Lightweight Ladders for Camper-Roof Access

craig333 said:
Just remember if you have one out in a group someone is going to want to borrow it.

Much like my shovel. Why no one else carries a shovel I don't know :)
I don't mind if others want to use my ladder -- $25/hr, 1-hour minimum.

(Doesn't everyone carry a shovel? :oops: I always do. :unsure: )

MarkBC said:
Haven't tried it, but it seems like it would work -- IF you had a good, sound, anchor point
thumb.jpg
or points up there. Maybe a couple of these into the roof frame?

Before buying a ladder I semi-considered one of those flexible ladders like you might hang from a second-story window sill to escape from a burning house -- hang it off the roof somehow. But that didn't seem feasible (for one thing, probably couldn't hook the hangers on the roof without putting too much pressure on a small area) so I abandoned the idea.
I was thinking that since there are some climbers on this forum, that someone would have tried it. I am thinking of webbing to go completely over the camper, attaching to something solid on the other side would spread the weight out better. I have the climbing gear and I am getting too old and soft to do that serious climbing again, so repurpose!

MarkBC said:
I echo what K6ON said: I haven't needed a ladder at all -- since all my trips have gone OK without one.

But it's in the category of "Might I sometime have a use for it?" Yes.

When not being used to access the roof to tilt my solar panels...
...then maybe to reach up high on trees and cacti when all the low-hanging fruit has been harvested by others not similarly equipped. ;)
I do longer trips (4 - 6 weeks), so I would like something to be able to check and clean off the solar panels. Right now I carry a 4-step ladder, but it takes up space. étriers pack very small and light.

So, a friend of mine the other day popped out this little "fireman's" ladder and I told him that I HAD to liberate it from him. It took a little horse tradin' but I finally wrangled it out of him by agreeing to give him a rifle scope. What he didn't remember is that HE was the one who gave me the rifle scope a few years ago... So, all in all, I think I came out pretty good.

IMG_0413.JPG
This is how it is when it's collapsed.

IMG_0414.JPG
And this is how it looks when deployed.

It's taller and much, much sturdier than the little RV bunk bed ladder I had before.

Price is in the ballpark. Tall enough? Probably. Testing mine I didn't need to fully extend it.

100acrehuphalump said:
I thought about it a bit more. I'd rather have the taller extended 10-12' ones, in case I need to get to the top while it's in full up position. I can still use the ladder when the pop up is down without fully extending the ladder. MarkBC 's picture sold me on that. Thanks
Yep -- I wanted to be able to easily reach the roof when the roof is raised.
It lets me tilt my solar panels while the roof is up, and it makes it quicker to get up on top when needed to escape bears or moose or javelina.

post-2431-0-77065600-1421965635_thumb.jpg

FD attic ladders (folding). New. Very light weight. Narrow. Various lengths. Quality ($), but worth it to some.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/alco-lite-aluminum-folding-ladders.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAvKunBRCfsum9z6fu_5IBEiQAu4lg4i4-yfRdBt5h0ohKFkU_d3cZeOVckGiuL9cVYvM5dH4aArFQ8P8HAQ

If you remove your camper jacks on your rig, this could ride attached to your camper brackets for easy (low) access.
I would (will?) have a waterproof vinyl cover custom made to protect it.....and to hide it from the aluminum "harvesters" (read thieves).
It would be put inside the camper if parked anywhere deemed "risky".

I'm thinkin' I'll go this route, but at that price.....
I'll hafta think some more :)

I can't see needing to get to the top when the roof is raised. As javelina thats why I have a dog.

The main reason I would consider carrying a tall ladder is for when there is a heavy snowfall while camped. I'd definitely want to clear off most of the snow before I lowered the top. A snow rake might be fine for a lowered top, but raised?

highz said:
...A snow rake might be fine for a lowered top, but raised?
Yes, while raised -- it's possible:

_DSC7326.jpg

See this post where I described its use.

But sure -- using a ladder and a roof rake would make it easier, especially for shorter people.

I'd be worried about that putting a lot of unnecessary stress on the camper to be leaning on the top part w/ so much weight.... How does it feel to you?

MarkBC said:
And it works! :)

attachicon.gif
Xtend-Climb-Ladder-1.jpg

It's more stable/sturdy than I was expecting -- it didn't wiggle much even when I had to hurry up the ladder to beat the camera self-timer. ;)

And I confirmed that it will fit behind the couch in under-used space there.

It's a couple sections taller than I needed, maybe (two sections were not extended in this trial), but better too tall than too short.

Been wanting one of those telescoping ladders for a while. One 12.5 came down to $36 today on amazon but they wanted much more in shipping than I was willing to dole out. The wait continues. My primary reason for wanting one is for access to rocks/boulders for photography.

ETAV8R - thanks for the heads up on Amazon pricing. I have been wanting one, but our hardware store is charging +$100. So I will be getting a belated Christmas present for myself.

I use mine frequently for rolling the storm windows up or down and it seems very stable with the roof up.

Back
Top Bottom