LiFePo4 (Lithium Ion) Battery Project Photos

Thanks for the response. If I can't replace the IQ4 (it's my understanding that the IQ4 chip is internal on my charger) is there a different type of charger/shorepower unit that I could replace it with other than buying the IOTA that does have the lithium module?

The progressive dynamics pd9130lv would be a close to drop in replacement for the iota.

I was adding an inverter anyway so I went with an inverter/charger/converter combo - xantrex freedom xc.

This thread seems like a good place to aggregate LiFePO4 system information so I am posting this here. cdbrow1, let me know if you want me to move this into my own thread, not trying to hijack!

Yesterday, I completed a LiFePO4 upgrade in my new to me 2015 Fleet FD. All initial testing looks good. Here is my setup:

• 200AH LifeBlue Battery - I went with LifeBlue because their built-in BMS includes low temperature protection for charging - the BMS won't allow the battery to charge below 32F. We ski out of the camper a lot, so low temperature protection was a major requirement for me. LifeBlue also has the best warranty among the "affordable" LiFePO4 manufacturers. The batteries include built-in Bluetooth access to SoC (similar to StarkPower), so that saved me the cost of installing a dedicated battery monitor.

• Xantrex Freedom XC 1000 Inverter/Charger - I wanted to go lower wattage, but couldn't find a lower wattage pure sine inverter with a reasonable charging capacity. Chose the xantrex for affordability and low quiescent current.

• 2 x 100W Lensun panels - rooftop, 1 x 100W portable flexible panel - I went with the Lensun panels for the roof for improved durability over the typical flexible panels. I have used the cheaper flexible panels in past builds. Now that I have them, Lensun vs the cheaper flexible panels are definitely different categories.. the Lensun panels are what I would consider "flat" rigid panels, they are not very flexible and seem like they would be pretty easy to damage before/during installation. If I did it again I would use the cheap flexible panels and attach them in a way that they would be easy to swap out when they fail.

• Zamp Solar ZS-30a Controller - I usually use the Bogart Engineering charge controller/battery monitor combo, but found a Zamp RV takeoff on eBay for really cheap.

• Sterling Power BB1230 Battery to Battery charger - Nice, fully programmable 3-stage alternator charger and relay. I haven't been able to use this enough to know if it was worth the cost.

I left most of the factory DC circuit wiring intact. Wiring between battery, buss bars, and inverter is 2AWG. I ripped out all of the solid romex wire and replaced it with stranded marine triplex. FWC wins the award for the most superfluous screw-mount wire ties.

+2 on a Lithium capable charger. I purchased this one below. Good Forum feedback & I liked what I found in research. This Forum has great folks willing to share & pool info. I am learning as I go.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWTHP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought 2 of these panels. I actually intended to purchase Lensun as well, but for all the reasons above, and due to a low initial cost, that I could not overlook, I am getting these. Good Forum feedback. No long term usage reviews, so we are all being guinea pigs.
https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-flexible-bendable-120-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-3/

My plan is only using 12v power, so no inverter. Because of that I abandoning my car battery & alternator to begin with & will try w/o. Because of the complications between engine & house lithium battery, a battery to battery charger seems necessary. Stark recommended this one to me, but I will not be needing one. It is the same one as listed above. Good video included.
http://www.sterling-power-usa.com/SterlingPower12volt-12volt-30ampbatterytobatterycharger.aspx

I bought one Stark. If you get a Stark, use this coupon code ..... coupontwobattery .... 5% off ...

I purchased this controller but am now wondering if the Bluetooth is applicable way off grid w/o spending more money on a Lorawan module. They have a non integrated Bluetooth option.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZJ3L13/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Addendum:

I will try to bow out of this thread as I have probably hijacked it along the way. Thanks to cdbrow1 who amassed & shared his initial journies. It was invaluable to me along with the other many informantive replies. I will try to document my install & to report on the qualities of my components as I gain more experience.

fwctaco: I see you bought the 200AH LifeBlue battery. I would be very interested in your review and impressions of this battery, if you have the time. I am interested in buying this battery for my Grandby.

Thanks, Zirdu.

So far, so good with the 200AH LifeBlue battery. I have not been able to put it through any real camping tests yet, but have charged and discharged a few times in the driveway without issues. The real test will be longevity and ensuring that the BMS works correctly and disallows charging under 32F.

The only disadvantage of the 200AH battery is that it is 100A max discharge, so it won't work if you want to do a 2000W inverter. You would need to do 2 100AH batteries in parallel to get 200A max discharge.

If you don't do much cold weather camping and aren't worried about the BMS controlling charging below 32F, then it is hard to beat the price for StarkPower 100AH batteries at $850 ea + the coupon code listed above.

