (came with our used FWC)...I didn't know there were LED tubes to replace the fluorescents, may look into that for the forward fixture. Will likely keep the fluorescent over the galley area as it is nice to have the bright light for food prep. Otherwise, we are rarely inside the camper.

I don't know if these are the exact ones, but they look like the ones FWC is using. It basically looks like an incandescent fixture, but with two LED clusters instead of two incandescent bulbs.

faa9186a264c6b7cd2adec3f3938.jpg

Here is a link to some LED tubes - pricey right now

http://store.marinebeam.com/t8-led-bulb.html

We've been using the stick up LEDs over the bed area for reading (or our headlamps) they work great. I have yet to replace the batteries in either unit.

Same here.

I don't know if these are the exact ones, but they look like the ones FWC is using. It basically looks like an incandescent fixture, but with two LED clusters instead of two incandescent bulbs.

faa9186a264c6b7cd2adec3f3938.jpg

That is a Kaper II unit (that's what I picked up for my new build). I need to write myself a note to compare against the florescents I have I currently have in my FWC when it's dark one of these nights.

The housing in the picture looks very similar to the stock lights in my 2006 Grandby which came with incandescant bulbs and used a rocker switch. Both bulbs come on, not switched separate. The bulbs were plenty of light for me though they draw 3amps. I replaced them with the Startlights NL250 3200K LED clusters with 921 base (1/2amp per pair) and they are as bright as the bulbs were, maybe a bit more, though have less beamwidth. When the top is up, the beamwidth is no issue. It is all the light I need for cooking and reading.

FWIW I just bought a battery (AA) LED from Harbor Freight, 24 LEDs on the main light and 3 on the end to be used as a Flashlight. Has a hook to hang it from, plenty bright, with a coupon cost me $2.50 :LOL:

I have 5 or 6 of these in various place in the truck and camper and they work great.
View attachment 12922

Lol, I have a few around as well, ey usually are free. That new one is pretty good, used it in the camper last night, for $2.50 it was almost worth the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom