Less War. More Parks.

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I believe it's important to understand the numbers we are working with here.

2012 estimated defense related expenditures: $1.030–$1.415 trillion

Currently proposed HR1363 bill increase in Pentagon budget: 7.6 billion

2011 National Park Service budget request: 3.14 billion

Budget problem? Let me present the obvious problem:
defensespending.png

It's time we stand up for investments at home.

Less War. More Parks.

Call me a hippy I guess :oops:

Okay, you're a hippy. I guess we are too. A billion here, a billion there, all of a sudden it adds up to some serious money.

I believe it's important to understand the numbers we are working with here.
2012 estimated defense related expenditures: $1.030–$1.415 trillion
Currently proposed HR1363 bill increase in Pentagon budget: 7.6 billion
2011 National Park Service budget request: 3.14 billion
Budget problem? Let me present the obvious problem:
It's time we stand up for investments at home.
Less War. More Parks.
Call me a hippy I guess :oops:

Hey, you can be anti-war -- especially anti-war-waste -- without being a hippie.
With 20% of the Federal budget going to Dept of Defense, there all kinds of rational folks who think that much/most of this is just a friggin' waste of limited resources...and that's without even getting into arguments about "is killing wrong?"

Think of the worthwhile programs we could afford to fund if we just reduced Defense spending by 20% of it's current level... (or if you're not a tax-and-spend Liberal like me, think of the reduced taxes we could afford
wink.gif
)

Wow DD, I find it hard to believe you opened up this forum to this topic. It's your website and you can do with it as you please. I made a mistake of talking politcs here once, a decision which I regret. This may well be my last post.

Wow DD, I find it hard to believe you opened up this forum to this topic. It's your website and you can do with it as you please. I made a mistake of talking politcs here once, a decision which I regret. This may well be my last post.

I can't think of any topic more relevant to this forum than the funding of our national parks.

I can't think of any topic more relevant to this forum than the funding of our national parks.

No one likes to admit they are wrong, but I was wrong and I agree with you DD. I humbly invite all to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition at http://www.sharetrails.org/. They are a grass roots orginization dedicated to keeping our public lands open to all respectful users of our public lands.

Our Parks have become political footballs. Ah, hell, everything seems to be a political football these days. Sad truth.

Now for my grumpy old man routine: "I remember a time when our parks were the envy of the world. Congress actually budgeted money for maintenance. Those days are gone. I'd like to see Congress gone."

I feel your frustration, DurangoSteve. But, what would you replace Congress with? As for me, I'd like to see a real democracy where the American public votes in people based on real issues instead of on emotional trigger sound bites paid for by big business. I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh? In the meantime, I wholly support DD's idea that Wander the West should advocate for the parks and lands we hold dear. It's reasoned action we can take against a very big machine.

I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh?

Ways to go on that one :( Critical thinking can be difficult to find in higher education sometimes, political correctness seems to have taken it's place.

Need to start charging those rich seniors more for park admission :LOL: I do mean that, wealthy people over 65 get a break, poor families don't.

I feel your frustration, DurangoSteve. But, what would you replace Congress with? As for me, I'd like to see a real democracy where the American public votes in people based on real issues instead of on emotional trigger sound bites paid for by big business. I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh? In the meantime, I wholly support DD's idea that Wander the West should advocate for the parks and lands we hold dear. It's reasoned action we can take against a very big machine.

Well said highz, I appreciate your comments. Change starts with a small group of rational committed citizens. Maybe our fearless leader, DD, has started something. I hope so. I like it when dreams come true.

I'd like to see the members of congress replaced. We have "representatives" completely focused on re-election and fundraising. I'd like to see the lobbyists run out of town. They have more influence than we the people have.

You're right about the lack of critical thinking in education and in the general population.

The national parks are a gift from previous generations, and we're letting that beautiful gift go to waste.

Maybe our fearless leader, DD, has started something.

So...are you guys suggesting that DD should run for Congress?!
ohmy.gif
Seems like the logical conclusion...but is he old enough?
wink.gif

Need to start charging those rich seniors more for park admission :LOL: I do mean that, wealthy people over 65 get a break, poor families don't.

You know, I would go for that even though I will be eligible for that discount all too soon. I won't be a rich senior, though. There are a LOT of seniors who are poor. Why not just ask for a sliding scale (and how would you enforce that)? Plus, the NPs charge by the carload. I would guess the average entry fee is $20 per carload. Depending on the size of the family, and considering the possibility of carpooling, it's still a bargain - a heck of a lot less than an afternoon at the movies after including drinks and popcorn. Then factor in the few free admission days per year and it doesn't seem so bad to me.

IMO the admission should be less not more. It's healthy to get folks out in nature. Reduce the Pentagons 2011 budget increase by half, double the Parks Service budget, problem solved. Easy sneezy.

The national parks are a gift from previous generations

I like this idea. We should be asking ourselves what of value we are leaving for future generations.

IMO the admission should be less not more. It's healthy to get folks out in nature. Reduce the Pentagons 2011 budget increase by half, double the Parks Service budget, problem solved. Easy sneezy.

Well said, but not only double the budget but do a little reorganization and get a greater percentage of that money to the ground.

Absolutely ski, the waste in government is obscene and if cleaned up could provide all the funding required to support our parks.

In rereading my original post I realized the comments are not appropriate for this forum so I've edited out my personal opinion regarding the efficiency of the gov't work force. I certainly don't want to detract from an otherwise important discussion here.

Back
Top Bottom