License and Title Requirements

Fitwon

Advanced Member
Just got the good news from Oregon's DMV website. My Outfitter Caribou 8' does not meet the definition of a "camper" as the floor to ceiling height is less than 5'5" while it is in the travel position! MY outside floor to top distance is only 5'1" so I am no where near it------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a great country or what?????? No license tax!! No registration tax!!! No state fees!!! No Plates!!! Are ya feeling the love?? My state of Oregon must love me!!!!!:D

Folks, I am going to take the few hundred dollars I saved for taxes, registration and fees and set it aside for my Yukon trip!!!

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 189
I never thought about states hitting them up :mad: They haven't discovered that source of revenue in NM.

hush--keep it on the down low--NM may be watching:eek:

I did pay my dog tax.049.JPG

You will also save BIG bucks when you take your new rig to Alaska on the ferry!

Tell me more Stew! I am planning a trip next summer to The Yukon then to Alaska for some Sockeye action and was considering ferrying back. I am heading to Watson Lake to trace my Dad's work on the Alaska-Canadian Hwy and "wet a line" along the way.

Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG

What will it cost Anchorage to Bellingham, Wa on the Ferry with my Ram and Outfitter on my way home? any idea?

:eek:

What tax are you guys are referring to? You still need a plate for the truck right?

In Oregon "Campers" are required to be licenced and titled by the State. However, FWC and Outfitters or any soft sided "camper" generally does not meet the definition of "Camper" by DMV (If floor to ceiling is less than 5'5" when in the closed/travel position it is not a "Camper").

So some soft sided pop ups (Like Outfitter Apex) are "Campers" and most are not (like Outfitter Caribou; FWC, Phoenix, Lite-Craft, Hallmark). All regular hard sided campers must be licenced and titled but not my rig.

Truck plates and title--yes--Outfitter Camper--no plates or title in Oregon. We are also a no sales tax state, so we pay no tax when we purchase a camper or car. However we pay up to 10% in income tax.

Life is better with low taxes and low fees. :rolleyes:Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 004.JPG

In Oregon "Campers" are required to be licenced and titled by the State. However, FWC and Outfitters or any soft sided "camper" generally does not meet the definition of "Camper" by DMV (If floor to ceiling is less than 5'5" when in the closed/travel position it is not a "Camper").

So some soft sided pop ups (Like Outfitter Apex) are "Campers" and most are not (like Outfitter Caribou; FWC, Phoenix, Lite-Craft, Hallmark). All regular hard sided campers must be licenced and titled but not my rig.

Truck plates and title--yes--Outfitter Camper--no plates or title in Oregon. We are also a no sales tax state, so we pay no tax when we purchase a camper or car. However we pay up to 10% in income tax.

Life is better with low taxes and low fees. :rolleyes:View attachment 9446

I see, camper tax and title.... :rolleyes: . Ya, no title/tax = more travel fund for you!

I don't think most full sized trucks with campers on them will be under height for the ferries ?

I'm not sure what the limit is, but I think (think ?) the ferries have a max. height of around 7' feet.

I'm sure someone from Alaska / Washington / of BC Canada can chime in ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• Ferry with camper under 7 feet.jpg
    Ferry with camper under 7 feet.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 162
I don't think most full sized trucks with campers on them will be under height for the ferries ?

I'm not sure what the limit is, but I think (think ?) the ferries have a max. height of around 7' feet.

I'm sure someone from Alaska / Washington / of BC Canada can chime in ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones in the puget sound are normally 7'-6" and under for normal rates then there is an over height fee. Not sure what the ones going to to Alaska dictate. My rig just makes it at ~7'-3" at the roof rack.

Sorry, I'm wrong. I guess I was thinking of the WA ferries. The Alaska Ferries charge by length and width, not height.

This is what the Alaska Ferry website says:

Transporting Vehicles

When transporting a vehicle the cost of a vehicle does not include the driver. Any vehicle that may be driven or towed legally on a highway may be transported on an AMHS ferry. Vehicle fares are determined by the overall length and width of the vehicle. Do not attempt to estimate your vehicle length, you must accurately measure your vehicle to avoid additional charges and the potential for being moved to a later sailing due to size restrictions.

Oversize Vehicles

Vehicles 102-107 inches wide will be charged approximately 125% of the fare listed for the vehicle length. Vehicles over 108 inches wide will be charged approximately 150% of the fare listed for the vehicle length. When transporting a towed trailer or vehicle, the overall connected length is used to determine fares.Do not attempt to estimate your vehicle length. Vehicles must be measured and booked accurately to ensure space availability onboard. Vehicles are subject to measuring at the terminal on date of departure and will be charged for the additional length and/or width if space is available. If no additional space is available for vehicles booked incorrectly, the next available sailing may be reserved.

Back
Top Bottom