Let the fun (project) begin!

Straight Six

After months of searching I finally found a decent FWC that didn't annihilate my budget, wasn't 600 miles away, and will work perfectly for my family. It all seems like it sound with no structural issues or leaks other than needing lift panels (rear works fine but looks tired and the front one is dead), cab over wood replacement, and some pinhole sealing on the canvas.

I just picked it up before work today so I don't really have any pictures of it but Ill post the one I do have.

Also looking forward to what you do. It will be nice to have just what you want and be able to say you did it.

Be careful with the table saw.

Bill

I found the links for making and installing lift panels but unfortunately my front lift panel is missing so making one and using the existing hardware will be impossible. I just have the lower half of the lift panel with the handle still attached to it.

Would someone happen to have the dimensions measurements for the panels that they could share with me? Also, I could use help with what hinges would be best for using with the front panel.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#piano-hinges/=q5capr

On a side note, my little girl LOVES the "house" on my truck, she played in there for about an hour yesterday and even cried when it was time to pack it up and go inside.

Call Jeff or Marty at All Terrain Campers (800-446-1003) they would probably sell & ship you the hinges for a reasonable price. They would also be able to give you the dimensions you want (they probably built your camper while working at FWC).

Thanks Alley-Kat, I didn't have time to call today but I did send off an email to ATC.

Well, I had a busy day today but I managed to rip out the old "wood" cabover and get a piece of new plywood cut and prepped. Unfortunately I ran out of light and had to call it a day but I was having a real hard time attempting to get the new wood in place between that aluminum channel. Does anyone have any tricks or do I just need to disassemble half of the interior to get it in there?

Now I know why the previous owner didn't actually replace the overhead wood, he only covered it with another piece of plywood, It a real pain unless your interior is out. I did manage to get everything in place but to keep a perfect fit I ended up having to remove some of the interior or there was no way to get that wood in there. Unfortunately I once again ran out of time and only got the overhead wood set in place so it will be sealed and a final coat of paint will go on next week.

Im glad my next move is lift panels because when I put the top down yesterday I heard the real lift panel giving up the last of it life, so now I know its got to be replaced when the front one is replaced.

I know we have a thread around here somewhere on replacing the wood. Are you going to do the lift panels yourself? After seeing posts here on how to do it, its not a project I'd be comfortable with.

Its been a while, im not dead, the camper isn't forgotten, im just short on time, money, and more money. I recently ordered my liner from ATC and got that thing installed in 2 days with the help of a friend and my Dad, but unfortunately the liner was about 12 inches or so too long and I needed to fold it over in the rear (not sure if my measurements were bad or its a osfa fit). Now I need to hammer out my new lift panels to not only replace the completely broken ones I had but to accommodate the new taller liner. I also have a new (older) truck with air bags and a 6spd manual that really handles the camper a lot better than the Auto garbage I had in my old truck.

My metal working skills are pretty damn good but wood and I don't get along too well so does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut the 4mm plywood and not rip it up? Also any recommendations for for a sealer (that dries fast, I have time limitations)? One more thing, I want to change my interior bulbs to LED but all of mine say "12v China" im not sure what the bulb is, can anyone tell me what bulb is in there?

Nice work! My bulbs were #1156. You can probably take one to a local RV dealer and get some replacements. It will cost more than ordering from Amazon but will verify the fit.

Thanks, ordered some 1156's. Does anyone have a basic wiring diagram for an early FWC like mine? I looked at my wiring for the first time today and realized it not good at all...I just want to have illumination and a working water pump, I have a grp31 battery, and a carger/battery isolator. It would be awesome if someone could save me some time and share a good simple setup for me so I can rewire and get back to the real difficult work still ahead of me.

Rite now I have a fuse block with two sets of pos and neg wires terminating in the battery area held together with 20lbs of red electrical tape and wire nuts...

I have run into another issue after sorting out too much other non sense. Now that my lift panels are taller the old latch system in the rear will no longer reach up to the roof to lock the rear panel in place. Does anyone have a picture of the newer strap style that they could post for me? Or does anyone have any other ideas aside from me just exteding my current latch or using the newer strap style?

Thank you but I have to admit that working with wood is pretty foreign to me, my tools were mostly borrowed, and I ended up learning a lot from this. I can also say that if I end up having issues with my hinges and end up rebuilding the panels yet again I will look for something other than wood to use because there is zero forgiveness when it comes to 4mm plywood and I have my doubts about strength and longevity.

Back
Top Bottom