Just a quickie here ..... StarkPower has a “patented” proprietary BMS included in their batteries. A WTW forum member relayed to me that his two 100ah StarkPowers, run in parallel, are doing great after 3 years. This is not a testimonial. We are all guinea pigs for the future. LifeBlue looks like a great battery. I am having to install everything as I will be getting a Shell in April. My main goal is to keep my expensive lithium battery healthy.

Thanks for the input on the LifeBlue battery so far.

You mention that the 200AH battery is limited to a 100 amp max discharge. I was aware of this, but thought it couldn't possibly be a problem. I thought the FWC electrical system was basically limited to 30 amps, so you would never possibly use even as much as 100 amps. What am I missing? I don't use an inverter, except for a very small one that I plug into the cigarette lighter on rare occasions. Would you have to put in extra heavy duty wiring somewhere to accomadate a 2000W inverter?

By the way, LifeBlue web site says that by the end of this month they are coming out with an "improved" version of their 200AH battery that, among other things, will have 200 amp max discharge.

paddlesurf.net said:
Thanks for the response. If I can't replace the IQ4 (it's my understanding that the IQ4 chip is internal on my charger) is there a different type of charger/shorepower unit that I could replace it with other than buying the IOTA that does have the lithium module?
You can adjust the output of the Iota chargers through a small trimmer potentiometer inside the unit:
http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/24974/iota-charger-potentiometer

It is also my understanding that you can also unplug the IQ4 module internally as lithiums don't need or want multi-stage charging.

I want to offer some real world feedback on a NOCO Genius G7200 as it pertains to my lithium battery. After more discussion with StarkPower about my Solar System Setup using a LiFePo4 Battery bank, maintenance charge requirements, engine to house connection, shore power charging & more ... BTW, NOCO worked fine, just too slow to be useful to me, it may be great for AGM, Lead etc ... results below:
I hooked my recently purchased NOCO to my lithium battery. I wanted to confirm & test for myself what had been discussed. After 70 minutes my charger added only 4% (4ah). The initial SoC was 59% (59ah). If usage had depleted 80% (80ah), it would take 23 hours to fully charge. The NOCO at 7.2 amps is under powered for my use. I should have been lithium specific, so I will attempt to return NOCO to Amazon. I will post a link below that offers LiFePo4 Battery choices & the charger I am now considering. I will research further. I will purchase from someone a 12v 30amp Charger or maybe 45amp, 20amp minimum IMO. The Bluetooth worked very well in my Battery, great monitoring detail. I am posting my learning curve.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/lithium-battery-chargers/

For those looking at the Sterling Power battery to battery BB12x0 models, they are the same as the ProMarine 12x0P models as far as I have been able to determine. The technology was co-developed between the two companies,

Craig

Craig,

I think the Promariner 12x0P chargers are AC to DC chargers. They do have a line of DC to DC chargers that are the same as the older model Sterling DC to DC chargers.

Not sure what I may have mis-communicated. The ProMariner ProNautic P model battery to battery charger technology is the same as the Sterling Pro-Charge Ultra. It was a jointly developed charger technology, however, the development agreement ended and the companies are marketing the technology under their own own names and models now.

Ref:

Craig,

The Pronautic P and Pro-Charge Ultra series are both AC to DC chargers meant for charging your battery bank from shore power. They are indeed the same technology shared between Sterling and Promariner.

Sterling has another line, the Pro Batt Ultra (http://www.sterling-power-usa.com/batterytobatterychargers.aspx)
, which is the BB12x0 series - these are DC to DC chargers. Promariner does not have an updated DC to DC charger line, but they do have one that is the same as the older Sterling DC to DC chargers, known as the Promariner DMC chargers (http://www.promariner.com/en/products/dc-to-dc-charging-systems).

fwctaco,

You are of course correct. Thanks for correcting my error.

I don't know how I got this all messed up. Something about late night and wee hour of the morning web searching and such I guess.

I started out looking at the DC to DC chargers and somehow wound up looking at the AC - DC charger from a web link video I think, then I went tangent from there. Sigh!

Anyway, I agree you have this correct in your comment.

Regards,
Craig

It's been a long time since I posted an update.

Over the last 8 months or so there has been zero issues with the set up. All three chargers (land, solar and alternator) are working and the batteries seem to have as much power as day one. They are coming up on three years old.

The most annoying problem has been the regulator - I think it comes down to heat. The turbo diesel engine, combined with the high temperatures in the Sac Valley seem to work together. I have put a temp probe on the regulator and stopped during traffic temperature can get to 160 degrees. I am sure that was the cause of some of the regulator failures. BALMAR has made several improvements in their hardware and they tell me this unit should hold up - we will see. If I had to do it over again I would try to find another way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom