Lift Struts

TrapperMike

Advanced Member
I had the new Hawk shell installed last week. Got home and the temperatures were in the high 30's F and the top popped up very easily. The camper is now sitting in the cold garage on a wheeled dolly.

After several days of sub-zero F temps, it warmed up today to the mid 20's F. Thought I would pop up the top and start figuring out the build. Was I in for a surprise at how difficult it was to pop the top up. I even walked around the camper again to make sure I didn't forget a turnbuckle (even though I knew I did not forget one).

Essentially, the struts performed no function whatsoever in cool (not really cold) temps. Should mention that I am a very fit person with no back problems. The moral of the story is that I guess I should invest in one of those speaker stand lifts that are mentioned in the forum when I plan on using the camper in cold temperatures. Not sure if higher capacity lift struts would be any improvement when it is very cold out.

I have used the lift struts in those temps and haven't had that issue. They may be a little "stickier" but they still function. Because it's so cold I could see the desire to shut the door while you're inside. If you are doing this, it will be extremely hard to lift the roof because of the needed displacement of air.

Good Luck,
Chris

Chris - You reminded me of what my installer said. I think the door was open, but will give it a try again tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. Rookie mistake on my part if it pops up easily tomorrow.
Good luck trout fishing.

I agree that the first thing to check is to make sure the back door is open when you raise the top. It is almost impossible to raise the roof with the door closed....(don't ask how I know that)

Rob85,
Looks like you have some old literature. The system shown in that PDF was recalled. They had a fix that used some brackets to reinforce the threaded holes but they eventually went with a different bracket altogether. The only money you will probably save would be if you could find the struts less expensive somewhere.

Chris

TrapperMike, I had the door closed by mistake one time when i was trying to lower the roof. I realized the problem, opened the door and no problems. We have never had an issue with the the lift struts.

Rob85, My recommendation would be to have FWC do the install. If you are comfortable doing it yourself then go for it. The recall issue was in early or mid 2014, The issue was corrected when we took deliver in August 2014 and the new brackets were on our camper.

jd

Longhorn,
I think they may have changed again since you took delivery (if yours has the threaded post hole). Based on what I saw at the dealer they have gone with a screw in bracket that lifts the struts further away from he camper.

Oregon troutbum,
I heard they did do some retrofitting for their gas strut prep only. The reason I uploaded the document for Trappermike was primarily so he could see what gas struts he needed and the length. FWC price for the whole installation is $325. The Prep with the ball joints is $100 and the struts when bought separately are not an additional $225. I have found them on ebay for a lot cheaper for four. FWC also has an installation video for the gas struts which takes just a few minutes to install.

longhorn1 said:
TrapperMike, I had the door closed by mistake one time when i was trying to lower the roof. I realized the problem, opened the door and no problems. We have never had an issue with the the lift struts.

Rob85, My recommendation would be to have FWC do the install. If you are comfortable doing it yourself then go for it. The recall issue was in early or mid 2014, The issue was corrected when we took deliver in August 2014 and the new brackets were on our camper.

jd
Not only is it almost impossible to lower the roof with the door closed,you will also cause the little straps,3 of them attached between the lift panels and liner,to tare away from the liner.
I did this to one of my front ones,the middle one .Now only issue is I have to make sure the liner is tucked in.
"door open to lower,door open to raise"
Frank

Oregon troutbum,
I heard they did do some retrofitting for their gas strut prep only. The reason I uploaded the document for Trappermike was primarily so he could see what gas struts he needed and the length. FWC price for the whole installation is $325. The Prep with the ball joints is $100 and the struts when bought separately are not an additional $225. I have found them on ebay for a lot cheaper for four. FWC also has an installation video for the gas struts which takes just a few minutes to install.
Copy that Rob. Makes sense. I bought some inexpensive struts that worked fine for a season but they started rusting shortly. Anyone out there had any luck with the stainless steel "marine version" struts?

Copy that Rob. Makes sense. I bought some inexpensive struts that worked fine for a season but they started rusting shortly. Anyone out there had any luck with the stainless steel "marine version" struts?
Rob,
I found this on eBay:

Members
303 posts
LocationWestern Oregon

Posted Today, 08:09 PM

Rob85, on 15 Feb 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Oregon troutbum,

Rob,
I found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitro-Prop-Gas-Spring-Strut-Shock-Ball-Mount-OFF-SET-Counter-Balance-Bracket-/371548986593?vxp=mtr&hash=item56820b9ce1

This looks like the bracket they are using now. Not bad for $3 each. Wonder what material it is and if it's rust resistant.

Oregon_Troutbum said:
Rob,
I found this on eBay:

Members
303 posts
LocationWestern Oregon

Posted Today, 08:09 PM

Rob85, on 15 Feb 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Oregon troutbum,

Rob,
I found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitro-Prop-Gas-Spring-Strut-Shock-Ball-Mount-OFF-SET-Counter-Balance-Bracket-/371548986593?vxp=mtr&hash=item56820b9ce1

This looks like the bracket they are using now. Not bad for $3 each. Wonder what material it is and if it's rust resistant.
Can you share the link of installation video? I'm getting some corrosion on the bracket. I order my camper without the struts.

Back
Top Bottom